20%  [ 11 ]
Absolution Calling
 20%  [ 11 ]
Dance Like You're Dumb
 16%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 53

azIthinkIiz
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Rank the Songs on Side A! Reply with quote

I thought it'd be fun and interesting to see how everyone ranks this EP since there are only 4 songs. Rank the songs in the comments & choose your favorite for the poll.

Can't wait to see everyone's opinions!

Here's my ranking:

1. Absolution Calling - Love the energy. Fell it love with it first listen. Love the "Untie, A little bit dies, a little each time, the medicine smiles." part. Really drives the song.

2. Make Out Party - I'm actually a huge fan of Rebel Girls so I guess I just like it when Incubus does something unexpected. I can get over the lyrics. This song grew on me and I feel like it will grow on a lot of fans.

3. Trust Fall - Enjoy the live version a whole lot more than the studio version. Love the ending. Will be an awesome song to end a setlist on only to come back out for a encore.

4. Dance Like You're Dumb - Blah. I'm not hearing what others are. Switchblade 2.0 for sure. And the gospel part seems forced. I'm sure seeing it live will change my mind.

So that's my 1 to 4. How do you guys rank the 4 songs???

Last edited by azIthinkIiz on Tue May 12, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, but I'm going to wait a little while to process the EP in better quality a little more.
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust Fall will remain my favorite. In my eyes, the band usually produces one to three "epic" non-single per album cycle and I think Trust Fall shares similar qualities with the rest of them. These are my picks, though some may disagree on a few of them or have their own definition for "epic".

'97: Vitamin, Summer Romance, Nebula
'99: The Warmth, Crowded Elevator
'01: Just a Phase, Under My Umbrella, Aqueous Transmission
'04: A Crow Left of the Murder, Sick Sad Little World, Pistola
'06: Pendulous Threads, Punch Drunk, Look Alive
'11: Surface To Air, In The Company of Wolves, Tomorrow's Food
'15: Trust Fall

However, if Trust Fall gets released as a single, then it fits with the line of rock hits from each record (Pardon Me, Wish You Were Here, Megalomaniac, Anna Molly, Adolescents).

I will say though, Dance Like You're Dumb has the most potential to grow on me.
jordocean
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard DLYD in high quality yet, but based off of the version I did hear, I'd say for very early impressions, that one may be my favorite. MOP is definitely really solid too. I'd say the title track is going to be a staple in the lineup for years to come, lots of potential to play with the track live.
azIthinkIiz
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger wrote:
Good idea, but I'm going to wait a little while to process the EP in better quality a little more.

For sure. Just thought this could also be a place to see how people's opinions of the rankings change over time.

But man, the energy on this EP is evident. Such a needed departure from INNW for not just the fans but I think for the band as well. You can tell they're having fun. They seem to have a harmony together that's been absent for the past two albums.
SBOLLI1
Familiar

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I feel like Trust Fall might actually be my least favorite, either that or Make Out Party.

I like the verses and I love the way it just kicks your ass when the whole band comes in for the first time, but the chorus is somewhat underwhelming. But my biggest gripe is the middle of the song. I feel like they had tons of potential there, but instead they just went straight back to the opening riff. A squandered opportunity, in my opinion.

Dance Like You're Dumb and Absolution Calling are my top songs. Both full of energy and awesomeness. The only problem I have with DLYD is that weird synth solo right before the bridge with the choir comes in. But I freakin' love the way that part sounds I bounce side to side whenever I hear it.
Rickety Cricket
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Make Out Party - For me MOP is far and away the best track. And really the only track that I like what Brandon is doing vocally throughout. While the title is weak the lyrics are funny and enjoyable. And i really like the heaviness in the main riff.

2.) Absolution Calling - Absolution calling is a decent song but unspectacular. I don't really enjoy the layering of the vocals and the overly grandiose tone but the instrumentals are tight. I cant put my finger on it but it sounds familiar to another song.

3.) Trust Fall - For me the chorus completely kills the song, it doesn't fit the music and Brandon using the word love makes me cringe. And again i don't like the amount layering on the vocals and the echoing. Its a shame because i think the verses are pretty damn good.

4.) Dance Like Your Dumb - Meh

Overall, I think the songs need a little bit of tightening up and a little bit less production.
The Mike
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust fall is by far my favorite thus far. I haven't listed to it on my good speakers, but the first chorus seems to be missing some oomph if you will. The bridge has a good build up, lyrically and musically, and the lyrics over the chorus are good, but I feel the instruments are weak. The second chorus really pulls me in.

Dance Like Your Dumb is my next favroite save for the preachy business near the end. Nothing fancy to this song other than it makes me nod my head.

Absoultion calling. I really like the music in the song. I hate the chours lyrics I don't know why. I think it is the way he rings out "not". I think it just kills the momentum of the song.

Make Out Part - meh. I didn't really like when Brandon started using a ton of falsetto. I think a youtube commenter said it best - when did deftones and Justin Timberlake make a song :p
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickety Cricket wrote:
1.) Make Out Party - For me MOP is far and away the best track. And really the only track that I like what Brandon is doing vocally throughout. While the title is weak the lyrics are funny and enjoyable. And i really like the heaviness in the main riff.

2.) Absolution Calling - Absolution calling is a decent song but unspectacular. I don't really enjoy the layering of the vocals and the overly grandiose tone but the instrumentals are tight. I cant put my finger on it but it sounds familiar to another song.

