Incubus Ultimate Survivor: THE LAST WINNER

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Ultimate Survivor: THE LAST WINNER

Postby Jelger » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:23 am

Hi IOV'ers! We've done it! We did a survivor for all the albums, b-sides and the winners! It's done. No more spam from me.

And let's all hail the ultimate Incubus-track according to this subreddit and the posters at IOV Boards: JUST A PHASE!

It won surprisingly easily over The Warmth in the final: 44 votes for Just A Phase and 91 for The Warmth. Just A Phase embodies I think the two Incubus-worlds: (sort of) heavy and gentle. The guitar part is a testament to Mike's greatness, not overly complex, but refined. A good winner if you ask me. See a live version here.

All the results:

Fungus Amongus
S.C.I.E.N.C.E
Make Yourself
Morning View
A Crow Left of the Murder
Light Grenades
If Not Now, When?
Trust Fall (Side A)
B-sides
It's been quite the ride. Almost a year of survivors with all of you. I'm glad we're done, because I kept forgetting to regularly update the past few weeks. But I think it was fun to see these unfold, with some surprising results!

Ranking:

1 Just A Phase

2 The Warmth

3 Sick Sad Little World

4 Anna Molly

5 Look Alive

6 Trust Fall

7 Glitterbomb

8 Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)

9 Adolescents

10 Azwethinkweiz

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Ultimate Survivor: THE LAST WINNER

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:58 am

So we've finally reached the winner of all winners.

I first want to say thank you so much for all your hard work on all the survivors, Jelger! It is truly appreciated!

It's been a long journey, but it's been so great to revisit songs I had'nt listened to in a while and see how I feel about them now. Some songs I fell back in love with all over again (Monuments and Melodies), while some gave me reminders of why I never liked them to begin with (sorry, Diamonds and Coal).

Now as far as this final round, I was surprised it was so one-sided, but I kind of understand why. Like Jelger said, Just A Phase captures so many aspects of what Incubus does into one song. Kil's scratching, the melodies, the subtle yet strong performances from Mike, Alex, and Jose, the quirky lyrics. It all works for me. The whole song ebbs and flows and then hits like a huge wave at the end. Brandon shows a lot of different textures to his voice on this song, as well. This is a great song to represent what the band does as a whole, so I'm quite happy with this result.
-Brandi

We stand undefined
Can't be drawn with a straight line
This will not be our ending
We are alive, we are alive

Evanescence-Imperfection

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Merry Christmas just a phase !!!

legohair
Hot Dancer

Postby legohair » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:24 am

I can live with Just A Phase being the winner. I received Morning View as a Christmas present in 2002, after seeing Drive & Pardon Me on TV the years before and my dad finding out I was getting into Incubus. I used to stick the CD on every night and listen back to front, and Just A Phase was one of the standout tracks to me. It really is quintessential Incubus and captures that Soft/Heavy vibe masterfully.

Thank you for running the survivors this year Jelger, it's been very interesting and quite funny watching the results come in week after week, and eye opening as to everyones preferences being so different!

Return to “Incubus”