Mutemath

Know a good band? Promote new bands and discuss everything music related here!

Moderators: phil collins, redonkulousemu, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421, Rich

Jelger
Zedeveel

Mutemath

Postby Jelger » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Band is releasing a new album this year, after four years of no releases.

They performed their new single 'Monument' on Kimmel last night: https://youtu.be/C-7nUvhoqfI
Also did another new one, 'Used To': https://youtu.be/YHysnP95fJs

Can't say I'm really excited. This sounds so safe and the band trying not to offend anyone. Like Used To a bit better than Monument, but overall this hasn't really warmed me up.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Re: Mutemath

Postby Jelger » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:01 am

So... Vitals is out, for any one that cares.

It's ok. Not an amazing album, but a solid album for sure. I've warmed up to Monuments especially. The whole album still sounds like Mutemath, but with some more modern (mainstream) electronic elements. I am, however, ecstatic that I'll be seeing MuteMath for the first time ever in February.

BeccaWilsonxx
Familiar

Postby BeccaWilsonxx » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:25 pm

They are really great live! I saw them in 2012. You won't be disappointed. I have not listened to their new album yet. I have heard some dissapointing reviews... But, I will check it out soon.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:44 pm

The whole album is warming up to me. But I miss the drum and bass dynamic these guys are known for - which is absent in this record.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 am

I feel like I'm going to die listening to All I See.

Stratosphere is also pretty dreamy.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:15 am

I definitely warmed up to the album, I especially like the first two tracks. But yeah, the more atmospheric tracks are really good too.

Going to see them for the first time on monday. Excited about that, they're good live, right?

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:35 am

I definitely warmed up to the album, I especially like the first two tracks. But yeah, the more atmospheric tracks are really good too.

Going to see them for the first time on monday. Excited about that, they're good live, right?

Have you guys seen the video for Monument? I think it's pretty sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6i6TBT4kfg

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:01 am

I haven't seen them live, but based on their live shows / dvds, I'm confident they will bring the house down.
I even read an article about them opening for 30 Seconds to Mars (I don't listen to them) and practically overshadowing them. Ah here it is: http://www.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2010/ ... at-the-fox

Anyway, have fun at the show.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks!

I've listened to 30STM in the past, who knows why, but they seem to suck live.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 am

Just had the chance to sit down with Paul for 30 minutes to do an interview for my work. Such a nice and relaxed guy, asked me a lot of questions too. He was great.

EDIT: Wow, awesome show. So good live and the crowd was super excited to finally see them after nine years. They sold out the big room at the venue (1500 people), while they were booked for the small room (700). And they played Control! First time this tour, so glad they did.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:55 am

Nice. Care to share what you discussed?

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 am

Don't expect anything too in depth, because it is for teenagers who (most likely) have never heard about Mutemath. But it will be published next friday (12th february) and I still have to work out my tape. Will share some info!
We talked about the importance of a positive frame in their music, why and how it happened that they scrapped a whole album in 2013, what has changed since the last time they were in Amsterdam (nine years ago, including a funny anekdote about a show they did opening for The Used in London around that time) and of course the story surrounding Monument. Won't go into detail now, because I want to work out the tape first.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:51 am

So yeah, I meant to do this earlier, but had no time. What I talked about with Paul Meany:

- This was the first time for that there was positive talk of a European tour. It had been nine years since they've been here. He didn't know why they never really got good footing on European soil but was very happy with the response now.
- He recalled the last time they visited Europe and how they opened a private fan-show for The Used in London. 'And then we came on with keytars.' They were boo-ed off the stage and he said: 'I don't know whose idea that was, but it was a very bad one.' This time around they filled that same venue on their own.
- This is the first album with the new guitarist and without their previous label and management. A clean slate, but it also took it's toll on them. The band wrote a whole album by the end of 2013, but they threw that away, except for three songs (do not remember which exactly, don't have my notes with me atm, but I believe two of those were All I See and Used to). He said: 'It was the album that we made at that time, but not what we wanted to put out there. The fans wouldn't have enjoyed it, it was depressing. But those feelings needed to get out.'
- The turn around came when they did a writing marathon early 2014. They wrote a song a day for a month and wrote songs like Monument and Joy Rides. Monument was the song that gave them the feeling they were on the right path again, that they found what Paul called 'their frame of light' (=positive outlook in their songs).

Some of the key talking points. Also talked about the video for Monument, but didn't use that. Nothing you haven't already read somewhere. Paul was overall superfriendly and interested. Asked me about how I discovered the band and who was still on my 'to see'-live list.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:12 am

Completely missed your post Jelger. Seems like you guys really had a long chat. Thanks for sharing. Especially curious about the whole album they 'threw away' and started back from scratch. So I guess the new guitarist wasn't involved in the writing process of Odd Soul. That little anecdote about opening for The Used was also priceless.

I came back here to give props to Vitals. The album's completely taken over my playlist for the past couple of days. I think I've grown to love its little nuances - the less theatrical approach to the drums, the complete lack of lead guitar, the overall focus on feel and songcraft while being experimental at the same time. I think this album is definitely one of their best.

Also nearly forgot how good these guys are live. This is Lollapalooza:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njOtWxmPt84

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:08 am

Yeah, I am so glad I saw them play this year. It was my first time and they are an amazing live band.

I think I've spoken with Paul for about 30-40 minutes. It was a lot of fun, thanks for the kind words!

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:45 pm

Awesome, they have a new album out? I've completely forgotten to keep up after these guys... and I would love to hear that "depressing album."
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

SoundscapeMN
Human Magic Marker

Postby SoundscapeMN » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:04 pm

bump.

new album "Play Dead" coming out

1st single "Hit Parade"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUyLdihndc

tour:
https://twitter.com/MUTEMATH/status/874292056503590914

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:42 am

Im digging Hit Parade. With Vitals it took me a while, I had to get used to the new sounds. Really different now.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:33 am

Holy shit. After the bassist, now the drummer Darren King has left. I feel he was a vital part of the heart and soul of the band. Really curious to see where the band will go from here. Something seems wrong, but that's speculation.

SoundscapeMN
Human Magic Marker

Postby SoundscapeMN » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:39 am

yeah just seeing Paul's post.

After the album release and tour, I really wonder if they should breakup/go on a hiatus.

or possibly change their name/form a new band, even with losing many fans as a result.

Return to “Amp”