What would you like from Trust Fall (Side B)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

legohair
Hot Dancer

What would you like from Trust Fall (Side B)

Postby legohair » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 am

We've had Side A, a release that was in ways a return to form, yet also one that divided opinions spectacularly - now we wait for Side B.

So far we've heard in interviews that the new stuff is even more adventurous and as Brandon put it 'labyrinthine ' than what we've already heard, and there was a clip of an unheard song on Instagram of something new a few months back that sounded rocking. Surf from the forum mentioned that there were a lot of songs written - and that was a while back. The band are still going strong recording as they hop back and forth into the studio from touring (mentioned in a recent interview), so there must be a lot of music in there. There has even been talk of making Side B a full length album or having a Side B & C.

What would you like from the eventual Side B, and if we're lucky, Side C?

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Re: What would you like from Trust Fall (Side B)

Postby Jelger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:38 am

I really liked Trust Fall (the song) from the start. Absolution Calling grew on me. Dance Like You're Dumb hit me right away, but faded a bit since. Not a fan of Make Out Party, haven't listened to that one in a while. Overall, I thought the EP was a solid one, but there is some room for improvement.

For the second EP, I'm hoping for a bit more room in the songs I guess. I liked the energy on Side A, it reminded me of Crow in terms of energy. But on Crow, I felt the music had a little more room to breathe. I felt the Sia cover already had a bit more of that, but maybe because it is because it's a live recording.
I'm also hoping for some different lyrical-work from Brandon, all though I find it hard to express what I mean by that. I don't feel a lot of emotion in the lyrics of Side A, especially MOP and DLYD. That's not necessarily bad (DLYD is a good party track), but I'm hoping for a little more emotion on Side B(/C). And by that I don't mean lovey-dovey lyrics, I mean anything. For example: frustration with the deplorable state of the earth (such as All Ears Avow or Light Grenades.

torres
Privileged

Postby torres » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:22 am

I wouldn't mind them scrapping Side B and just writing Trust Fall the album instead. I would re-record Trust Fall and Absolution Calling (to better reflect what they sound like live), along with recording 8 new songs. Just make it a 10 song album.

If they do decide to do a Side B, I just want Brandon's lyrics to feel more relatable. Lyrics on Make Out Party and Dance Like You're Dumb were the only let down for me. I was happy with everything else on Side A.
9/30/04, 1/22/07, 8/30/07, 8/15/09, 8/18/11, 8/22/11, 8/13/15, 8/14/15, 8/29/15

surftb15
Human Magic Marker

Postby surftb15 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:49 am

torres wrote:I wouldn't mind them scrapping Side B and just writing Trust Fall the album instead. I would re-record Trust Fall and Absolution Calling (to better reflect what they sound like live), along with recording 8 new songs. Just make it a 10 song album.

I could see this happening. In fact, Mike mentioned it in an interview recently. Would people be made if an album consisted of 12 songs, but we already heard the 4?

Every album cycle, Incubus writes a lot of material. I have no doubt that they could make an album right now without much work.

We have to see how things shape up in the fall though. I don't think the side B or Album will come out till next year at this rate. The band has been touring so much, they;re gonna take a nice long break before finishing it up (whatever decision they make)

torres
Privileged

Postby torres » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:09 pm

surftb15 wrote:
torres wrote:I wouldn't mind them scrapping Side B and just writing Trust Fall the album instead. I would re-record Trust Fall and Absolution Calling (to better reflect what they sound like live), along with recording 8 new songs. Just make it a 10 song album.

I could see this happening. In fact, Mike mentioned it in an interview recently. Would people be made if an album consisted of 12 songs, but we already heard the 4?

Every album cycle, Incubus writes a lot of material. I have no doubt that they could make an album right now without much work.

We have to see how things shape up in the fall though. I don't think the side B or Album will come out till next year at this rate. The band has been touring so much, they;re gonna take a nice long break before finishing it up (whatever decision they make)

Unless two of the tracks consist of an intro, outro, or interlude, I think even 12 songs is too long for a rock album these days. 10 is the perfect number in my opinion.

I think it would be smarter marketing if they didn't include Dance Like You're Dumb and Make Out Party on the final album. Make them exclusive to Side A to give consumers a reason to own both Side A as well as whatever they release next.

Absolution Calling and Trust Fall proved themselves worthy of being live staples. That's part of why I think they should be on an album. They might end up getting lost in the shuffle if they're just exclusive to the EP.

If they release a great 1st single for the "album", they can put a sticker on the front cover of the album that says something to the extent of "Also featuring the songs Trust Fall and Absolution Calling".
9/30/04, 1/22/07, 8/30/07, 8/15/09, 8/18/11, 8/22/11, 8/13/15, 8/14/15, 8/29/15

phil collins
Privileged

Postby phil collins » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:26 pm

I just want there to be more music. I would prefer an entire album, because it doesn't make sense to me to split everything across an odd number of EP's, but I wouldn't be against it. Side A was $25-$30 for the vinyl which I thought to be rather on the pricy side.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:30 pm

It was ridiculously overpriced for a four song EP. I think that's beyond the band's control, but if they decide on another EP they should really figure that shit out.

legohair
Hot Dancer

Postby legohair » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:44 pm

I'd take an Incubus album of 20 songs if they made one. Quality over Quantity of course, but more music will always be welcome to me.

I only go back to Trust Fall Side A at the moment for the title track and for Make Out Party. I do not enjoy DLYD too much, and I prefer the live version of Absolution Calling - the way they smashed it out on the BBC show was incredible.

The EP thing does feel a little disjointed, I'm glad they are exploring the route as it did light the fire back under them to make new music together, but an album would be great in the future.

eclecticmuso12
Zeta

Postby eclecticmuso12 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:58 am

An album is definitely seeming more likely, and more manageable for the band to do than the EP route. They apparently have a lot of material.

nevermind28
Familiar

Postby nevermind28 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:19 am

Scott Litt

surftb15
Human Magic Marker

Postby surftb15 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:41 pm

Quite a bit of recording going on.
I think an end of year release Is a bit ambitious.
I do think were going to get album though and a
smaller scale tour.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:08 am

Really? That's great. I wasnt expecting new music this year anymore, even though Brandon said that something new (as a song) could drop around Christmas.

Man, I haven't been listening to the band since the tour ended, but news about Incubus always excites me.

surftb15
Human Magic Marker

Postby surftb15 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:24 am

Jelger wrote:Really? That's great. I wasnt expecting new music this year anymore, even though Brandon said that something new (as a song) could drop around Christmas.

Man, I haven't been listening to the band since the tour ended, but news about Incubus always excites me.

I haven't listed to much Incubus either , to be honest.

I do think a new single by X-mas is doable, but I wouldn't count on it right now. I think there's about 20 new songs / ideas floating around right now, and not one has made it to the cutting room yet.

The band is inspired right now, which is a good sign. I was thinking they were going to take a few months off after Vegas, but they got right back into the studio (actually the next day), which has never happened after a tour.

I do hope they hire a new social media person this round, b/c that was really lagging last tour.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:52 am

I kinda disagree. What the band did on instagram was impressive. Those collages? I've never seen those before, not like that. Sure, it could be better, but it wasn't hopeless. I think the old-fashioned publicity was lacking: interviews, reviews, whatever. Was there even a press day for a group of journalists to come in and chat with the band?

I did hear DLYD yesterday on shuffle and the live version of Trust Fall today. Still like the energy in the songs very much and hope they continue to employ that.

Marmaduke Phantasmo
Turbo Geek

Postby Marmaduke Phantasmo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:02 am

I agree with Jelger, I think he took solid photos of the tour. I saw a daily posts, maybe two. What more do ya want?
10/22/02. 8/30/07. 8/15/09. 8/5/15

Return to “Incubus”