FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
2015 World Tour setlist discussion thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazz
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: 2015 World Tour setlist discussion thread Reply with quote

Wanted to open a thread about this current world tour setlist were we can give our thoughts,wishes to see on this tour and everything else related to the 2015 world tour.

So far, the sets have been looking good. They have played a good variation of their catalogue and some good jams before and in the middle of songs. But if you guys see these songs are the same ones they played on the 2012-2013 tours with the exception of Absolution Calling and Trust fall. I know is still early and probably they didn't rehearsed that much because they were still written new music by the time they were booked for this run of shows.

Here are some of my wishes/songs i hope to see on this world tour:

Songs I hope to hear:

New Skin: It's kinda sad that Incubus has not played this song since 2009 and they only play it 3 times on that tour. New Skin in my opinion it's more of a classic than Vitamin and A certain shade of green. I'm sure there are a lot of fans who also are hoping to hear this song when they are at an Incubus show. Even Steve Rennie when he was with the band, he told me that he also wanted to hear new skin again and he jokingly once said to the band before a show that if they asked the audience for a dollar to see them play new skin. They would absolutely get it from every people in attendance. New skin was also the very first Incubus song i heard back in 1998 and i'd love to see it back in the setlist someday.

Stellar: I'm kinda surprised that they don't play this so often like they used to. This song is such a good vibe to hear it live at an open air venue.

11am

Have You Ever 2013 tour version: loved the intro they did for this one back in the 2013 South American tour

Agoraphobia: This has to be the darkest Incubus song on their entire catalogue. They only played this once in 2011 and for some reason they haven't played that since then.

Rogues: if i was asked to remove one song off LG from their set i would remove Anna Molly and put Rogues instead. Anna Molly is a great high energy song but sometimes i feel like they leave other good songs from LG to play that and i wouldn't mind if they dropped that from their set.

Wishes:

Drum solo between Jose and Ben: I just re watched Alive at Red Rocks the other night and the drum duel between Jose,Brandon and Ben doesn't stop to amaze me. It would be great to see something like that again.

Ltd edition tour posters: i don't know if any of you guys like to collect things from concerts but i'd love to see some posters with Brandon's and Jose's artwork the day of a show.
Soap
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Alive at Red Rocks, I'd love to see them do more inter-song jams/segue ways like they did on that tour. Those are what really made me dig them as a live band before I saw them in the flesh. A Jose/Kil/Ben groove jam would be awesome. I guess what I'm really wishing for is the band to flex some more under-utilised musical muscles.

A new in-song cover or two would be cool too. I know they're doing Hello at the end of Made for TV Movie and She's So Heavy at the end of Crow but they've been doing those for a while and it would be nice to perhaps get a little glimpse of what the guys are listening to/being influenced by at the moment.
Rossitron
Rogue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soap wrote:
Speaking of Alive at Red Rocks, I'd love to see them do more inter-song jams/segue ways like they did on that tour. Those are what really made me dig them as a live band before I saw them in the flesh. A Jose/Kil/Ben groove jam would be awesome. I guess what I'm really wishing for is the band to flex some more under-utilised musical muscles.

A new in-song cover or two would be cool too. I know they're doing Hello at the end of Made for TV Movie and She's So Heavy at the end of Crow but they've been doing those for a while and it would be nice to perhaps get a little glimpse of what the guys are listening to/being influenced by at the moment.

I concur.
bizkitboy1224
Zeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 World Tour setlist discussion thread Reply with quote

Jazz wrote:

Songs I hope to hear:

New Skin: It's kinda sad that Incubus has not played this song since 2009 and they only play it 3 times on that tour. New Skin in my opinion it's more of a classic than Vitamin and A certain shade of green. I'm sure there are a lot of fans who also are hoping to hear this song when they are at an Incubus show. Even Steve Rennie when he was with the band, he told me that he also wanted to hear new skin again and he jokingly once said to the band before a show that if they asked the audience for a dollar to see them play new skin. They would absolutely get it from every people in attendance. New skin was also the very first Incubus song i heard back in 1998 and i'd love to see it back in the setlist someday.

Totally agree Jazz.

New Skin is and always has been my favorite Incubus song. I've never seen it live. Every Incubus fan I'm personally friends with loves this song so much. They really should consider bringing it back.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about writing a reply in this thread for a while now, since I am a little obsessed with setlists for some reason. I fear I might come off as a little negative, so bear that in mind when you continue reading. It's a bit weird to complain/comment on the setlist of a show I haven't attented, because what do I care? And even if I would've been at a show with a mediocre setlist, I'd probably still have a good time. Still, I think and analyze setlists to a great extent.

And so far in 2015, I'm not too impressed with the setlists. The band have almost always used blueprints for their setlists, having more or less the same spots in the show where songs get rotated. This year, there has been little variation so far. Apart from singles, the main staples have been Circles, A Kiss To Send Us Off, Sick Sad Little World and Made For TV Movie. Now I don't mind SSLW being a staple (especially if they allow themselves some room for improv like in 2004 and 2012), but I'm a bit bored by Circles and Kiss. Weirdly enough I'm mainly bored of seeing them on the setlists, because when I see a live video of either song I still see how they are cool live songs. As for Made for TV Movie, I'm yet to see the song live and I kinda like the song, but the thought of seeing it doesn't excite me nearly as much as the thought of so many other songs that don't get played to often (for example Leech, Rogues, Blood on the Ground, Have You Ever, Nowhere Fast, When It Comes, Beware! Criminal or Agoraphobia, Priceless).

It's probably because they were also staples on the tours in 2013, 2012 and Kiss and Circles were regulars in 2011. As mentioned before, the main issue for me is that these songs always get favored over a bunch of songs that work very well live, but don't get played that often. Even at festival shows they often choose Kiss or Circles, where I think Rogues, Under My Umbrella or Priceless would work just as well.

I did a little analysis at the beginning of the tour, mentioning much less variation in the setlists than during the first shows in 2011. Admittedly, I was little soon to judge, but in the end my conclusion at that point in time, still holds up now. The first seven proper shows (three at a festival) of the 2011 saw a total of 35 different songs. The total of sixteen shows in 2015 so far (six at a festival) only had 29 different songs. Even during the eleven South America-concerts (four (?) at a festival), they played a bigger variation of songs: 35 songs, including the likes of Smile Lines, Beware! Criminal, Glass, Mexico and Have You Ever.

Point in case, these 2015-setlists feel a little stale. It's probably due to short rehearsals for a bit, and with more albums come more singles and thus more songs that people expect at a show. But I feel there is a lot of room for improvement for the rest of the year. The thing is, every year on tour (or every seperate tour) had setlists that I look back on now and think: 'Holy shit, I can't believe they actually played a set like this.'

Just a quick search for some years.

Look at this set from 2007. Can you believe it? I've been at three Incubus shows (with all good and very differing setlists), but I would see eleven news songs at this show. For those too lazy to click the link, it's a set from the 2007 club tour including Leech, Look Alive (its live debut), Light Grenades, UMU, 11am, Have You Ever, Paper Shoes and When It Comes. Oh yeah, and Redefine and New Skin acoustic, but that doesn't even matter to me. Leave those out and it would still be an amazing setlist.

Or this one from 2013 in Brazil. Beware! Criminal, Stellar, Southern Girl, Warning, Glass. Those are some nice additions to that setlist. When I look at that list of names, it feels fresh.

There's a huge list of songs I'd like to see the band play. But what I'd like to see is that no one can predict what the next setlist will be like. I don't mean go full Pearl Jam, that's not for this band, but one night the crowd gets Nowhere Fast, Pistola, Sick Sad Little World and Glass, the next night they get Have You Ever, Rogues, Warning, Thieves and When It Comes, and the one after that Echo, Kiss To Send Us Off, Smile Lines, Make Yourself and Vitamin. Being unpredictable is the best thing for a band, if you ask me.

Also, I'd love if they not only rotate the spots for album tracks, but also the singles. They've dropped Drive at a few shows this year and they've dropped WYWH for a few shows in 2012, why not rotate them? By my count Incubus has 22 singles. If they play 10 every night in a 20-song setlist (which is a realistic amount) there is room to rotate. Give one night:
Anna Molly, Megalomaniac, Wish You Were Here, Warning, Are You In?, Love Hurts, Pardon Me, Adolescents, Drive and Absolution Calling
Give the next one:
Dig, Talk Shows On Mute, Megalomaniac, Nice To Know You, Stellar, Oil & Water, Pardon Me, Absolution Calling, Promises and Adolescents.
(If they were going to drop any single from their setlists for a good while, I'd want Nice To Know You to go. Been very bored with that song lately.)

It's just an example, but I think that will keep the band excited to play the singles, it will leave crowds longing for more, but still satisfy the radio-fans.

