FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
2015 Tour (Updated: April 16th)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pistolabus
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Mansfield, MA show last night...certainly not one of my favorite incubus shows. The band was great, performed well and all: the cool Pardon Me intro, the insane SSLW jam, etc.

But as others have said, that set list was disappointing. They essentially traded playing a third new song (after AC and TF) for Love Hurts. Woof.

And the crowd...oh the crowd. One of the least enthused I've seen at any show. They were jazzed for the deftones, and were really into Dig, Drive, and Pardon Me...and just about nothing else. Only one other person around me seemed to be really enjoying it. Sad.

Hopefully the show in philly I'm going to tonight is better!

azzman
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vice ran a really douchey review of the Deftones/Incubus show in Toronto. Seems like the whole point was for the writer to boast about how he once loved both bands, but now he's "outgrown" them to listen solely to the hipster-bop.

"Even though the nostalgia waves wore off almost immediately after the first Deftones song, I will probably still show my kids how dumb the music I listened to as a teenager was, probably because some small part of me hopes they’ll be listening to third wave nü-metal in 2035."

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/we-went-to-a-deftones-and-incubus-concert-and-felt-weird-conflicted-and-old
HAM
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only looked at a couple setlists, but it sounds like this tour has been pretty lackluster so far.

I think they're sort of stuck in two minds with the setlists. They're not popular enough anymore to just throw caution to the wind and play crazy varied sets like they did in the 2004 to 2008 era, yet they're still popular enough to feel like they have to satisfy the "Drive/Lover Hurts" crowd. It seems like this tour and the Lincoln Park tour have been identical - basically a money grab and trying to please 15,000 mainstream rock fans a night (I don't mean that in a harsh way, it is what it is).

Last edited by HAM on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
surftb15
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I seem to think its a money grab as well. Even the show or two sans Deftones haven't seen much set-list variety.

I still have a hunch that the two nights in Vegas will be the most varied, most people who have purchased tickets bought both nights.

Here is the thing, when I first heard Trust Fall Side A I was stoked - Absolution Calling and Trust Fall were such a step in the right direction. MOP and DLYD were just garbage IMO.

As the months went on, I had the chance to hear so much good music coming out later this year - Chvrches, Metric, SSPU, Joy Formidable. Then I look back at Incubus and Im like "damn, how bad was Trust Fall A? Was I just trying to like it? Was it me being a fan / friend first?". Considering Incubus' success, they should have no problem writing music that plays to their strengths - MOP? Seriously?

I barely listen to Trust Fall anymore.

The band hasn't thrown any bones to the fans that actually stayed around all these years this tour. Throw us one or two songs, because they do practice them. Incubus hasn't gained any new fans, so thats the least they can do.

Otherwise Incubus will quickly become a nostalgia act.

edit: I know this sounds harsh !
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still the think the EP is a pretty solid release for the band. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's got the right energy.

But when I listen to Pendulous Threads, a song I've been really digging a lot this past two weeks, I hear so much more than on Trust Fall or Absolution Calling. I do agree with you that it doesn't stand out in today's music scene, but then again: who expected that? That vice-article was garbage, but the author got one thing right. Incubus sounds somewhere between dated and contemporary. It's not new or modern, but it's not dated like most bands from their scene in the late 90s/early 00s that they're usually associated with.

The band will not make it big again and if this tour is an opportunity for them to rake in a fair amount of money, I cannot blame them. But the safe setlist are worrying to me, not so much because the shows will be bad, but because of the lack of an adventurous spirit that it examplifies. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised that they bust out some pretty weird and unique sets during shows later this year.
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band has played 27 songs altogether on the current tour. There are 13 "staples" on this tour, but only six of them are major hit singles. The other 4 to 6 songs on the setlist get switched up. By the end of this US tour, I would expect them to have played at least 40 songs from their catalog. Up until now we've had 13 shows (though for one of them they were forced to play a shorter set due to the weather). How many individual songs do you guys think should have been played by now?

Maybe Brandon should start using a teleprompter to read lyrics from? Some artists with very large catalogs actually use one live. I could see this being a reason as to why there are currently 13 staples on the setlist. Brandon probably has the lyrics to those songs ingrained in his muscle memory, but it wouldn't surprise me if other ones that don't get played as frequently are a bit harder to recall.

I didn't want to post too many song names here in case anyone wanted to avoid reading spoilers.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in 2013 they played 35 songs over 11 shows, including some rare deeper cuts. That's a nice number. But hey, last night had a really good addition to the set!
Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCK! Can't believe they played Nowhere Fast. Been chasing that around forever. Always seem to play something at the Tweeter. Damn it. That's great. This wedding really fucked me!
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it as a surprise encore alongside Stellar at Hurricane Festival in 2011. Awesome song and really good choice to add to the setlist this tour, seeing as there will be a bunch of fans in the crowd that dig pre-ACLOTM Incubus.

Another not about the number of songs they played: it's pretty easy to boost that number. If they switched around the setlist-spots of Dig and/or Are You In? with Warning, Stellar and Oil & Water. Especially since Are You In? was a semi-succesfull single in the States, I don't think that would hurt the set.
ExcitableOne311
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torres wrote:
Maybe Brandon should start using a teleprompter to read lyrics from? Some artists with very large catalogs actually use one live. I could see this being a reason as to why there are currently 13 staples on the setlist. Brandon probably has the lyrics to those songs ingrained in his muscle memory, but it wouldn't surprise me if other ones that don't get played as frequently are a bit harder to recall.