3.) Trust Fall - For me the chorus completely kills the song, it doesn't fit the music and Brandon using the word love makes me cringe. And again i don't like the amount layering on the vocals and the echoing. Its a shame because i think the verses are pretty damn good.

4.) Dance Like Your Dumb - Meh

Overall, I think the songs need a little bit of tightening up and a little bit less production.

Same order for me.

Why I chose MOP as my top track? It's the most interesting song instrumentally. It's slow and sludgy, it's got some distortion with a pretty freaky guitar riff - especially the part where Mike bends the strings. When he does it, it sounds like the song is being dragged across the room onto the next bar. I really like stuff like that and the idea that these guys experimented and were able to write something unique. The lyrics don't even bother me because the song is executed quite well. In fact, it kind of added to the fearless nature of the song's writing process.

Listening to MOP made me think of another song- although sounding nothing like MOP, Soundgarden's "She Likes Surprises" had the same qualities: a bit awkward, weird riffs, and just really experimental. MOP is nowhere near as flawless as the soundgarden track, but if they keep at it, I think they might start captivating / inspiring other people again.

On the other hand, the other tracks seem a bit "safe" / generic / traditional. Worst offender is DLYD. Jose's drumming just BORES me on this track. The dude needs to step up and write something interesting on the drums. At least Mikey/Ben is doing something interesting. (I don't know what the hell Kil is doing in this EP to be honest)

Last edited by tingky on Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kil is pretty obvious to hear on the bridges of Make Out Party and Dance Like You're Dumb, right? A lot of synths there, and I'm sure that it is Kil playing them.
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger wrote:
Kil is pretty obvious to hear on the bridges of Make Out Party and Dance Like You're Dumb, right? A lot of synths there, and I'm sure that it is Kil playing them.

Right. Thanks for pointing that out.

Obviously whoever said Kil went back to scratching in this record is full of shit.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, besides the sample at the beginning of DLYD (which also can be heard very faintly in the middle part), there is nothing of the old-Kil work on this EP.
x016x
Zeta

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a tiny bit harder than their last album for sure. The way Trustfall kicks in at the beginning is an energy I haven't heard from Incubus since Light Grenades. I would rank the tracks from best to worst with Trustfall being the best, Absolution Calling second best, Make Out Party third and Dance Like You're Dumb being last. That seems fair to me. I even gave Make Out Party another listen before coming to a decision and I still would put Trustfall at the top just on its slightly faster tempo alone. I hope Side B is better though, just saying. It's good to hear new music from my favorite band but 4 tracks seems like a cruel tease. hah

2/23/00, 7/30/03, 06/25/04, 01/31/07, 08/09/07, 08/04/09, 08/05/09, 7/11/11, 09/03/11, 09/07/11, 08/15/12, 7/31/15, 8/05/15
bizkitboy1224
Zeta

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them best to worst in their exact track order.

Trust Fall>MOP>Absolution Calling>DYLD

Hoping Side B is longer and better. Impressed with the effort nonetheless and I think Trust Fall is a great song. I like Make Out Party a lot too.
HAM
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust Fall.................DLYD/Absolution Calling....MOP
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few days of listening to the complete EP in good quality this is my ranking:

1. Dance Like You're Dumb
I feel that Incubus never had a song that sounded so exactly as what the title predicts (all though... Friends and Lovers...). Maybe it's because I've been into Death From Above 1979 and Royal Blood a lot lately, but songs driven by a heavy bass are just so enjoyable. It's simple, energetic and effective. The lyrics, I don't mind them at all, like some people seem to do.

2. Trust Fall
Actually, this song has been losing some it's magic for me the past few weeks. I loved it from the first time we heard the live version, thought it may be a top-10 Incubus contender for me, but Ive come back from that. When I first heard it, both live and studio, I thought it was pretty heavy, the sound was pretty full. That has faded a bit for me. But still a great song, better than anything on INNW (except Surface to Air), most of Light Grenades and some of Crow.

3. Absolution Calling
I really dug this song when it came on today. I dislike how Brandon elongates the 'not' at the end of the first chorus, very unnecessary, but besides that this song has a great groove. Hard one to crack for Brandon live, it seems, but still very excited to see this one.

4. Make Out Party
I fucking hated those lyrics, I thought I could never get past them. I've learned to stomach them and the song is interesting enough. The slow, stretched-out chords fit the sensual tone of the song, like the synths during the bridge (same as in DLYD). It's an ok track, not great and it'll never be a favorite of mine. But it still beats anything from INNW, besides Adolescents, In the Company of Wolves, Surface to Air and Switchblade, for me.
followthesun
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right off the bat, I'd say:

1. Make Out Party

2. Trust Fall

3. Absolution Calling

4. Dance Like You're Dumb - Although, this one was stuck in my head today and I wasn't even mad about it.
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Trust Fall
2. Make Out Party
3. Dance Like You're Dumb
4. Absolution Calling

They're all good, but I may have overplayed Absolution Calling. The others sound fresher.
TinCanPhone
Zeta

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4. Absolution calling.

The others I can't even...
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of hurts to see how much hate the band gets on their Facebook-page. I mean, we have critical people around at times and bitch at the smallest details of songs, but I don't think they deserve the harsh commentary they are getting over there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: