Discovering new music

Know a good band? Promote new bands and discuss everything music related here!

Moderators: phil collins, redonkulousemu, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421, Rich

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Discovering new music

Postby Jelger » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:18 am

So this is something I've been wondering about for a while: for a few years, I've been noticing that I am less and less invested in discovering in new music. I hardly keep up and most of the time I only check-out new albums from bands I already know (but not bands I am a fan of by default).

I wonder why. I am 29 years old, turning 30 this summer. I once read some research paper that said on average people stop listening to new music after turning 25, which for me would be about right. The last few bands/acts that really grabbed my attention in the last three to four years were Wolf Alice and Courtney Barnett, but besides that I can't think of a new-new band that I got into. Some bands that have existed for a long time have been coming to the forefront more over the years (Pearl Jam being the prime example for me, a serious contender for the top spot) and some older bands I have discovered now, but really new and young bands don't seem to grab my interest. And the last year I have been noticing that new albums of bands I'm a casual fan of, usually fade to the back of mind quickly too. I listen to the albums 4-5 times in the weeks after they've been released, and then sort of forget about them. Arctic Monkeys being an example, though I didn't like their last album at all, but other examples are the latest releases of De Staat, Thrice, Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age.

One other factor could be Spotify becoming my main way to consume music. When I still used iTunes/a local library, I was constantly confronted with every album I had on my laptop. With Spotify, if I listened to a new song/album and don't save a track to my favorites or another playlist, I hardly ever go back to that album, while on iTunes I would see that album in my library every time I scrolled through it. But on the other hand: Spotify should greatly enhance the ease with which you discover new music. So I'm not sure if that's a factor.

Does anyone else have the same experience? If so, what do you think is the reason you don't discover a lot of new exciting music? Or if you don't: how do you go about discovering new bands and music?

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Re: Discovering new music

Postby Blind Melon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:24 am

I totally echo what you're going through... For the most part, I have a bunch of playlists for different moods/parts of the day that I put on... If a certain band comes on shuffle, and I want to listen to the album, I will, but that's becoming more rare.

But it's also a lot of newer music bores me... Too little creativity, or at least, from what I've heard, so it makes me withdraw even more from wanting to discover newer music. It takes a lot of time and effort to find gems... You really take a gamble with a new band, and then it almost becomes regrettable. It wasn't that difficult back in early 2000... But maybe I was more open to trying new bands. I wish we had a total count of bands back then vs now... I feel like it's been an exponential growth, which makes it even more difficult to find quality bands.

I also think time is a factor here... I'd listened to and discovered a lot of music during college... On my walk home, taking a drive somewhere, doing homework, etc. Now, I mostly listen to music while working, and I need something to keep me focused, so I'll put on a favorites playlist, or something like that, because I know I'll enjoy it. It's almost like I've become content with my music collection.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:45 am

Yeah, change of lifestyle definitely is a huge factor. I think that's where the age of 25 also comes from, it's when most people really start getting into the grind of daily working life. When I was working I always listened to music, but indeed: something in the background, that I didn't need to focus on.

I too have not found many interesting bands lately, but I am of the opinion that if you look in any period of time, you'll find interesting bands (within your genre-preference). I just don't really take the time to do it anymore, and feel no motivation to do so.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:43 pm

I'm in my late 30's now, and I feel this all the time. I feel like I'm turning into my parents saying, "They don't make music like they used to". But every generation goes through that.

It is true that your teens to early 20's is the peak era of discovering music and solidifying your attachment to certain artists and genres. I feel so lucky to have my adolescence be in the 90's/early 2000's because I feel there was such diversity on radio and TV. It seemed like every genre kind of had its moment to shine. I still like some music today, but I'm not attached to most of it compared to the music that was out there when I was growing up. Honestly, I think Paramore is the last band I truly got into and that was over twelve years ago now, which, as it turns out, was when I was 25. Most artists I listen to have been around 20+ years.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Another thing I started to notice, relating to the 'listening to comfortable bands'-comment in the Incubus-thread, is that I now frequently listen to radio. And oddly enough: the same station my mother always listened when I was growing up. That station moved with the times a bit, but still plays a lot of older music. I find it relaxing, because I don't have to think about what to put on. When I was in my early 20's I never understood why anyone would listen to the radio. If you wanted to listen to music, then why listen to something where you have to hope to hear a song you like? But I get it now. And it makes me feel ancient!

Return to “Amp”