Ranking the live DVDs

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Ranking the live DVDs

Postby GrahamLAT » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Thought I’d have a go, hope i haven’t missed one:

5) Incubus HQ live - some good moments but you can tell they are trying to put on a happy face. Quite tinny sound but nevertheless a great idea.

4) Alive at Red Rocks - It’s a brilliant concert and amazing setting but the extras aren’t great and it’s just not quite as good as the top 3.

3) When Incubus Attacks Volume 2 - So much bang for your buck - music videos, two gigs and acoustic session. Great capture of the early era.

2) Morning View Sessions - Great combo of an amazing live show (what HQ should have been) and brilliant sound. Great clips from the MV house also.

1) Look Alive - the one you’d show to convert a non-fan. So much effort went into this. Amazing performances, sound and visuals, brilliant deep Incubus jams. Also a decent travelogue and you get a CD of great, often overlooked music. Great atmosphere and the studio Rogues and Look Alive seem to capture the best of Ben-era Incubus.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Ranking the live DVDs

Postby The Idler Wheel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Ranking the DVD's is as hard as ranking albums to me. You get different things out of each.

For me Alive at Red Rocks is the one I pull out the most frequently because it's the one that gives me the great live concert feeling the most. Jose's drum solo, The Ben-Jose-Brandon drum circle, the best live version of SSLW (11 minutes long and every moment was perfection) and the epic Pardon Me at the end. No topping that!

Look Alive is the best put together, like you said, but it's too chopped up for me to enjoy it as a concert DVD. The fact that the performances are spliced from multiple dates add to that. Makes it feel more like music videos, with travel logs in between, which I'm sure was the intention.

Same for the Live HQ. It's choppy with the all the fan interludes, but I love the intimacy of that one.

MV Sessions is great as far as all the footage of the house, but it's too short on performances.

When Incubus Attacks is the DVD I pull out the least. Lots of content, but the band was still kind of green, so a lot of the songs they performed were performed better on subsequent DVD's. The performances of Idiot Box and Green on The Red Rocks DVD pretty much crushed anything on this, imo.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:35 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:Ranking the DVD's is as hard as ranking albums to me. You get different things out of each.

For me Alive at Red Rocks is the one I pull out the most frequently because it's the one that gives me the great live concert feeling the most. Jose's drum solo, The Ben-Jose-Brandon drum circle, the best live version of SSLW (11 minutes long and every moment was perfection) and the epic Pardon Me at the end. No topping that!

Look Alive is the best put together, like you said, but it's too chopped up for me to enjoy it as a concert DVD. The fact that the performances are spliced from multiple dates add to that. Makes it feel more like music videos, with travel logs in between, which I'm sure was the intention.

Same for the Live HQ. It's choppy with the all the fan interludes, but I love the intimacy of that one.

MV Sessions is great as far as all the footage of the house, but it's too short on performances.

When Incubus Attacks is the DVD I pull out the least. Lots of content, but the band was still kind of green, so a lot of the songs they performed were performed better on subsequent DVD's. The performances of Idiot Box and Green on The Red Rocks DVD pretty much crushed anything on this, imo.

I like modern plays of SCIENCE songs, eg Redefine on Look Alive, but I just can’t stand Shade without the slap bass. I agree with you about Idiot Box on Red Rocks. It sounds great and the vocal is amazing on it.

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:49 am

The Idler Wheel wrote:Ranking the DVD's is as hard as ranking albums to me. You get different things out of each.

For me Alive at Red Rocks is the one I pull out the most frequently because it's the one that gives me the great live concert feeling the most. Jose's drum solo, The Ben-Jose-Brandon drum circle, the best live version of SSLW (11 minutes long and every moment was perfection) and the epic Pardon Me at the end.

Rewatched it and I agree, it gives you the live concert feel in a stunning setting, amazing performances and sound. What I didn’t realise until I watched it back is that Ben uses it as one giant jam session! He has variations all over the shop :shock:

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:30 pm

This is hard for me to rank, probably harder than the albums at this point. The albums are becoming more and more set in their respective places for me.

As for the DVD's, it's easiest for me to start with the bottom two: When Incubus Attacks Vol. 2 and HQ Live. The first one is Incubus in a cool era, but it also reminds me that with Ben they've become a much better live band (I think shows from 2001 already sound so much more polished in a good way). The rawness is what makes that era cool and at the same time is what makes me skip this DVD a lot.
HQ Live is different. I like the setting, I like the performances, but I really, and I mean really, dislike the slow-motion used in the editing. I also don't really like how the lightning in the shop where they played. The tracklist is cool, with some odd ones in there, but it doesn't feel like you're being drawn into the performance because it's so fragmented. It would've worked better if it was more similar to the next DVD on my ranking.

Morning View Sessions. I really like this one. I think the band is in a great place in terms of their sound, I love the bits from the house and I think the performance is great. New Skin sounds awesome on here, I love the version of The Warmth (even with Brandon's missed note during the bridge). But it's short in terms of a concert, and I would've loved more. But I think the excecution and editing is much better than HQ Live.

The top-two is where it gets hard, but Alive at Red Rocks is second for me. The performance, setlist, setting, the way it's filmed are all great. It's just a great live DVD and I have nothing bad to say.

It's just that I like the dynamic, look and attitude of the band during/on Look Alive speaks to me more. I think the track list could've been better, with a performance of one or two extra older songs, but I actually like that there is no Drive, Wish You Were Here or Nice to Know You on it. I think they way it's filmed is the best, when considering the live footage. The diary parts don't take me out of the experience, it's just a great DVD.

Return to “Incubus”