Our Love - Song Discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Jelger » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 am

For me, it relates to the tone and content of the lyrics mostly. Musically maturity is harder to define, but I think a song like Agoraphobia sounds more mature than Our Love. Again, I can't really put my finger on why I think that.

But lyrically, I feel the themes Brandon sung about, the vocabulary he used, the diversity in his lyrics, the melodies he used and the tone he sung at, all were more grown-up fifteen years ago. The higher pitched-tone he has used in more recent songs, sounds more 'childish'. When you look at his lyrics from If Not Now, When onwards, I feel there is a lot more repetition in themes and vocabulary. He seems limited in a way.

I also think that's why I feel that Brandon (and Jose, but that's a different story) have become the weakest links in the band in recent years.

User avatar
Justanothercrow421
Privileged
Posts: 2589
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: UCLA
Contact:

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Justanothercrow421 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:51 pm

You and I are on the same wavelength, Jelger. That's exactly what I was trying to get across.

Not to get too far off topic, but what about Jose's drumming makes you feel as though he's a weak link in the band?
Image

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Jelger » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 pm

I don't think that's off topic at all, because this song is one.of the prime examples. I am no drumming expert, but nothing about his drumming excites me in most songs from INNW onwards. And while the pattern in Our Love is cool to an extent, I find the repition of it.throughout the whole song dragging the song down. Jose peaked with ACLOTM and LG, and just like Brandon I feel he has become more repetitive, simplistic and less surprising in most songs since.

User avatar
Justanothercrow421
Privileged
Posts: 2589
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: UCLA
Contact:

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Justanothercrow421 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:02 pm

I do agree with you that their peak was Crow/LG, but I think his drumming lately is really just conforming to the sorts of songs Mike and Brandon are writing nowadays. These kinds of pop songs just don't lend themselves well to the kind of colorful drumming he used to perform earlier.
Image

User avatar
Blind Melon
Zedeveel
Posts: 3654
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:27 am
Location: Arvada, CO

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Blind Melon » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 pm

Thanks for taking the time to clarify, Jelger... I promise I'm not trying to be an asshole by questioning your reasoning and whatnot.

Jelger wrote:For me, it relates to the tone and content of the lyrics mostly. Musically maturity is harder to define, but I think a song like Agoraphobia sounds more mature than Our Love. Again, I can't really put my finger on why I think that.

I mean, Our Love is kind of a different genre than Agoraphobia, and I think the simplistic melodies and songwriting kind of comes more with pop music. I do miss the production quality of ACLOTM and LG... everything sounds more open and not as compressed as these newer songs.

Jelger wrote:But lyrically, I feel the themes Brandon sung about, the vocabulary he used, the diversity in his lyrics, the melodies he used and the tone he sung at, all were more grown-up fifteen years ago. The higher pitched-tone he has used in more recent songs, sounds more 'childish'. When you look at his lyrics from If Not Now, When onwards, I feel there is a lot more repetition in themes and vocabulary. He seems limited in a way.

I'll concede this, yes, but I actually think his terse lyrics on 8 worked well and got the point across. And in songs like Glitterbomb, I love when he adds the strain to his voice... similar in Absolution Calling where the strain becomes more prominent toward the end of the song. INN,W? lyrically is probably the weakest, well, outside of Fungus. I do think his voice sounds very smooth on INN,W? I wouldn't say childish, but yeah, I could see that argument with these newer songs.

I noticed the biggest change in how he sang when he started doing his solo work and Sons of the Sea... you could see that Brandon is the major pop element of Incubus. Whereas Ben brings the 80s rock/90s alt rock sound.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

User avatar
Blind Melon
Zedeveel
Posts: 3654
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:27 am
Location: Arvada, CO

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Blind Melon » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm

Jelger wrote:I don't think that's off topic at all, because this song is one.of the prime examples. I am no drumming expert, but nothing about his drumming excites me in most songs from INNW onwards. And while the pattern in Our Love is cool to an extent, I find the repition of it.throughout the whole song dragging the song down. Jose peaked with ACLOTM and LG, and just like Brandon I feel he has become more repetitive, simplistic and less surprising in most songs since.

Didn't Jose say something after the recording of 8 that he usually has time to think about patterns and how he fits into songs, but during 8, he was forced to make him come up with on-the-spot patterns? So maybe he's still trying to figure that out?
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

GrahamLAT
Zeta
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 am

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby GrahamLAT » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:25 am

Overall, I think it’s been a write-off since the last good release, Trust Fall Side A. There were two excellent songs on that, one very good and one abomination. Trust Fall was so exciting, sounded like modern Incubus to me, exactly where I wanted and hoped they would go. 8 is sterile and forgettable and these last two singles wouldn’t normally make b sides, especially into the summer. The Incubus otherworldly sparkle seems to have gone, sadly.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Jelger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:14 am

I definitely prefer Into the Summer over Our Love. Trust Fall is by a mile the best song they've done since Surface to Air

legohair
Hot Dancer
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:56 am
Location: UK

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby legohair » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:32 am

GrahamLAT wrote:Overall, I think it’s been a write-off since the last good release, Trust Fall Side A. There were two excellent songs on that, one very good and one abomination. Trust Fall was so exciting, sounded like modern Incubus to me, exactly where I wanted and hoped they would go. 8 is sterile and forgettable and these last two singles wouldn’t normally make b sides, especially into the summer. The Incubus otherworldly sparkle seems to have gone, sadly.


Definitely a shift, also in part to Brendan O'Brien & Steve Rennie not being involved anymore.

Trust Fall the track itself was quintessential Incubus, and Absolution Calling remains one of my favourite songs by them. Dance Like Your Dumb was absolute filler - but I remain a fan of MOP.

Just got to follow the ride now and see what April brings.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Jelger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:24 pm

Wasn't Brendan O'brien involved in Into the Summer at least?

User avatar
enjoincubus2
Turbo Geek
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:54 pm
Location: NY/NJ
Contact:

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby enjoincubus2 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 am

You know a song really isn't that great when you forget about it a week after its was released.

On a side note, I purchased both singles on their own and bought the EP too. Does that mean paid twice for Into the Summer and Our Love? If so, yikes...
MSG 6/25/04
TAJ 8/11/06
Hammerstein 1/31/07
Penns Landing 8/6/07
Penns Landing 8/8/07
Jones Beach 8/9/07
PNC 8/10/07
RCMH 8/4/09
RCMH 8/5/09
PNC 8/7/09
Penns Landing 8/8/09
PNC 9/4/11
Asbury Park 5/18/12
Jones Beach 8/16/12
Sands Casino 7/31/15
PNC 8/4/15
PNC 7/14/17
Bethel Woods 7/16/17
State Theater 10/9/19

enjoi incubus

incuboy2012ad
The Karate Kid
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:39 pm

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby incuboy2012ad » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Our Love is #40 on Billboard Hot Rock Songs. Hopefully it’ll chart on Mainstream Rock or Alternative Songs in the next few weeks and give Incubus another top 20 hit. It’s getting played fairly frequently on the local rock station here in Houston. Way more than I heard Nimble Bastard or Absolution Calling played.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Our Love - Song Discussion

Postby Jelger » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:29 am

The song has grown ever so slightly on me, but like Enjoincubus2 said: I've also kind of forgot about it. Noticed that Dutch alt. radio is playing it way more than any Incubus-single since Light Grenades. Which is still not a ton, but it's something. Apparently it struck a chord with some people.


Return to “Incubus”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests