Tool

Know a good band? Promote new bands and discuss everything music related here!

Moderators: phil collins, redonkulousemu, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421, Rich

Jazz
Privileged

Tool

Postby Jazz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:46 am

Can't wait for this show.

We'll see if Tool plays something new. They haven't released a new album since 2006.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Re: Tool

Postby Soap » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 am

Heh, when they played a handful of shows in Australia and here in New Zealand last year there was a lot of buzz about them playing some new material. But they didn't. And this was after talk of them being in the studio.
So, here we go again I suppose.

They are a great live act though, one of the best I've seen. Third Eye live is a pretty amazing experience. And seeing Primus play before them is like a mushroom/acid eater's dream.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:25 am

I never really got into Tool, but since the last time I tried I've gotten into a lot more progressive rock. Any tips on which album to start out on?

Jazz
Privileged

Postby Jazz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:56 am

Jelger wrote:I never really got into Tool, but since the last time I tried I've gotten into a lot more progressive rock. Any tips on which album to start out on?

Start with Ænima or Lateralus. My two favorites from them and also the first ones that got me into this band. They have 5 studio albums and hopefully a new one next year.

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:47 pm

I still think the whole Holy Gift reordering has a much better flow than the original track listing... their hardcore fans are nuts.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

deadair
New Skin

Postby deadair » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Jazz wrote:Can't wait for this show.
We'll see if Tool plays something new. They haven't released a new album since 2006.

Lucky bastard! I'm still waiting for my chance to see them live. Plus, you got them on the same night as Primus, which makes it 2x as epic!

I doubt they'll play a full new song live unless they announce the album before that show. Never say never though.

Jazz
Privileged

Postby Jazz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Tool is putting every band out there in a shame
https://metalinjection.net/its-just-bus ... es-history

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:32 am

Well, they have the unfair advantage of millions of Tool fans holding their breath for the last decade or so.

I do hope they get new fans with this new album instead of just reigniting the dormant ones. There are lots of deserving bands out there who would benefit from this new interest in rock.

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 pm

What did y'all think of Inoculum Fear (the song)? To me, it felt uninspired, and really just a slicing and dicing of other songs they've written.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:45 am

The new track is okay. Something I'd expect from them. It's a rather easy listen actually but it's not something I want to listen to repeatedly.

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:46 pm

The new album is okay as well... My hopes weren't high, but there were no tracks that stood out, and some of the songs seemed annoyingly long. I'm starting to think this band was a one hit wonder, with Lateralus being nearly flawless, but the rest of their albums being okay.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:43 am

Funny that since my comment a few years back, I've listened to Tool a bit and the new album too. It's not for me, especially the last album. Often I find the songs drowning in their own need for complexity or lenght, as BlindMelon pointed out. The earlier albums have some standout songs, the new album (and quite a few songs on other albums if you ask me) has standout moments at best. A riff, a fill, a lyric that's cool, but nothing to keep me engaged for the full lenght of the song.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:18 pm

I've listen to the album half a dozen times at this point. I didn't want to rush to any judgment. My honest opinion is nobody would be talking about this album if not for the 13 absence/hype. I'll be so bold to say Eat The Elephant by APC was better, even though that album was far less critically praised.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:58 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:I've listen to the album half a dozen times at this point. I didn't want to rush to any judgment. My honest opinion is nobody would be talking about this album if not for the 13 absence/hype. I'll be so bold to say Eat The Elephant by APC was better, even though that album was far less critically praised.

And after your 6 listens, it really hasn't gotten better? Lateralus took me one listen to love it, so I was rather quick to judge this one, mainly because of 10000 Days as well... I was reading that some fans were crying because it was that amazing and others claimed that they didn't want to hear anything else because this was what all music was leading to... Like a denouement of sorts. I'm a fanboy when it comes to certain bands *cough* *cough*, but I can still be fairly objective when it comes to their music.

In conclusion, Maynard is a tool and so are their fans, which gives the band even more meaning.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Blind Melon wrote:And after your 6 listens, it really hasn't gotten better? Lateralus took me one listen to love it, so I was rather quick to judge this one, mainly because of 10000 Days as well... I was reading that some fans were crying because it was that amazing and others claimed that they didn't want to hear anything else because this was what all music was leading to... Like a denouement of sorts. I'm a fanboy when it comes to certain bands *cough* *cough*, but I can still be fairly objective when it comes to their music.

In conclusion, Maynard is a tool and so are their fans, which gives the band even more meaning.

My impression is pretty much on the same level as the first time I listened to it. I try to go into any project that a band makes with as much objectivity as I can and not compare it to past projects. Too many bands get kneecapped by fans and critics to sound a certain way, to sound like the albums/songs they love. It's a natural inclination, but it's detrimental and unfair to the artist, imo. With that said, it's hard for me to do that on this project, as so much of it feels like they WANT people to compare it to past projects, as they did little to stretch outside of what they've already done, just at longer run times. It's fine to have little nods to your past here and there, but to me it sounds like they wrote this whole album with the intent of pacifying Tool fans that love Tool for sounding like Tool. They stuck to a formula that works for them and, judging but the first week album sales and the tour ticket sales, their fans have no issue with that.

Maybe it will grow on me over the years, as many albums from other bands/artists have. Right now, there's nothing on this album that I can't get on their other albums, so I feel no need to return to it any time soon.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:35 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:My impression is pretty much on the same level as the first time I listened to it. I try to go into any project that a band makes with as much objectivity as I can and not compare it to past projects. Too many bands get kneecapped by fans and critics to sound a certain way, to sound like the albums/songs they love. It's a natural inclination, but it's detrimental and unfair to the artist, imo.

I definitely agree with you, but it =does get hard when you're very passionate about a band and what they put out next isn't like what you're expecting. I definitely get both sides, but ultimately, it is very selfish for fans to expect/demand a certain sound out of an artist.

The Idler Wheel wrote:Right now, there's nothing on this album that I can't get on their other albums, so I feel no need to return to it any time soon.

And it's sad too because they seem like really smart/passionate guys, yet this is the product we get after 13 years.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 am

deleted post
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Jazz
Privileged

Postby Jazz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:07 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote: My honest opinion is nobody would be talking about this album if not for the 13 absence/hype.

Don't think so, man. Tool remained relevant even in their 13 year absence. They sold out every show they played and without playing new songs, they weren't either on streaming services. Also, the physical version of the new album was sold out everywhere on the release day. Don't think there's was another band in recent years able to do that.

And i get what everyone is saying about the new songs being similar to their past albums. I do feel the same way, but they still sound like Tool. Pneuma it's amazing.

Return to “Amp”