Nick Hexum of 311 uses one. They just played 102 different songs over 26 shows on their summer tour.

http://setlist.com/311/summer15stats.html
06/11/2002 - Portland, ME / Cumberland County Civic Center
09/16/2002 - Manchester, NH / Verizon Wireless Arena
07/25/2003 - Mansfield, MA / Tweeter Center
07/02/2004 - Providence, RI / Dunkin' Donuts Center
07/03/2004 - Worcester, MA / Centrum Centre
10/27/2004 - Durham, NH / Whittemore Center Arena
01/30/2007 - Boston, MA / Avalon Ballroom
02/13/2007 - Los Angeles, CA / The Wiltern
09/01/2011 - Saratoga Springs, NY / Saratoga Performing Arts Center
08/01/2015 - Gilford, NH / Bank of NH Pavilion (Meadowbrook)
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExcitableOne311 wrote:
torres wrote:

Nick Hexum of 311 uses one. They just played 102 different songs over 26 shows on their summer tour.

http://setlist.com/311/summer15stats.html

Though I know Nick Hexum has the majority of the vocal parts, he does have the benefit of splitting vocal duties with SA Martinez.

Nevertheless, wow, 102 songs over 26 shows? 311 are a different animal altogether!
hilikus_PT
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band Beach House just introduced a cool new feature on the band's website: setlist creator

You can try it here: http://www.beachhousebaltimore.com/tour/

The tool lets you select a specific upcoming tour date and then request three songs that you want them to play at the show.

"While on tour, we change our setlist every night and certain songs get played only a few times per tour. This device will allow us to know if there is a large number of people wanting to hear a certain song in any one place. It’s not that we will definitely follow it, but it will certainly influence our set lists…… maybe 50 people in milwaukee want to hear a song we made 10 years ago?!?!
Choose the “setlist creator” next to the show you are going to and follow the directions there…………..Thanks"

It's a cool thing and it reminded me of this topic and how it would be a nice solution to the boring setlists.
www.incubusportugal.blogspot.com
www.instagram.com/incubusportugal
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory that is a great tool. In practice, I'm not so sure.

When Metallica did their request tour, it was one of the most boring tours setlist-wise. Sure a few songs came back to the setlist (St. Anger, Whiskey in the Jar), but besides that it was all hits and well-known non-singles. Even Frayed Ends of Sanity, never played live up until then and a highly anticipated song among Metallica-fans, was played once during that tour.

During 25 shows they played 32 different songs on that tour. During their summer tour one year earlier, they played 43 songs in 14 shows.

The problem is of course that every one buying a ticket gets a vote. So you have the hardcore-fans, who all vote for different rare songs. They have about what 40(?) options. So not one of those rare song has a serious amount of votes.
Then you have the radiofans. Even if they don't outnumber the hardcore fans, the chance is very real they will dominate the vote. Because they are more likely to vote for hits, and thus their range of songs to select from is much smaller. So out of like 10-15 songs, they pick three, which is why it is likely that in such a vote 'Drive' would win instead of any non-single. That is exactly what happened with Metallica. There were a lot of casual fans and they voted for Enter Sandmen, One, Nothing Else Matters and Sad But True instead of Harvester of Sorrow, Frayed Ends of Sanity, Disposable Heroes or Fight Fire With Fire.

But don't get me wrong, as a gesture to your fans, it's cool no matter what.
jmsgrx
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea a lot, but I agree that it would end up being somewhat lopsided. I think it would work better in a situation where you're seeing a band with only 2-3 albums- only for the reason that there wouldn't be all that much to choose from.
Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Morning Jacket (go see them) does something similar as well. There is a hashtag for each show where they take requests and will play a song or two.

On their forum members going to the same show will try to band together and agree on 2-3 songs to spam the hashtag with.
redonkulousemu
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solution I can think of is to come straight out and say "This is the non-singles, deep cuts only tour (we're 100% not playing Drive)" similar to when bands play an entire album, and promote it as such. That's the only way for them to clear out all the clutter and not feel the obligation of having to appease casual fans.

Ideally, this would be a theater tour. Play small venues, multiple nights in the same city so they can cover a whole lot of their catalog, and we can all stop complaining about boring set lists once and for all (including myself haha).
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all (me included) not exaggerate. This tour may be boring, their setlists for the 2011/2012(except perhaps Honda Civic)/2013 were pretty great.
hilikus_PT
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying. Well, maybe they could do this setlist creator thing without the singles. It would be interesting to see the results and the band itself would probably have a new input as to what songs they haven't played and people are interested in.
www.incubusportugal.blogspot.com
www.instagram.com/incubusportugal
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could work if they used it as a 'vote for your favorite three non-singles' and just play their sets like they always do, with those voted songs as the varying part.

Oh well, I'm critical of the current setlists, but I'm still hopeful that they will mix it up on future tours. After going back and looking at the Honda Civic 2012 setlist, I realize this might just be a tour like that and a money-grab.
jmsgrx
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redonkulousemu wrote:
The only solution I can think of is to come straight out and say "This is the non-singles, deep cuts only tour (we're 100% not playing Drive)" similar to when bands play an entire album, and promote it as such. That's the only way for them to clear out all the clutter and not feel the obligation of having to appease casual fans.

Ideally, this would be a theater tour. Play small venues, multiple nights in the same city so they can cover a whole lot of their catalog, and we can all stop complaining about boring set lists once and for all (including myself haha).

I thought about this idea too. The Living End (Australian band) did this in Aus a few years ago. They went to all the major cities and played 6 (7?) nights in a row.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: