FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
10 years of Morning View
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ty
Privileged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: 10 years of Morning View Reply with quote

Time sure does fly. On October 23rd, 2001 Morning View hit the shelves (remember when that used to happen?) and would go on to become their most successful album to date.

I didn't get my hands and ears on it until well into 2003, but at 15 years old it had a profound impact on what music meant to me back then, not unlike how it affected & continues to affect people around the world. As Chris' polls showed, yet again Morning View tops the collective list as the fan favorite Incubus album. I know others like myself who still consider this record to be their favorite by any artist.

I know I will spend my day today thoroughly enjoying all 13 tracks of this awesome record (as well as the HQ show), not to mention an always excellent evening showing (read: cranking) of the Morning View Sessions show, which was also a decade ago today.

So cheers to Incubus and thank you for an amazing record that continues to resonate within many fans to this day!

phil collins
Privileged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time flies indeed
ebbingtide
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure do remember Morning View hitting the shelves. I remember enjoyincubus.com had really short snippets of the the songs in the weeks building up to its release. And I actually was on holiday in France on it's release date and made my parents drive me to a music shops so I could buy a copy. (this album did also hit illegal downloading before its release but only by about a week, downloading only got worse and easier).
1st June 2004 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
25th August 2005 - Reading Festival
29th September 2007 - Brixton, London
30th September 2007 - Brixton, London
1st October 2007 - Brixton, London
14th June 2011 - HMV Forum, London
4th November 2011 - Alexandra Palace, London
5th November 2011 - Cardiff
9th July 2012 - Brixton, London
16th June 2015 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
JosephC
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was 17 and I received this album with 4 of Incubus' other albums that Christmas. Still my favorite Incubus album and one of my all - time favorite albums. That Christmas I also received Shenmue II on the Dreamcast and one of my favorite things to do is play through the game while listening to Morning View and Morning View and Shenmue II quickly became my favorite album and video game respectively. I must say that Aqueous Transmission fit the game well.
phil collins
Privileged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was also the day the first iPod was introduced
stiggy
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought Morning View twice, my first copy got stolen. But I ended up buying Make Yourself three times, one was in the CD player in my friends truck when we crashed and I couldn't get it out of the wreck, the second one got stolen along with Morning View, and I now have my third copy at home. But yeah, Morning View is my fav.
Jazz
Privileged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel old.

This is my favorite album by any band. i remember that i skip school to go and buy this album but unfortunately, the record store didn't had it on the day of the release and i got it the following week.

i remember listening to the album like 2 or 3 times a day and i still do but not many times like i used to lol.

Warning is my favorite song on the album. that song always put me in a great mood when i have a bad day and it has a great feeling when they play it live.

wish my turntable could be working so i could listen to the album on vinyl Sad
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to the Incubus HQ Morning View Night bootleg right now.

I still have a very hard time which one is the better album between Make Yourself and Morning View. I can say that Morning View sealed the deal for me in terms of making me a diehard fan of this band for the long haul.

As popular as Morning View was, I still think it deserved a lot more accolades than it received. I expected it to at least be nominated for Best Rock Album at the Grammy's. Instead it was only nominated for Best Engineered Album (Non-Classical) and lost out to Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me".
Chareth Cutestory
Otherworldly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the album that got me into the band. I'd heard the Make Yourself singles and such but never really gave them much attention.

Then, during the Summer of 2002, a friend played "Circles" for me and I was hooked. Regardless of my status as a "fanboy" - this album is still, as Ty mentioned, one of the best albums ever - period.

Also, I think it's the only time the band has produced a truly cohesive album with a unified sound (INNW is a close second).
Jazz
Privileged

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonder if these morning view b sides will see the light of day someday:

i dream of fiji
puzzle
police car
little cat,little box
Spaceman
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question. i revisted the movement tonight. being from the MV era for the band, it was dirk on bass right?

i question because i can totally hear ben playing.
Nicubus
Rogue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaceman wrote:
question. i revisted the movement tonight. being from the MV era for the band, it was dirk on bass right?

i question because i can totally hear ben playing.

If by 'the movement' you mean the odyssey, that's actually the Crow era, so it's Ben.
Nicubus
Rogue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many others here, Morning View is what got me hooked. That album pretty much defined my musical taste as before it was all over the place.

It really is the perfect balance between heavy and mellow songs, and it's just got a mood to it that can't be recreated.

Don't know if I would call it my favorite nowadays as it's always battling Crow for that spot in my brain, but it's an almost flawless album.
Zeta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always and forever my favorite album of all time.
Zinger
Privileged

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the release date vividly. This was the first album I anticipated as I only discovered 'Make Yourself' post-release date. I was at work, in the parking lot; waiting for my best friend who had went to the record store to pick my copy up. I literally chilled in the parking lot that evening.

This was the album for me. This was the album that confirmed my thanks for this band being a part of my generation. This was the first album that was the conversation piece for anyone I met in life that was a fan of rock music. Every conversation started, "Are you familiar with Incubus and have you heard Morning View". I took this CD everywhere with me.

Time flies by indeed. This was also the first album that made me understand what Brandon meant when he stated how you usually remember something such as the smell in air when remember something important. Morning View was important to me and i remember obscure things such as a bug splat on the windshield of the car while I was waiting for my friend.

Love you Morning View Smile

"Don't hide your eyes...
It's time."
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was quite obsessed with Make Yourself before this album came out. And while Make Yourself wasn't exactly palatable to the mainstream (except of course for the monster that is Drive), I can definitely say this album was responsible for spreading and expanding incubus music across the masses. I remember almost every single college kid I know (I was in college then) who's remotely a fan of rock likes this album. Or maybe I got wrong -- maybe it's because of Drive that MV was inevitably pushed to the mainstream.

Also remembered the music video for Wish You Were Here. 9/11 just happened, so they had to redo the whole Brandon-jumping-off-a-bridge video to better suit the times. Also, Brandon being chased by girls was just too boyband-ish. lol. The peak of MTV madness. It had 'Lou Pearlman marketing' written all over it.

As for fave album, I still go for MY just because there's too much nostalgia already attached to that record for me.
The Messenger
Rogue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, the director's cut showed the entire band being chased by girls. Not just Brandon.

Either way, I listened to MV today straight through and I'm amazed by how well this album has aged.

[11.4.04] [7.26.07] [7.26.09] [8.21.11] [8.24.11]
hilikus1018
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember waking up on my 18th birthday to go to walmart before school started so I could buy this cd! Little did I know, someone bought it for me as a gift....so I had 2 copies....haha
pistolabus
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite album of all time.

Jazz
Privileged

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching the morning view sessions dvd and does anybody can hear what dirk says to mike on the early jamming of 11am? i remember that someone asked Mike about that on myspace.

tried to find that post but no luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: