News and Updates

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

tingky
The Fly Guy

Re: News and Updates

Postby tingky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:14 pm

While I still don't like the song, I loved the music video. The intro was especially hilarious.

I also have to commend the stellar acting from the band. :roll:

Ty
Privileged

Postby Ty » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:37 pm

I completely agree, hands down best Incubus video to date. Fucking awesome :lol: :lol:

Juan.
The Fly Guy

Postby Juan. » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:23 pm

I love how you can see the staff moving Kil's fake leg into the trap. Hilarious (and awesome) video!

Look_Alive
Rogue

Postby Look_Alive » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:22 pm

I see Jose's in London today - European press tour? Wonder if they'll be doing any tv shows over here, always been confused as to how they've never done Jools Holland.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:24 am

There's a listening party in Berlin with Jose and Brandon.

Also will be doing a q&a and signing at Fingerprints on release day. https://m.facebook.com/events/413153915713123/

EDIT: Also a Facebook live chat with NME. I'll try to sneaky watch it during work.
Brandon says that Undefeated is his current Incubus-song. I hope that is the marketing talking. For Jose it's State of the Art. Overall a pretty so-so interview, more light-hearted than informative. You can find the video of the livestream on NME's Facebook.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:32 am

Yeah, not much news to gain from that interview, but still nice to see Brandon and Jose.

I love hearing that Brandon still listens to Jeff Buckley (one of my all-time favorite artists). I was surprised to learn that Jose was a Paul Simon fan. Makes me love him more!!
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:53 am

It was good anyway to see Jose join. I understand that Mike and Brandon are sort of the spokespersons for the band, but another voice in an interview is pretty refreshing.

I just wish music outlets would stop using interviewers that focus on the human interest side of things so much. Dig into that music and the workings of the band for god's sake!

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:04 am

Jelger wrote:I just wish music outlets would stop using interviewers that focus on the human interest side of things so much. Dig into that music and the workings of the band for god's sake!

I hear ya!! I guess they feel if they get too in the weeds regarding the whole process some people would find it boring. I find it quite fascinating. But that's the high school music geek in me that will never die. LOL!!
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Cottonete
Hot Dancer

Postby Cottonete » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Well, they still have not announced an argentinean date for the tour and the ticket sales for the chilean show went live today. I guess I'm going to Chile. If that's not love for a band, I don't know what it is.
Sebastián.
Some of my work! -->CottonPhotodesign / Incubus Pics @ Buenos Aires 2013
Oct 11th 2007 / Oct 5th 2010 / Dec 14th 2013 / Sep 28th 2017

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Yeah, do it. If they announce an Argentinan date, I'm sure you can still sell the Chile ticket. And otherwise, you at least get an Incubus show. No regrets!

Cottonete
Hot Dancer

Postby Cottonete » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Jelger wrote:Yeah, do it. If they announce an Argentinan date, I'm sure you can still sell the Chile ticket. And otherwise, you at least get an Incubus show. No regrets!

Yeah, I guess I will see them 2 times if they announce a date here. I already have the Chilean ticket. :mrgreen: (Man, how old are these emojis)
Sebastián.
Some of my work! -->CottonPhotodesign / Incubus Pics @ Buenos Aires 2013
Oct 11th 2007 / Oct 5th 2010 / Dec 14th 2013 / Sep 28th 2017

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:20 pm

They are from the time we still called them smileys (or emoticons).

Any way, good choice man. When they come back to Europe - not until 2018, as we've heard from the interview today :( - I want to see them twice at least. More if money and time allows.

RedefineYourself
New Skin

Postby RedefineYourself » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Another interesting article from Billboard:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... rce=Direct

Love the reference to the symbolism of 8 and the mention of INNW and the time surrounding that album.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:37 pm

RockCellar Magazine Interview with Mike:

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2017/04/11/incubus-mike-einziger-interview

Now I'm really intrigued about "Make No Sound In The Digital Forest", based on what Mike says about everyone switching things up. I LOVE the snippet and can't wait to hear the full thing.

And he says he feels "Loneliest",which might be his favorite song on the album, and "State of The Art" are the stand out tracks.

I don't agree with SOTA, but we'll see with "Loneliest".
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Juan.
The Fly Guy

Postby Juan. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:30 pm

Cottonete wrote:Well, they still have not announced an argentinean date for the tour and the ticket sales for the chilean show went live today. I guess I'm going to Chile. If that's not love for a band, I don't know what it is.

Well, in 2012, I went from Colombia to Chile just to see Mogwai live. And then, in 2013, I traveled to Chicago just to see MONO. You're like, around the corner from Chile. Do it.

Jason.
The Karate Kid

Postby Jason. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:22 am

I posted this on Reddit about this interview, figured it'd just be easier to copy and paste. Sorry for the long read.

"But there are still, in 2017, people who hold onto this idea that we’re going to write this, like, prog-rock magnum opus, and I guess we’ve touched on certain elements of that at different points in our career, but we’re a rock band that connected with millions of people all over the world by writing songs that people related to somehow..."

Hey. Hi. Over here! I am one of those people! Let me tell you why, though...

Mostly because I have always used any music I write to let myself heal. And I know that no more than...the people on my facebook...will ever hear what I do, so I have free reign. They made it big doing what they do...and honest to goodness, listen to the albums! No other band that big (that I know of) changes so much with every album they put out. I will always respect them for that. They've got bigger balls than...King Kong.

I used to think that if all you did was write 3-4 minute songs (for the most part, any way) that you had pretty much sold out to the idea that songs have to be that way. A part of me still feels that way, but I'm not so harsh any more when it comes to a lot of things (music isn't worth arguing too much over). Society in general has made that the standard and who am I to try to single-handedly try to change that (I'm still trying). The one thing I have to say is that yeah, you can't force the creativity. At the same time, you can tell yourself "I am going to write a magnum opus!" And see what comes out. Mike is a musical genius. If you don't know all of the stuff he's done outside of Incubus, do yourself the favor and check it out!! So...if Mike ever decides that's what they're gonna do for an album, it will happen. It's all riding on him. I love these guys and this band and whatever they churn out, I'll give it my best ear...but if they never make a prog-rock, balls-out, conceptual, sprawling, acid-trip inducing, all-tied-together album...they will have sold themselves short by at least not trying.

Here's hoping they get this. Haha! I love you guys! Whatever you do, I'm here, enjoying! Have fun!
-Jason.

Juan.
The Fly Guy

Postby Juan. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:50 am

Jason. wrote:I posted this on Reddit about this interview, figured it'd just be easier to copy and paste. Sorry for the long read.

"But there are still, in 2017, people who hold onto this idea that we’re going to write this, like, prog-rock magnum opus, and I guess we’ve touched on certain elements of that at different points in our career, but we’re a rock band that connected with millions of people all over the world by writing songs that people related to somehow..."

Hey. Hi. Over here! I am one of those people! Let me tell you why, though...

Mostly because I have always used any music I write to let myself heal. And I know that no more than...the people on my facebook...will ever hear what I do, so I have free reign. They made it big doing what they do...and honest to goodness, listen to the albums! No other band that big (that I know of) changes so much with every album they put out. I will always respect them for that. They've got bigger balls than...King Kong.

I used to think that if all you did was write 3-4 minute songs (for the most part, any way) that you had pretty much sold out to the idea that songs have to be that way. A part of me still feels that way, but I'm not so harsh any more when it comes to a lot of things (music isn't worth arguing too much over). Society in general has made that the standard and who am I to try to single-handedly try to change that (I'm still trying). The one thing I have to say is that yeah, you can't force the creativity. At the same time, you can tell yourself "I am going to write a magnum opus!" And see what comes out. Mike is a musical genius. If you don't know all of the stuff he's done outside of Incubus, do yourself the favor and check it out!! So...if Mike ever decides that's what they're gonna do for an album, it will happen. It's all riding on him. I love these guys and this band and whatever they churn out, I'll give it my best ear...but if they never make a prog-rock, balls-out, conceptual, sprawling, acid-trip inducing, all-tied-together album...they will have sold themselves short by at least not trying.

Here's hoping they get this. Haha! I love you guys! Whatever you do, I'm here, enjoying! Have fun!

Well, you have The Odissey, which is 20+ minutes long, and you have the Look Alive soundtrack, which was pretty experimental as well. So, in a way, they've done what you're asking them to do.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:41 am

Another interview with Mike, by music radar. Gives tips to fellow guitar players, talks about the song writing process and why he's playing Teles these days..

http://www.musicradar.com/news/incubuss-mike-einziger-my-top-6-tips-for-guitarists
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Jason.
The Karate Kid

Postby Jason. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Juan. wrote:Well, you have The Odissey, which is 20+ minutes long, and you have the Look Alive soundtrack, which was pretty experimental as well. So, in a way, they've done what you're asking them to do.

Yeah, totally, man. That's where we get the idea of them doing a concept album like (for the sake of simplicity)- Tommy or Dark Side of the Moon, comes from. But that's just it- an album. "Follow" and what we called "everything in ebb"/the fourth movement had words, but that's it. Oh, man. Let's not forget how awesome Time Lapse was!

I'm sure, like most everything else, Mike came up with most of all of those things...but don't you remember how inspired Mikey talked about being when Ben joined the band? How he pushed him as a guitar player? Crow had so many great riffs and solos. The Odyssey was just the coolest and it was right after Crow! After reading the article on Mike's tips for guitar players, none of what I dream of may ever happen. And that's ok.

Brandon has teased the 'concept' thing before. We got "Quicksand" and "A Kiss to Send us Off" tied together by (pun-intended) strings, and "Earth to Bella" may be all we ever get of them having an album that has a reprise of something. Add a dash of Mars Volta to the recipe and I'd just about be satisfied. Haha! To once again shamelessly plug that I play music- I do this as much as I can with songs within an album- call back parts all over the place. I love albums. And songs. But I love an over-arcing musical idea and theme a bit more.

But, that's what I'd love to see overall, a prog-rock magnum opus. I'd still say they're capable. I can't lie- I'll be at least a little disappointed with every album that comes out that isn't that. But they have that place in my musical soul that can't be taken by anyone else. I was 13 when Make Yourself came out and it has been such a wonderful gift to grow up with their albums. Just the fact that they're all so different is something any fan of music could learn from. I'll continue to do just that.
-Jason.

Rossitron
Rogue

Postby Rossitron » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Jason. wrote:I'm sure, like most everything else, Mike came up with most of all of those things...but don't you remember how inspired Mikey talked about being when Ben joined the band? How he pushed him as a guitar player? Crow had so many great riffs and solos. The Odyssey was just the coolest and it was right after Crow! After reading the article on Mike's tips for guitar players, none of what I dream of may ever happen. And that's ok.

I'm with you man. It seems as though that as more time passes, those prog/jam moments become fewer and far between. The Crow/LG era was certainly their heyday, even for their live shows. I suppose the instrumental track on 8 is a good sign that they still enjoy experimenting though. I'm also curious how they'll perform these songs live and if they'll do any ad-libbing/jamming on them.

Return to “Incubus”