One last thing, the thing that always comes back when people talk Incubus' setlists: SCIENCE. I used to be the guy that said: the band never plays anything from SCIENCE anymore, boohoo. But nowadays, I don't really care about it any more. I still love that album, I'd still love to see almost any song of it, but for me a setlist usually doesn't become awesome because of a SCIENCE-song being played. Right now (judging from videos and the song choice), I feel the band includes Vitamin for a large part to please the audience, because they want a song of that album. That's a nice gesture towards fans, but if that truly is their motivation for playing it (I'm speculating of course, but IF), I wouldn't mind them dropping it in favor of a post-SCIENCE album track. I'd love to see the return of Redefine or New Skin to the setlists, I never thought they would play those songs ever again until 2009 so I think it still can happen, but if it doesn't and the band plays varied setlists with a good chuck on newer non-singles, I don't mind.

If you read this last sentence, kudos, you've made it through my ramblings.
jmsgrx
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this 100%
I mean, these are what these boards are for. The people who like a band enough to seek out other people and discuss all things related to this band. I assume the feeling is mutual for most fans on this board, but I would much rather see variation and unexpected songs being played in their live shows. It gives you a satisfying feeling hearing/seeing setlists like that. It's like you're being rewarded for being such an avid fan and listener. Whereas, the casual fan is not checking the setlists from every show every day, scouring youtube for different versions of songs, listening to countless live recordings- They're there to see incubus play some songs they know.

The struggle is real.
2012ac
Zeta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different ways to look at the setlist, Obviously the casual fan wants to hear songs they know, Ive been to shows of bands I only knew a few songs from but they didnt play the songs I knew and it made me less likely to go see them again, so you lose customers in that respect. People dont go to concerts to hear songs they've never heard. But I think a majority of bands that go on large tours play mostly the same songs everynigght with some variation from night to night. It makes sense from the standpoint that they rehearse a certain number of songs and try to stick to those and really get a good groove and nail those songs. Thats why I like seeing Incubus mid tour when they are in top form. I would love to see different songs on setlist everynight but I would rather get a badass on point rendition of a staple song than a so so rarer song. If they are touring an album then they usually play a lot of the new album, plus singles, like that 2007 setlist Jelger posted. If its a world tour then they most likely will keep it hit heavy in foreign countries. Plus I think they probably get advice from management and labels as to what type of setlist to stick to to keep the audiences coming back, I know the band says Brandon picks setlist but he must get ideas from someone, and its worked for so long.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think management or labels get involved in setlist, I highly doubt that especially in Incubus' case.
redonkulousemu
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should just play a clearly labeled non-singles theater tour. Hopefully that can finally make us all shut up haha. If they specify that they wont play singles, it might keep most of the casual fans away. It's definitely a hard balance trying to please casual and hardcore fans at the same time, especially with us hardcores in the minority. It becomes even harder the more singles and albums they have come out over the years. That's why pretty much every older band/artist I can think of basically just plays singles, and if they're feeling it, they might play an entire famous album at a show.

It might be because how I am, but I actually like it when band's play songs I don't know, usually with the caveat that I like the song haha. There are plenty of bands I've seen that I knew very little of their catalogue, and the show was a way for them to point me in the right direction of what album I would like.
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is not so much them playing singles. I like hearing Wish You Were Here live, with everybody singing along after the bridge. I like a whole venue jumping to Megalomaniac. I like Pardon Me. I like Drive and I like Anna Molly. Maybe not all the time, because they are overplayed in some way, and I might be more excited to hear a rare non-single live, I still like the songs and the reaction they get from a full house.

When I went to see Pearl Jam last year, I saw them two nights in a row. The second night had my favorite setlist out of the two. When the band was at the end of the first encore and Eddie was clearly stearing towards 'Alive' with his pre-song talk, I thought: aw man, here comes this overplayed song, that every real fan is sick of. But when they actually played it, it turned out to be the highlight of the evening. The whole venue was alive (pun not intented), the band fed on the energy and it turned it to something magical that carried on into the next few songs. Alive was definitely not my favorite song on the setlist tonight, but it was my favorite moment of the show. Point in case, singles aren't all bad, even if they are overplayed.

I just hope that the band doesn't forget how many great songs they have in their catalog and that they are much more than a few songs that happen to come out as singles. Incubus has made great albums, not just great singles if you ask me. And I would also feel that the band would not be giving themselves enough credit if their setlists didn't reflect that.
2012ac
Zeta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger wrote:
Why do you think management or labels get involved in setlist, I highly doubt that especially in Incubus' case.

I just think the band got their routine of how they choose setlist from somebody in the biz like management or a label in the beginning and were steered in a certain direction and they have generally stuck to it, i dont think they are told what to play.
2012ac
Zeta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band knows some songs get overplayed which is why they are trying to freshen some of the old songs up. Why wouldnt they play different songs instead of remixing or inserting snippets. In this latest tour they are trying new intros to WYWH and Pardon Me, they are inserting a snippet into Megalomaniac. And maybe they just like playing circles and Kiss more than other songs. They have in the past did intro jams to NTKY, remixed Drive, Dig, Redefine, theyve inserted snippets to Stellar, Crow, Are You In, Nowhere Fast, and others. I to want a better non single variation but they do pretty good job for the most part.
Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel really lucky to have heard 11AM live so many times. Acoustic 02 and 11, full band 09 and 12. But I still get excited as hell every time. Would love to see that as more of a staple.

I feel like I always pick this one, but if I had to pick one staple to come back it is Make Yourself. Have only heard that acoustic, and once at that, in the last decade. I get that Brandon probably cringes at some of the lyrics now...but I miss hearing that song live. Blood On The Ground is a close second.

Pipe dreams are Summer Romance (lucky again to get this in 07 and it is one of my all time favorite concert moments), New Skin, Monuments & Melodies (HQ Live version still gives me goosebumps every time), Crowded Elevator, Surface To Air.

Oh and Punchdrunk. I know that still gets played. But that is an awesome summer amphitheater song. Never get tired of that.

Of the songs I can do without...really not into Wolves. So much potential there that just doesn't seem to get reached. Agree about Circles/Kiss being always good & fun...but just a little overdone in my opinion.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surface to Air has the potential to be like Punch Drunk. A b-side that works great live. Wolves, I'm not a huge fan either.
bizkitboy1224
Zeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean Youngblood wrote:
I feel really lucky to have heard 11AM live so many times. Acoustic 02 and 11, full band 09 and 12. But I still get excited as hell every time. Would love to see that as more of a staple.

I feel like I always pick this one, but if I had to pick one staple to come back it is Make Yourself. Have only heard that acoustic, and once at that, in the last decade. I get that Brandon probably cringes at some of the lyrics now...but I miss hearing that song live. Blood On The Ground is a close second.

Pipe dreams are Summer Romance (lucky again to get this in 07 and it is one of my all time favorite concert moments), New Skin, Monuments & Melodies (HQ Live version still gives me goosebumps every time), Crowded Elevator, Surface To Air.

Oh and Punchdrunk. I know that still gets played. But that is an awesome summer amphitheater song. Never get tired of that.

Of the songs I can do without...really not into Wolves. So much potential there that just doesn't seem to get reached. Agree about Circles/Kiss being always good & fun...but just a little overdone in my opinion.

Totally agree about not being into Wolves. Takes up way too much time in a set also.

New Skin and Blood on the Ground would be all time concert moments for me, if they ever happen.

Would love any of those other tracks too. Make Yourself is fucking awesome (I've also only seen it acoustic).
Venetian Pendulum
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to write this in the YouTube thread, but I'll leave it here.

Just watched a bunch of the SXSW videos and have come a conclusion. Ben sounds like a fucking madman. Holy shit. Has he always played like that and I've never noticed or something? The riffs are actually amazing.

In particular fro SXSW, Megalomaniac, Sick Sad Little World, and Trustfall. Damn.
Roger
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venetian Pendulum wrote:
I was going to write this in the YouTube thread, but I'll leave it here.

Just watched a bunch of the SXSW videos and have come a conclusion. Ben sounds like a fucking madman. Holy shit. Has he always played like that and I've never noticed or something? The riffs are actually amazing.

In particular fro SXSW, Megalomaniac, Sick Sad Little World, and Trustfall. Damn.

He's incredible on Trustfall. WOW
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bass on Sick Sad Little World has always been a monster, even on the album version.
redonkulousemu
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what videos you're talking about. The bass is suuuper loud. If only they played Pendulous.... That's probably Ben's most insane playing IMO. Though the songs mentioned definitely are pretty Ben heavy. Didn't hear Absolution Calling from that show, but I imagine it would have some pretty awesome bass during the chorus.
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14
Venetian Pendulum
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the bass on SSLW has always been mighty impressive. Could just be how loud Ben is on those recordings, but if I was there I would be literally entranced. And this is coming from someone who doesn't usually gravitate to Ben's style all that much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: