Your favorite Incubus-moment

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Your favorite Incubus-moment

Postby Jelger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:35 am

So I've been thinking about this since I saw the band on their European last year: what was my favorite moment out of the six concerts I've attended? And I was wondering the same for you guys.

After some thinking I've come to the conclusion that the performance of Pardon Me during the Londen concert in 2015 is my favorite moment. It wasn't my favorite concert by them, it wasn't my favorite setlist, but that slowed down start to the song gave it something magical and fresh. I had seen the videos on YouTube, so I knew what was coming, but I couldn't have prepared myself for the crowd. In my mind Incubus crowds are always pretty laidback, and at the shows I've been there always had been a lot of casual fans in the back that didn't really participate in singing along or anything.

But this show it was different. When the show started with Wish You Were Here, I already had that feeling. Then during Vitamin there was some serious mosh pits, which to be honest never really happened at any Incubus gig I went to be before. Are You In was received with the smell of joints being fired up. Trust Fall and Absolution Calling were received as new heroes. And then came Pardon Me. Brandon and Mike start the slow intro, the crowd picks up quickly and sings along in such a way, the band is actually stunned for a moment. They applaud the crowd and continue, firing the song up with a ferocious drum roll by Jose and as the song goes into full blast, there is a burst of energy in the crowd that I've not experienced at any other Incubus show.

I watch this video of that moment from time to time, just to remind me how great that moment felt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Fb05X7Uas

So what's yours? Doesn't have to be a live-experience, it can also be that moment that you met the band, heard a certain song for the first time or whatever!

edabomb
Familiar

Re: Your favorite Incubus-moment

Postby edabomb » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:04 am

I have a good non-concert story. I was already a fan as I had bought Make Yourself in 2000 or early 2001. I remember picking up Morning View a day or two after release but not getting a chance to play it as I was in the middle of high school finals. My last exam in high school was Economics, which I had been flunking all year. I decided to do some last minute study the night before and chucked in Morning View. I was hooked immediately in a way that I don't think has happened before or since. I played that album on a loop and studied until 5 or 6am, got an hour or 2 of sleep before the exam. Ended up learning a year of Economics in one night and scraped through with a pass.

That summer between high school and university I remember buying Enjoy Incubus. I then got to see them for the first time in Wellington, New Zealand in March 2002. That will always be my favourite gig. In the days before social media you just didn't know what to expect at your first concert, and things like knowing the setlist before you go just didn't happen in my part of the world.

Miss those days as gigs can seem so rehearsed these days that the performers are just going through the motions.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:12 am

I think your last point really is something interesting to discuss, but perhaps better in a broader discussion in the Amp-section here.

But that's cool man! I envy you seeing them in 2002. I am a late bloomer, only really getting into the band with Anna Molly in '06. So If Not Now, When? was the first release I could anticipate and look forward to. I had taken it upon myself to not listen to any samples beforehand and not give in to leaks - assuming they would happen at best two or three weeks before release. When it leaked three months early, I couldn't resist and gave in (reminding myself that I pre-ordered the vinyl and that the band still would get money from me, to make me feel less bad). I sat down in my room, with a pot of tea and I vividly remember how let down I was by the album, more so upon first listen. I spinned it three times, but especially the title track went completely over my head. That was such a let down.

incuboy2012ad
The Karate Kid

Postby incuboy2012ad » Wed May 08, 2019 2:54 pm

My favorite Incubus moment came at the Houston concert 2009 Monuments & Melodies Tour. I have seen incubus on every tour since Morning View ‘02. But something about this show, this night, this crowd in ‘09 was incredible. You could feel the connection between all 5 guys on stage and the 16,000 sold out fans. I have seen them bring better stage setups, play much better setlists and even up close in smaller venues. But this moment during Drive, we were screaming so loud, Mike and Brandon stopped and took it all in. Mike holds his ears, Brandon says how cool we are, Mike motions for us to quiet down and we only got louder. It was amazing. Check out the video. The whole night was stellar.

https://youtu.be/n3RDgFNt2Lw

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu May 09, 2019 3:20 am

That's crazy, that video... hard to believe that was ten years ago!

pistolabus
Human Magic Marker

Postby pistolabus » Fri May 17, 2019 12:30 pm

3 come to mind for me:
- June 04, huge arena tour, when they started the first opening sounds of Crowded Elevator...lost my shit
- August 08 or 09, festival pier here in philly, sweltering heat and humidity, Circles...sweaty insanity
- January 07, small venue tour, electric factory, calgone on the encore...lost...my...shit
5.11.02 - 7.27.03 - 6.28.04 - 6.29.04 - 1.29.07 - 8.6.07 - 8.8.07 - 8.10.07 - 8.4.09 - 8.8.09 - 9.4.11 - 9.10.11 - 9.11.11 - 5.13.12 - 5.16.12 - 8.7.15 - 8.8.15 - 7.20.17

Return to “Incubus”