FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
I had a conversation with Mike, here's the latest...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: I had a conversation with Mike, here's the latest... Reply with quote

Main details:

- The band has just finished their first batch of songs for the new album, a total of four songs. They're not mixed as of yet, but everything is recorded.

- Considering the lack of rock music on the last record the band made, the band has almost felt obsessed with making music that's exciting. It's not all necessarily fast paced, but very high energy, and really fun to play and listen to.

- Initial plan is to release music as they write and record it. They're definitely going to keep recording and writing right now. So far, besides the 4 songs they have recorded, they have about 7 or 8 more in various phases of completion.

- The new music reminds him of when they were writing A Crow Left of the Murder. The batch of songs they've written is definitely rock music, not mellow at all.

- The band has NOT been meeting with Astralwerks, or Travis Barker's label. Mike did say he absolutely loves Travis and considers him a good friend and that he's also one of his favorite drummers.

- The band is NOT bringing EDM to Incubus. Not gonna happen. Mike loves working with Avicii and Guetta etc, but that's an entirely different thing and separate from Incubus.

- The band's plan will likely be to release their new songs in batches, or a series of EP's as the tour progresses next year (beginning in Feb 2015) but they have no specific plan yet.

- They are also very ecstatic to be working with Johnny Wright. He's a very nice guy and is in fact Justin Timberlake's manager.

- Mike does not have a facebook page anymore. Tons of accounts, none of them are him.

Stay tuned to the forum. More info coming soon.
JosephC
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool info, thanks Torres.
Basically every question I had, answered.
Jazz
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Torres!

Good to know that EDM will not be on the new Incubus album.
followthesun
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for the info!!
redonkulousemu
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooo, so many juicy details! This is really an exciting time for the band and us fans.
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Chris. Much appreciated of course. I am a bit torn on the EP-strategy, as I like the concept of a complete album very much. However, the sooner we get music, the better. If they do go with that strategy, it doesn't seem to unlikely that they will release an EP before they hit the stages in Australia. Exciting times.
Ty
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: I had a conversation with Mike, here's the latest... Reply with quote

torres wrote:

- Considering the lack of rock music on the last record the band made, the band has almost felt obsessed with making music that's exciting. It's not all necessarily fast paced, but very high energy, and really fun to play and listen to.

- The new music reminds him of when they were writing A Crow Left of the Murder. The batch of songs they've written is definitely rock music, not mellow at all

The news I've been waiting for for years. Let's hope they can deliver.
HAM
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised that they haven't really recorded a full album yet...they only got back together a couple months ago.

I'm not sure I like the idea of releasing a few songs at a time. It's definitely an interesting idea, but at some point I would like a full body of work.
Rossitron
Rogue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this gets me really hyped. Thanks for sharing.
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAM wrote:
I'm not surprised that they haven't really recorded a full album yet...they only got back together a couple months ago.

I'm not sure I like the idea of releasing a few songs at a time. It's definitely an interesting idea, but at some point I would like a full body of work.

Mike had also implied that it's a possibility the EP's could combine to form a full album. Nothing set in stone yet. I get the feeling that we will get to hear those 4 songs in the next coming months though.
stiggy
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I had a conversation with Mike, here's the latest... Reply with quote

Ty wrote:
torres wrote:

- The new music reminds him of when they were writing A Crow Left of the Murder. The batch of songs they've written is definitely rock music, not mellow at all

The news I've been waiting for for years. Let's hope they can deliver.

ditto!
i hear Crow and my ears perk up... in fact, i just listened to it yesterday, first time in a while,.. and i had flashbacks of Nam.
azIthinkIiz
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torres wrote:
HAM wrote:

Mike had also implied that it's a possibility the EP's could combine to form a full album. Nothing set in stone yet. I get the feeling that we will get to hear those 4 songs in the next coming months though.

I find it interesting that most of the guys have used the word 'album' when posting on Social Media. Wouldn't they just say 'New Music' instead of 'New Album' if they were still discussing the distribution of the songs they were recording? I agree with everyone here that I like one concise release than multiple projects. But I guess beggars can't be choosers!
jordocean
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes, songs reminiscent of Crow being written? Where I heard wild and fast, I had the notion, but to hear it confirmed is very good indeed. This pile of news definitely gets the hype going, to imagine we'll be getting an EP early next year is definitely an exciting thought! All of it is fantastic to hear
slamhole
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you dudes worry too much about terminology - in my mind, things like album, record, etc. are all interchangeably tossed around. I have not a care in the world if the songs they write are released in one batch or several.
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azIthinkIiz wrote:
torres wrote:
HAM wrote:

I find it interesting that most of the guys have used the word 'album' when posting on Social Media. Wouldn't they just say 'New Music' instead of 'New Album' if they were still discussing the distribution of the songs they were recording? I agree with everyone here that I like one concise release than multiple projects. But I guess beggars can't be choosers!

slamhole wrote:
I think you dudes worry too much about terminology - in my mind, things like album, record, etc. are all interchangeably tossed around. I have not a care in the world if the songs they write are released in one batch or several.

Really, I think everything is moving so fast for the band that yeah, like slamhole implied, don't have to worry too much about the terminology.

My personal thoughts here: 4 completed songs with an additional 6 or 7 songs at different stages does add up to an album. That could mean 1 EP and eventual album, or a series of EP's that put together make up an album. The band is still brainstorming.

Still early to know what they'll do exactly, but the one thing that is for sure is that they do want to release music ASAP. It seems pretty certain we'll get the 4 songs they just finished first. Everything else is still up in the air though in terms of how they'll go about releasing music since as Mike stated, they don't have a specific plan yet.

Also, they should have a record deal soon too, but no word yet on who the band will sign with.

As soon as I can get another update from Mike, I'll fill everyone in. For now, we can be very excited that we're probably getting music much sooner than we could have possibly anticipated.
Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPs worked pretty well for Alice In Chains.

Awesome info Torres, thank you
Nicubus
Rogue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Brandon do it that way with Sons of the Sea? Release 4 songs as an EP and later the full album?
pistolabus
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torres, thanks man. very cool batch of info.

i, like others, am a bit torn though, as i'd love a full album. but, if it means an EP of 4 songs and then potentially an album or something of that nature, i can certainly dig it.

but, it doesn't seem that they've decided one way or another yet, regardless.

cmonnn new music!

surftb15
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicubus wrote:
Didn't Brandon do it that way with Sons of the Sea? Release 4 songs as an EP and later the full album?

Yea but in this case, they're talking about Multiple EP's, not one entire album.

I don't think this is a bad idea, the music for the first EP is already done.

And as they go on tour, they can write and create some interesting stuff based on those experiences.

hey, new music is better then no music.
Look_Alive
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I'm sure most of the core fanbase would happily buy new music however it's released, I'm not convinced that the casual fan/mainstream audience would maintain sufficient interest to buy music every two or three months for a 12 month or so period.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: