FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
'If Now Now, When?' Album Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
legohair
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surface to Air would have worked as an amazing single to promote the album in my opinion, and Hold Me Down should have seen proper release, the song has fallen by the wayside pretty much.

Rebel Girls strikes an odd chord with me, I listen to it often but as an Incubus song it's just one on it's own. The main thing about that song for me is the electronic influence, something that they really messed with live, using that middle bit as some sort of glitchy wig out which I loved seeing. I wouldn't mind something like that to carry over to future material, but the song as a while is quite weak.
tingky
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Surface to Air and Adolescents are good songs, they somehow feel a bit too tame for their own good.

Adolescents, in particular, has huge potential to have the most epic chorus. Although his vocal might have disappointed in other songs on the album, Brandon's vocal in this particular song is phenomenal. But the instrumentation leaves much to be desired: Jose's drumming sounds lazy, and Mike's guitar sounds subdued where he could have exploded with a post-rock-ish wall of sound distortion... Just 2 things from the top of my head that could've made the song 10x better.

Oh, and that tambourine - god... They should've gotten rid of it.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't change a thing about Surface to Air. Now that I type that, I realise that small differences in the live version made me prefer that one at first.... Hmmm.

But agreed on Adolescents. It could've been more. Just like In the Company of Wolves and Switchblade. Potentially great songs (as heard live in the case of Switchblade) but a bit too subdued.
Look_Alive
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the fact If Not Now, When? was released after a long period without an album, and has also been followed by a large period without an album, has made fans view it a little more harshly? Let's say it was released when M&M was released, instead, and the band released a new album when INN,W? was released, would it have been viewed so negatively?

I think part of the fact it's viewed so badly is because of the weight of expectation the fans put on it; it was Incubus' comeback album, but was a radical change of sound... if it was released between two more Incubus albums, it might be viewed more as an experimental album.

surftb15
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel Girls was actually a morning view b side the band resurrected.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Never heard that before. How do you know?

@Look_Alive

If INNW would've been quickly followed by a different album, it wouldn't be judged as harshly as it is now only for the fact that something new would be discussed. Better said: it would have been forgiven if it would've been followed by a better album or it would be judged just as harsh but people wouldn't (have to) be so vocal about it, because there would be something else to talk about.
surftb15
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Ren and Brandon said that. I'll try to dig up the interview someplace.
surftb15
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ren said it on the July 01, 2011 Mornig Briefing. Unfortunatley, the link is dead.
Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow forgot about Hold Me Down. I actually definitely like that song. Gonna have to re-listen.
jordocean
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, that's really interesting to hear that Rebel Girls was a MV B-Side. It doesn't sound much like the style from that era, but cool nonetheless!
JLynn943
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to this album straight through for the first time in probably over a year. With the exception of the title track (and to a lesser degree Isadore), it just amazes me how much better the second half of the album is. It's hard to even judge if the second half is great, but it is at the very least far better than the first half, imo. Promises and F&L have still failed to grow on me. They are just sappy-sounding pop songs. Thieves is okay. I like the chorus, but the verses are forgettable. The Original is pretty good, but something just feels off about it to me - like there are the bones of a good song in there but it was just taken in the wrong direction.

After that though, I love Defiance, Switchblade and Adolescents. ITCOW is good, too, but those 3 were the 3 (along with INNW) that stood out to me when I first heard the album, and I still prefer them. Tomorrow's Food I'm mixed on though - sometimes I like it, sometimes I find it boring.

I think what helps the second half stand out to me is that there's actually some significant variety in the sound song-to-song. The first half feels like it's variations of the same sound I guess (again, minus INNW).

All-in-all, coming back to this album has me appreciating it more. The lame contemporary pop vibe of the first half of the album ended up being my lasting impression despite me having liked a good chunk of the album that deviated from that. I'm glad I came back to it because I did forget how much I like some of these songs. The only one I was regularly listening to was INNW, which I think is an absolutely gorgeous song.
September 10, 2011 - Camden, NJ
May 13, 2012 - Philadelphia, PA
May 16, 2012 - Bethlehem, PA
August 16, 2012 - Camden, NJ
Kainobi
Zeta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surftb15 wrote:

Is Adolescents also a resurrected MV B-side? If I'm correct, Mike also said Adolescents was an old idea. I remember seeing a full list of songs on a board with titles like "Drunken Waltz", from the MV sessions videos. And when you listen to Mirror of Venus from The Wild Trapeze, it's the same chords progression.

Drunken Waltz > Mirror of Venus > Adolescents ?

(or Drunken Waltz > Punch Drunk ? Smile )
redonkulousemu
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kainobi wrote:
surftb15 wrote:

Is Adolescents also a resurrected MV B-side? If I'm correct, Mike also said Adolescents was an old idea. I remember seeing a full list of songs on a board with titles like "Drunken Waltz", from the MV sessions videos. And when you listen to Mirror of Venus from The Wild Trapeze, it's the same chords progression.

Drunken Waltz > Mirror of Venus > Adolescents ?

(or Drunken Waltz > Punch Drunk ? Smile )

Well first off, I really don't believe Rebel Girls was from anywhere near the MV era. I'll believe it when I see the interview. Also, Adolescents was actually the last song they recorded for INNW? I've asked Mikey before if there were any left over songs from past albums, particularly MV, that might get released because I loved "Anything" so much. He said no, and anything on that board that wasn't released was probably just a short idea, but not a full song or recorded.
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14
gypsie
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surftb15 wrote:

This is blowing my mind.

You know how most of the songs from each album have a cohesive vibe to them.. not picturing that track. Guess that explains why it was cut.

I actually really enjoy the song.

alabaster
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized how much Hold Me Down sounds like it could be a paramore song. Listen to it. Especially the chorus. This song, if it had made the album (along with surface to air) would have been the third or fourth best song on the album. It at least has a little rock out part at the end that would have satisfied a lot of fans.

Rebel girls is an ok song that I think actually gets too much hate. I love Brandon's vocals on the chorus, it actually does remind me of his tone back from the MV era.

I have been known as an INN,W hater and although I do still think it's their weakest output since fungus, there are some good moments that are pretty well hidden within repeated listens. And the album has grown on me SLIGHTLY.
wtheris
Zeta

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only incubus album that I'd legit be embarassed to be caught listening to....not that I've even bothered to listen to it since the first cringe filled listen

somewhere along the way they need to remember that despite brandon's boy band looks they actually had a decent amount of a male fanbase as well. he needs to swap the estrogen pills out for testosterone or something, and no more embarassing music vids of him rolling around on the floor like promises promises or lying naked in a bath of milk like in that vid for that awful solo song of his
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we get rid of you? What's the point, man?
wtheris
Zeta

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on now don't be a poon, this place is slow as hell and nothing much is going on, so is me stopping by every month or 2 to give this place and brandon boyd in particular a much needed dose of mockery? This is a place to discuss incubus, not worship them and their every move.

This album and brandon boyd these days most definitely deserves some scorn, someone's gotta do it, I'll be that guy. You'll survive
Look_Alive
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame Brandon's looks all you want, but didn't most of the music come from Mike?

torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtheris wrote:
come on now don't be a poon, this place is slow as hell and nothing much is going on, so is me stopping by every month or 2 to give this place and brandon boyd in particular a much needed dose of mockery? This is a place to discuss incubus, not worship them and their every move.

This album and brandon boyd these days most definitely deserves some scorn, someone's gotta do it, I'll be that guy. You'll survive

You're done here. You're getting the Donald Sterling treatment, a lifetime ban from IOV.

Good riddance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: