Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
"Absolution Calling" (song discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but it's important to remember: it's over for Incubus, at least insofar as being some force of popular culture or important cool-to-like band goes. That's not because they haven't made the right video or because there were some non-distorted songs on the last record; it's because the world has moved on. Oh well!

I think it's the other way around - they've moved on. The world is still stuck in SCIENCE / MY / MV land. One look at the comments section of any Incubus video on youtube or their facebook posts will tell you.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the importance of popularity? I mean I like the band to have enough fans to earn a comfortable living and tour the world. But I really don't care about their charts-performances.
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music video however raises suspicion that they (or most probably Island) do want a piece of the mainstream pie, as has already been lamented numerous times in this thread. But as others would argue, it's just a music video with no popularity motives.

Personally, I'm leaning more on believing the former.
slamhole
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it's absurd to be all suspicious or like, high-and-mighty-disappointed for Incubus to make a video that supposedly courts the mainstream (or maybe the LABEL was behind it! Ooooooohhhhhhh!) or whatever.

Like, come on, man - they made a silly video. They did not make that video because they believed a few seconds of choreographed dancing would allow Incubus to snag some portion of a demographic. We ADORE grand conspiracy theories about nefarious labels and hidden band-infighting on this board, but I promise you're not capturing glimpses of an overarching strategy on the part of Island or Incubus to sneakily break Absolution Calling by using video production strategies from 1998-2003. They can't even get the EP out on time - you think they're orchestrating some machiavellian plan to appear "hip"? They made this because hey, maybe some folks will see it and think to buy the download or a ticket for a show, and hey, we can work with this dude we like.

Reality check time: there is no "mainstream" for bands like Incubus anymore. They are not getting played on any current radio stations. They're not a mainstage festival act. They are not being featured on video shows (Second reality check: if you ever reference Total Request Live, or use any form of the words hip or hipster, you do not. get it. anymore.).

The overall takeaway here? They're not courting new fans (though of course they would welcome that); they're simply getting the word out about a new single and a new record to people who are already devotees. You know why? Because the people who angrily post on youtube, or Facebook, or here - we'll all buy tickets and the new material even if we hate it.
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The overall takeaway here? They're not courting new fans (though of course they would welcome that); they're simply getting the word out about a new single and a new record to people who are already devotees. You know why? Because the people who angrily post on youtube, or Facebook, or here - we'll all buy tickets and the new material even if we hate it.

Ah, the masochists. Catering to the audience that hates their music. Sounds counterproductive.

Quote:
They're not courting new fans (though of course they would welcome that)

Of course they are. Why make a music video you know the "old school" fans will hate and expect them to buy the music?
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not doubting the band has reasons and motives for making the video, Tink, but what do we care? I don't like the video. Oh well, watched it once, never have to again. I don't care about it or how (un)successful it is, both in how it is received or in achieving the goals the band set out to achieve.
slamhole
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah, the masochists. Catering to the audience that hates their music. Sounds counterproductive.

You're mischaracterizing. I didn't say anything about catering; I said the band was releasing a video/single - because, I might add, it was what they felt like doing and not because of some ulterior cash-grabbing motive or pressure to adhere to some standard, as always - because they believe long-time fans will pay attention in the form of a concert ticket or an album purchase, even if they don't like the single or the video.

Quote:
Of course they are. Why make a music video you know the "old school" fans will hate and expect them to buy the music?

While just to be clear, I did say the band would welcome new fans, the larger point is that there are people out there who will buy Incubus albums, singles, and tickets even if they don't like the newest material. I know that - and so does Incubus - because that is literally what has always happened with this band.

No matter what they release - from Morning View to Crow to LG to If Not Now - people decry the death of old Incubus. I don't like making generalizations, but I think it's hard to argue against the fact that that has been happening for years. And despite the seemingly never-ending whining from posters to various forums, the band keeps making money. The amount is debatable, sure, but they're certainly doing well enough to take lengthy time off if they feel like it and pursue anything they want.

Given that truth, I'd wager Incubus doesn't particularly care if there's passionate negative reaction alongside enthusiasm. What they're doing - again, that's producing whatever music or videos they want, whether fans like it or not - has never stopped working. That's not the type of state of affairs that pressures people into making compromises on video shoots or in the studio for the sake of a scrap of airplay or a few extra dollars; that's a security that enables a band to do precisely what Incubus has consistently maintained that they do: make music for themselves first. I think it's hard to find evidence otherwise, especially here.
flangeslammer
Familiar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tingky wrote:
The music video however raises suspicion that they (or most probably Island) do want a piece of the mainstream pie...

i just can't wrap my head around people actually thinking or caring about this. it's much more important/troubling to me that the singer can't perform the song live very well than any discussion regarding the music video or the audience Incubus/Island are catering towards now. because those things just don't matter (anymore). the music does.
2012ac
Zeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slamhole wrote:
I just think it's absurd to be all suspicious or like, high-and-mighty-disappointed for Incubus to make a video that supposedly courts the mainstream (or maybe the LABEL was behind it! Ooooooohhhhhhh!) or whatever.

Like, come on, man - they made a silly video. They did not make that video because they believed a few seconds of choreographed dancing would allow Incubus to snag some portion of a demographic. We ADORE grand conspiracy theories about nefarious labels and hidden band-infighting on this board, but I promise you're not capturing glimpses of an overarching strategy on the part of Island or Incubus to sneakily break Absolution Calling by using video production strategies from 1998-2003. They can't even get the EP out on time - you think they're orchestrating some machiavellian plan to appear "hip"? They made this because hey, maybe some folks will see it and think to buy the download or a ticket for a show, and hey, we can work with this dude we like.

Reality check time: there is no "mainstream" for bands like Incubus anymore. They are not getting played on any current radio stations. They're not a mainstage festival act. They are not being featured on video shows (Second reality check: if you ever reference Total Request Live, or use any form of the words hip or hipster, you do not. get it. anymore.).

I think one of the main reasons to a make a video is to attract new fans. If the old fans are gonna be there regardless than why do we even need a video. A video doesnt mean they are trying to gain mainstream success again,obviously videos arent what they used to be, but they can get new fans, Im sure the label would want that. A band that just signed to a major label that couldve stayed independent to make music for their loyal fans, and putting themselves all over social media and making videos is not only putting the word out about new music but also trying to gain new fans. They wouldnt just welcome them but want them, its absurd to think otherwise.
2012ac
Zeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flangeslammer wrote:
tingky wrote:
The music video however raises suspicion that they (or most probably Island) do want a piece of the mainstream pie...

i just can't wrap my head around people actually thinking or caring about this. it's much more important/troubling to me that the singer can't perform the song live very well than any discussion regarding the music video or the audience Incubus/Island are catering towards now. because those things just don't matter (anymore). the music does.

Brandon is struggling with AC right now, I hope he starts nailing it by the time they tour the US. I remember him struggling with Adolescents at first and then little by little it seemed, from show reviews and videos, that he was hitting all the notes. He is doing fine on most songs so Im not too worried about it. It could be worse, I saw and heard some pretty bad live singing from some top frontman last year. Win Butler and Jared Leto come to mind, AKeidis and Grohl struggle live also.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Leto always has been a horrible live singer. Grohl overscreams during live shows.

The problem for Brandon is that on studio tracks, the focus in the mix is usually a lot on him. So when I misses a step live, it's so quickly noticed. Yeah, the song can grow on him, but it might be that Absolution Calling is just a difficult live song for him, just like If Not Now, When is.
slamhole
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think one of the main reasons to a make a video is to attract new fans. If the old fans are gonna be there regardless than why do we even need a video. A video doesnt mean they are trying to gain mainstream success again,obviously videos arent what they used to be, but they can get new fans, Im sure the label would want that.

I mean, yeah. They can get new fans. But by and large? Who hasn't heard of Incubus at this point? This is a band that's been around - and for a period was completely inescapable - for decades. That's like somebody going "Holy shit - you guys ever heard of these Red Hot Chili Pepper fellows? Some good stuff on their records from 1992!"

Quote:
A band that just signed to a major label that couldve stayed independent to make music for their loyal fans, and putting themselves all over social media and making videos is not only putting the word out about new music but also trying to gain new fans. They wouldnt just welcome them but want them, its absurd to think otherwise.

I'm not saying they're against anyone new showing up to the party, but Incubus is a band playing to an established base. And as for the label thing? I think it's mostly just distribution and perhaps the logistics of touring that that's for. Perhaps some operating capital for initial marketing, sure.
flangeslammer
Familiar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012ac wrote:
I think one of the main reasons to a make a video is to attract new fans....
They wouldnt just welcome them but want them, its absurd to think otherwise.

nahhhhhhh, wrong. we're not going to agree on everything and thats cool though.

also, imo, 2009 was peak Brandon Boyd live vocals and he's still better live in 2015 than just about any other live band vocalist on a nightly basis... but 2009 BB was at the peak of his powers and theres just no way he could continue like that into his 40's... but man, the struggle is real for BB during absolution calling.
surftb15
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is way too much bickering here.

1) Incubus did get a SMALL budget for this video

2) Incubus has been friends with B. G. for a while.

3) Brantley presented the idea for the video, just like Adolescents.

4) Incubus liked the idea, do you really think they give a fuck?

5) Incubus DOESN'T give a fuck...

6) Even though they don't care, they are reproducing the album..

7) as much as the band acts that they dont care, they do listne.

Cool this video was fun, made with B.G...director of their new US Set design + old videos.

9) They do listen, theyre reproducing the album

10) Everyone RELAX> This isnt as bad as INN,W. As bad as Make Out Party may be, the construction of the song isnt as bad as Promises.

Stop overanalyzing and enjoy the ride.
Blind Melon
Zedeveel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, surf.
slamhole
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of love arguing, so I'm to blame for a lot of the last few pages. I remain excited to hear what the damn EP sounds like.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguing is what the forum is for.
Look_Alive
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger wrote:

How dare you, no it isn't! Very Happy

surftb15 wrote:
B.G...director of their new US Set design

After his designs for the INNW tour, this excites me greatly - Incubus kind of seem to be his big break into the photography world if you look at the types of people he's photgraphing now.

Personally, I think the video was mainstream and I don't have a problem with that - the band are actually playing in a bigger London venue than they have in a while, so the potential is still there. It is possible for a band like Incubus to have mainstream success again, they just need to have the right song for that - I always thought Switchblade could have been a bit of a crossover hit if marketed rightly (I know a lot of people hate the song, but most of my friends who don't like Incubus enjoy it - Ben's bassline is immensely dance-able to).

JLynn943
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look_Alive wrote:
Jelger wrote:

Personally, I think the video was mainstream and I don't have a problem with that - the band are actually playing in a bigger London venue than they have in a while, so the potential is still there. It is possible for a band like Incubus to have mainstream success again, they just need to have the right song for that - I always thought Switchblade could have been a bit of a crossover hit if marketed rightly (I know a lot of people hate the song, but most of my friends who don't like Incubus enjoy it - Ben's bassline is immensely dance-able to).

Yeah, I'm with you on this (and agree about Switchblade). I think they can have mainstream success again. This is a band one album removed from debuting at #1 on the Billboard charts. They've been successful for a long time. Maybe the world has moved on (multi-year breaks with an unsuccessful album that was nothing like any of their others could certainly do that), but I know they still get regular play on a couple of local stations, so I think that potential is still there. From interviews, it sounded to me like the poor reception to and lack of success for INNW did sort of get to Brandon. Maybe it didn't, but that's what I inferred.

Personally, I hope that they're successful. I think they're great, and it'd be great if more people thought so, too. I don't shun success. I'm very excited by the two new singles, so even if they don't reach new fans, I'm happy regardless.
September 10, 2011 - Camden, NJ
May 13, 2012 - Philadelphia, PA
May 16, 2012 - Bethlehem, PA
August 16, 2012 - Camden, NJ
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLynn943 wrote:
I'm very excited by the two new singles, so even if they don't reach new fans, I'm happy regardless.

This is what matters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: