'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Blind Melon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:36 pm

patakevkev wrote:I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Only downloadable content I got were some Jimmy Eat World songs.

Oh really? I didn't even get that. Maybe it's because I had to use the venue's preferred ticketing system (not on Ticketmaster)... guess I'll wait until the release date to see if I need to purchase the album.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:39 pm

GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto wrote:
I was sure I wasn't going to like this one but I love the chorus and the slow guitar wailing while Brandon is singing I'm not dead yet. Strangely I almost always prefer the verse in Incubus songs but for me the chorus is far better in this one (instrumentation).

This is how I feel as well. The verse lyrics to "State of The Art" are better, imho, but I like the chorus and the overall feel of "Undefeated" better.

That being said, I have a feeling both "State of The Art" and "Undefeated" will remain in the bottom 2 or 3 songs on the album for me.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

alabaster
Human Magic Marker

Postby alabaster » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:06 pm

It's not the typical sound from incubus that I like most but, I quite enjoy Undefeated, especially the chorus. Brandon sounds great.
-Larry

jbarnettuk1984
New Skin

Postby jbarnettuk1984 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I really like it - it's very accessible. The pacing of this album so far has been very enjoyable. It sounds like some of the faster/harder tracks have been left for the release and the tracks they've released (bar Nimble Bastard) are quite laid back and dreamy, which isn't a bad thing. Cannot wait to get the whole record and listen to it in it's entirety.

Roger
Hot Dancer

Postby Roger » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:21 pm

I mean...

IMO this is by the far the best collection of songs that the band has released in a long time. For me this feeling grows with each song released.

I loved "Undefeated"... Songs like this fare pretty well when compared to content like "Midnight Swim", "Black Heart Inertia", "Make Out Party", and "Dance Like You're Dumb"

Doesn't even feel like the same band tbh. Most of these songs seem awfully radio friendly at that. Wonder if they're shooting for that big smash to put them back on the mainstream map.
-Roger

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Someone on the Reddit forum described my sentiments - if this is this album's "Love Hurts", I'm totally cool with it. I like Mike's non-stop ringing throughout a big part of the song, reminds me of some of Frusciante's stuff off Californication (Emit Remmus comes to mind). Brandon sounds great, like some of the other songs so far sounds like there's some genuine pain in his voice. Very mellow and laid back song, but I dig it and think it will fit great in the context of the whole album.

Nicubus
Rogue

Postby Nicubus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Wow, did not expect so many people to like this one, I absolutely loathe it. Reminds me a lot of "The Original". Considering how many people here hate INNW and "Undefeated" sounding like it would fit right in that album I'm surprised of the positive reception.

I'm also not super keen on the Lyrics. Even though State of the Art and Glitterbomb were much better songs imo, the lyrics all seem angsty and generic.

Eh, first disappointment, we still have 7 to go who could be great. I'm not counting "When I Became A Man" as a real song.

devoiced
Turbo Geek

Postby devoiced » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:01 pm

After listening to the snippets a few weeks ago, I was sure that "undefeated" would be the weakest songsof the album for me due to it's cliché "we will survive" lyrics. And it IS the weakest track for me from the tracks that have been released.
But damn….for what it's trying to be, it's a damn good track. I can absolutely enjoy it. If this turns out to be the weakest track of this album, that's good news. Much better track then e.g. Diamonds and Coals and Promises, Promises (which where the weakest tracks of those respective albums). Pretty sure at this point, this album will their best since Crow.
18. August 2002
14. April 2004
15. March 2007
20. June 2007

Jazz
Privileged

Postby Jazz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Undefeated sounds like a Coldplay song imo.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:51 pm

Jazz wrote:Undefeated sounds like a Coldplay song imo.

I can hear that, yeah. Especially at the bridge
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

phil collins
Privileged

Postby phil collins » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:13 am

I really didn't think I would enjoy Undefeated based on the snippet....but wow...I actually really dig it. I enjoy it when Mike goes back to the atmospheric style guitar, and Brandon's voice in the chorus is really on point. Sardy really did the trick getting the most out of him. This is a case where the strain sounds really authentic, and it works well. If this is "the ballad" from the album, I'm on board.

Now, quit releasing tracks before the 21st so we can have the meat to look forward to.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:54 am

Undefeated. It's okay. I have no immediate feelings towards it whatsoever - kind of like hearing it for the first time on the radio and thinking "oh, a pop song" and moving on. I do commend Mike's guitar work here. But for all its pop/mainstream aspirations, I felt this song would be better if it was completely EDM - the uplifting middle part could easily use one of those gigantic edm drops. Which brings me to my other point - this song feels like it doesn't need to be performed by a band.

The album is looking pretty mediocre for me so far.

Look_Alive
Rogue

Postby Look_Alive » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:16 am

Just listened, mehhhhhh. It's okay, doesn't really go anywhere, though. Definitely the weakest of the songs released so far, Mike's guitar work is cool and the chorus is decent enough but there's not much more to do it. Feels a little like a song left over from INNW.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:24 am

Damn, this is definitely a lower-tier Incubus song. It doesn't really feel like Incubus, that's what disappoints me the most. When I first heard the bridge, I thought it resembled 30 Seconds the Mars, before that it could be Coldplay I guess. It's pretty aimless and while I thought the lyrics to State of the Art were good, I think these are pretty damn bad. Taking the new-factor in to account (which always make me a little less critical on new stuff), I think this song will end up in the The Original, Rebel Girls, Make Out Party-bag as worst songs the band has done.

I don't think this album will top Light Grenades for me in the end, though it still sounds more promising than If Not Now, When.

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Postby IncubusBelgium » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:19 am

Jelger wrote:Damn, this is definitely a lower-tier Incubus song. It doesn't really feel like Incubus, that's what disappoints me the most. When I first heard the bridge, I thought it resembled 30 Seconds the Mars, before that it could be Coldplay I guess. It's pretty aimless and while I thought the lyrics to State of the Art were good, I think these are pretty damn bad. Taking the new-factor in to account (which always make me a little less critical on new stuff), I think this song will end up in the The Original, Rebel Girls, Make Out Party-bag as worst songs the band has done.

I don't think this album will top Light Grenades for me in the end, though it still sounds more promising than If Not Now, When.

I know you don't want to listen to the snippets but trust me, the rest of the album sounds truly better. Undefeated is a weak song but definitely not as bad as make out party :D
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:54 am

Roger wrote:Went back and watched the lyric video of Nimble Bastard. Here you can still hear the original mix.

Am I the only one who prefers the original mix? I feel like I have a different appreciation for it now that I sort of know what to pick out while I'm listening. I think the dirtier sound is a bit more uplifting.

Probably in the minority here.

Yes, it's much better. Much much better.

Undefeated is alright, meh. This album is lacking bite so far and the change of the NB mix makes me think the rest of the album is over-sanitised.

They're releasing too much, I'd rather have the whole thing especially as I think the second half will have some of those more interesting Incubus moments akin to Are You In, Aqueuous Transmission, Here In My Room etc

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:56 am

Musically, I may prefer Make Out Party. Lyrically, definitely not.

I'm sure the rest of the album will sound better or at least part of it. But none of these songs come close to Rogues, Dig, Pendulous, Anna Molly, Kiss to Send Us Off, Quicksand or Light Grenades for me. And I like the first three songs that were released. So the rest has to be really good for this album to surpass Light Grenades.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 am

So much hate for Make Out Party. That was probably the best song off the EP (instrumentally at least).

Look_Alive
Rogue

Postby Look_Alive » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 am

Just relistened and it's a little better. I think it might work well as an album track but I'm not sure why it's a single.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Look_Alive
Rogue

Postby Look_Alive » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:30 am

tingky wrote:So much hate for Make Out Party. That was probably the best song off the EP (instrumentally at least).

Agreed. The lyrics are questionable but I love Brandon's falsetto on it, too.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Return to “Incubus”