FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
Jimmy Kimmel Live 2/12
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stungate
Megalomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Jimmy Kimmel Live 2/12 Reply with quote

Incubus will be performing tonight on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
11:35pm Pacific /10:35pm Central

With Keira Knightley, Tony Goldwyn, and Incubus
http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live

Here's a link to ABC Live to watch on other devices.
Probably won't work anywhere but for US folks.

Stephanie

Last edited by stungate on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
dupliticus
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we allowed to reply to an announcement? Guess I'll find out.

Just watched it and it was AMAZING! This song is even better live Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mauricio
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the guys play AC through a streaming website. I guess I'll stick with the studio version for now. It sounded pretty flat, though it may have been the streaming itself. Brandon seemed to struggle a lil bit to hit the notes.
soultosqueeze191
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Ben's tendinitis isn't really bad or something because that short scale Lākland does not cut it at all on that song. Aside from that, I thought it was a decent performance but I'll watch it again tomorrow.
mauricio
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched it 2 more times and I must admit that it kinda grew on me. Altough, is it me or there is no bass at all in every single recording of the show? :/
Look_Alive
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, they're taking ages to upload this - when Childish Gambino performed, I remember waking up the next morning to find it had already been uploaded.

Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the performance of Dig on Kimmel from 2007. Brandon was 'struggling' just as much to hit notes. I think we over-exaggerate that of modern day Brandon a little too much from time to time.
devoiced
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found the kimmel episode on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJO8vUETak

I really like AC live even if the soundmix is meh.
It was mentioned on the other thread that they also played "trustfall" But i take it that wasn't part of the broadcast?
Look_Alive
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I feel sorry for them - they really knocked it out the park and Brandon sounds great - but the mix is really bad. The second verse sounds a complete mess with the electronic part turned up so loud.

Rossitron
Rogue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea Great performance, shitty mix. Mike's guitar sounded terrible. Not sure if that was the mix or not. I wish Ben's bass would have been turned up cause he sounds fucking awesome on that song.
Newskin!
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Absolution calling Reply with quote

"ABSOLUTION CALLING" (LIVE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGn4_2r7fl4
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mix wasn't as bad as I thought. Though the bass could use some more volume.

I'm loving the comments on the video though. This band's got too much baggage people can't help but sort through it and complain why a certain old t-shirt hasn't been worn for a decade.
Jazz
Privileged

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the cd that Kimmel holding the physical copy of trustfall? I really hope not. an album cover with the boys is really weird.
Ty
Privileged

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz wrote:
Was the cd that Kimmel holding the physical copy of trustfall? I really hope not. an album cover with the boys is really weird.

Unless it's Crow-style.

Speaking of, and I think someone else mentioned this not long ago, let's get some more Jose/Brandon art on these things. We had the MV disc, Crow's gorgeous cover, and the Monuments & Melodies cover...idk man it just seems to me that with 2 super talented artists in the band it should be a no-brainer.
GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto
Familiar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Tingky, yeah you know it's funny reading comments from people who dislike the song. It does seem that some people never left 1997, but I think there's another reason why some people can't "get" the new music. Not only does Incubus' music continue to increase in experimentation and technical musicianship, but the lyrical content keeps getting more abstract and poetic. I think it's hit the point now where a large portion of people just don't understand or can't connect with the metaphors and symbolism Brandon uses. Like trying to jump into an Advanced Philosophy course without taking the foundation classes. Personally, I think the lyrics are amazing in AC. They perfectly describe a person's first psychedelic/transcendental experience and how you leave your defenses behind when you embark on that journey, and how your mental blocks or "knots" die or get untied a little each time.

That message is very much counter to American culture/values these days and I think it rubs some people the wrong way. Others simply don't understand and don't want to anyways.
Soap
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better live, I really enjoyed it. The only thing I wish they did was have Ben sing the back up vocals during the bridge and chorus. They're so ubiquitous on the song that it looks a bit silly hearing Brandon's voice but not seeing him (or anyone) singing. I know they do the same thing live with other songs (A Crow Left of the Murder, Stellar) but it would make the track more legit if Ben sang those parts. I guess they're going more for polish than authenticity.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt that way. It look and sounds a bit weird. I think it would also enhance the live feeling of the songs if Ben sang those background vocals. It would set it a little more apart from the album tracks and we know Ben is capable.
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto wrote:
but I think there's another reason why some people can't "get" the new music. Not only does Incubus' music continue to increase in experimentation and technical musicianship, but the lyrical content keeps getting more abstract and poetic. I think it's hit the point now where a large portion of people just don't understand or can't connect with the metaphors and symbolism Brandon uses.

The lyrics are usually the last thing I notice when I'm listening to a song. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to most other listeners.

Quote:
Incubus' music continue(s) to increase in experimentation and technical musicianship, but the lyrical content keeps getting more abstract and poetic.

A bit of experimenting with electronic instruments, yes, but overall the song structure is pretty basic.

As for technical musicianship... I actually think it's all downhill from ACLOTM, while I do maintain technicality =/= quality (I don't like ACLOTM that much). That's not to say I'm not into technical stuff cos I'm almost only into technical stuff at the moment. The stuff on crow just isn't my cup of tea I guess.

AC is an okay song - probably between average to good. It's not as compelling as some of their older songs- like Make Yourself for example. I never got tired of that song no matter how many times I've played it. The most recent song I could think of that's at the same tier is Midnight Swim. I could still listen to INNW, but there are no stand-out tracks, and I could no longer listen to LG - despite doing so several times after several listening hiatuses.

I guess I'm hoping this band will still release a new song that I won't get tired of (or perhaps won't get tired of easily) and AC is not it. I'm reserving judgement for Trustfall until the studio version is released.
Juan.
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger wrote:
I've always felt that way. It look and sounds a bit weird. I think it would also enhance the live feeling of the songs if Ben sang those background vocals. It would set it a little more apart from the album tracks and we know Ben is capable.

I know, right? I think Ben should be given the opportunity to sing more. They could totally pull off stuff ŕ la Anthony Kiedis + John Frusciante or something like that. It would be really awesome. The chorus he (Ben) used to sing while playing The Warmth live proves it.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to GrainySeaMonsterHoaxphoto (did I really just type that name?): let's not pretend that Incubus is so complex that people can't grasp it. Like Tingky said, the song structure is pretty basic. That goes for most Incubus-song, even SSLW is pretty basic structure-wise. Tingky is also right in saying that technicallity =/= quality. Look at a lot of songs of respected bands out there, some of their big / best received songs are no more than four chords. And I don't mean pop acts, I mean actual bands.

It all starts with good songwriting, not with difficult solo's and riffs, and I do think that Incubus lost that golden touch a bit after Crow. Unlike Tingky, for me there are still songs from the era since than that I can play over and over and not grow tired of, but it's not as consistent as in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: