FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
Jimmy Kimmel Live 2/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovincubus21
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have a video of trust fall on kimmel? They played that too right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lovincubus21
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, be on the lookout for the next version of mean tweets. Optimistic yes, but theres a chance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto
Familiar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger, if the song structure is so basic, why does Incubus sound like no other band out there? I've never heard any song that sounds remotely like AC...I feel like the guitar in the verses alone isn't a riff that anyone but Mike could come up with.

But putting that aside, what I really wanted to comment on was the lyrical content...you know, the part that everyone can sing along to? I find it really interesting that almost everyone comments on every aspect of the song except the actual lyrics.

Basically while I know that every song, (especially every Incubus song) is open to a wide variety of interpretations, this one pretty clearly seems to be describing a psychedelic experience. Not only is this rare in this day and age, but almost unheard of for a song that gets played on the radio. I mean, c'mon: "spun round like a gyre in the unified field"? That's not something you hear everyday.

To me, the lyrics are very far out of the mainstream and could have come straight out of the 1960's counter culture. And that's why I think many people wouldn't have the slightest idea what Brandon's singing about.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been discussed a little bit. I feel that they are a little bit try hard, to be honest. Yes, these lyrics are not mainstream, but are they so much more strange than lyrics of other bands? I doubt it. There are a ton of bands out there with cryptic lyrics, that seem boggus if you don't dig into it.

And the structure. We're talking song structure and you begin about sound. With song structure I mean (and I thought that was clear enough) that it's verse-chorus-verse-etc.That has nothing to do with sound, it's one of the few things in music that you objectively can observe. Thing is, they always use a fairly standard song structure (except for example in In The Company of Wolves), found in every mainstream song. That's not experimental.

I think Mike has a defined sound and way of playing guitar, but I don't think his riffs are far left-field all the time.

If we're talking experimental music, I don't feel Incubus compare to for example Radiohead, Pink Floyd or Rush. Not at all. In terms of experimentation I'd put Incubus maybe in the same league as Arcade Fire and Muse. Trying new things? yes. Far left-field and too much for the mainstream? No.
pistolabus
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy that crowd was really going wild.

dupliticus
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never would think to associate a psychedelic experience/trip to the lyrics. I find most interpretations are based on our own perceptions and belief structures. For example, this song reminds me of someone's quest to find a connection with Deity in a world of mistrust, chaos, and consequences. "Are you there, or not?" Anyway, that seems the obvious to me, so perhaps the lyrics are never obvious because of their metaphoric format. I personally appreciate Brandon's tropic approach because it is so ambiguous at face value, but can translate to intimate connections that otherwise wouldn't occur. That's a big reason why I stick with a band that changes som much. Anyway, I am really loving this song Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
redonkulousemu
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovincubus21 wrote:
anyone have a video of trust fall on kimmel? They played that too right?

If they didn't broadcast it during the show, probably not. I've seen a couple bands at Jimmy Kimmel, and most of the time they actually play mini concerts, sometimes 4-5 songs, (Jimmy Eat World played the most, 7 songs) which obviously don't get all broadcasted, and as far as I know, they were never put up on the site, but I could be wrong.
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: