FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
"Drive" similarity to a Kevin Gilbert song

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoundscapeMN
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: "Drive" similarity to a Kevin Gilbert song Reply with quote

Not being incredibly versed in Incubus' catalog, I had never heard "Drive" before, but someone on Facebook pointed this out recently, and I am pretty taken a back on how similar they are.

They don't sound identical, but the key, chord progression and tempos sounds almost the same; almost to the point I wonder if the Incubus guys are fans. I would normally be a little surprised, although Kevin, like Incubus, lived in California, for what that's worth.

But the late Kevin Gilbert, my favorite musician of all-time, is still incredibly obscure and unknown, that his music ever finding the Incubus guys playlist, would still be surprising, and more likely purely coincidence in the similarity.

I wonder if anyone would ever have the chance to ask the Incubus guys about this, it might be interesting to hear what they may say.

Kevin Gilbert's "Miss Broadway"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp-lNwx_S3o

Incubus "Drive"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLy4QVp68_U

allmediareviews blog
devoiced
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Drive" similarity to a Kevin Gilbert song Reply with quote

SoundscapeMN wrote:
Not being incredibly versed in Incubus' catalog, I had never heard "Drive" before,

Member of IOV since 2008
almost 1000 posts
hasn't heard "Drive"
Shocked

but on topic:
the similarities are striking, at least in the guitar part!
Even the progression of the song is quite similar.
But then again...both are pretty formulaic examples of late 90s altrock IMO.

Kevin Gilbert sounds pretty good... I will check out his discography ASAP Very Happy
redonkulousemu
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have identical strumming patterns, but I think only the first chord is the same (maybe the second too). I would have to sit down and figure out the song to see exactly how similar they are. From what I can gather, the only recording of that song is from that Troubadour show, and that live album wasn't released until 1999 (and I can't seem to find an exact date), so unless Mike was at that show, what an incredible coincidence for those two songs to be so similar haha.

I watched his performance of Genesis' (one of my other all time favorite bands) Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. His band is incredibly good, pretty crazy he was almost the new singer of Genesis.
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song was apparently about his ex-girlfriend, who happended to be Sheryl Crow.

This might have the potential to get a lot of press.
SoundscapeMN
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Drive" similarity to a Kevin Gilbert song Reply with quote

devoiced wrote:
SoundscapeMN wrote:
Not being incredibly versed in Incubus' catalog, I had never heard "Drive" before,

Member of IOV since 2008
almost 1000 posts
hasn't heard "Drive"
Shocked

but on topic:
the similarities are striking, at least in the guitar part!
Even the progression of the song is quite similar.
But then again...both are pretty formulaic examples of late 90s altrock IMO.

Kevin Gilbert sounds pretty good... I will check out his discography ASAP Very Happy

oh yeah, I know how odd it is being a member and posting on this forum for so long. I mainly started coming to this forum after the Kaddisfly fans mentioned it to me, and I noticed how many bands on the "Amp" subforum, that others liked that I am a fan of.

Incubus, really I can claim to enjoy "Odyssey" from the Halo 2 soundtrack, and I have S.C.I.E.N.C.E. on CD and remember enjoying it, but I honestly haven't gone back to it in many years.

Being that I love progressive rock, I'm not sure beyond those 2 things, what Incubus music may work for me, as a lot of their other music I have heard, I don't recall being all that into (although in fairnewss, I'm thinking of some of the songs that get airplay on the local Corporate Metal radio station in Minnesota, 93X).

@redonkulousemu

"Miss Broadway" was a song Kevin wrote in the mid 90's after Sheryl Crow and him parted ways and it seemed to she ended up taking credit for some of the music they wrote together (not just Kevin, but also other members of the Tuesday Music Club).

It never was released for various reasons, but was intended to be on his record "Thud" which in fact the 20th Anniversary Deluxe edition just was released a couple of weeks ago and does include the studio version of "Miss Broadway."

But Kevin died in 1996, but "Miss Broadway" was a song he played often live around the time "Thud" was released in 1994/1995.

It's likely purely coincidence, but it still makes me curious if any of the Incubus guys might have come across it or been at a show or something when he may have performed it.

Also if you go to Kevin's site, http://www.kevingilbert.com that performance his band played of "The Lamb" along with the Thud Deluxe (which also includes Vinyl in 1 package), just went on sale.

edit: it appears it can be downloaded free among some of the other tracks
http://www.popplusone.com/audio/Thud/Disc%203/2_miss_broadway.mp3

But afa Incubus, I probably should check out some of their other albums, just for the reason I do really love "Odyssey" and have always wondered if they ever did any other things remotely progrock-like. Maybe not, but I could be missing out. I know bands like Kaddisfly and Oceansize who I am a huge fan of, have received comparisons to them, so perhaps there's more Incubus stuff that I would enjoy that I've never heard before.

allmediareviews blog
redonkulousemu
Turbo Geek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I see. I'm also a huge fan of prog rock, so if you want to get more into their music, four of their proggiest songs are: "Sick Sad Little World", "Pendulous Threads", "In the Company of Wolves", and I guess it's technically two songs, but they flow together perfectly "Quicksand"/"A Kiss to Send Us Off." That should be a good starter kit for the prog fan.
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14
SoundscapeMN
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, checking some of this out, yeah some of this sounds more up my alley. They almost remind me of Minus the Bear (or vice-versa), who I enjoy, but also at times have struggled with (Planet of Ice is their 1 record I love).

edit: and possibly some other bands from my background, like I Mother Earth and Faith No More.

But perhaps it's just been laziness for my lack of experience/interest in Incubus's music.

Odd how when I see the word "Incubus" I always think of the song by Marillion, which like Miss Broadway, may have absolutely no connection. But Marillion happens to be my favorite band too, lol.

allmediareviews blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> Incubus All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: