Portugal. The Man

Know a good band? Promote new bands and discuss everything music related here!

Moderators: phil collins, redonkulousemu, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421, Rich

Jelger
Zedeveel

Portugal. The Man

Postby Jelger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Original Thread.

So Portugal. The Man played a bunch of new songs during a last-minute show at the Holocene in Portland. Seems we will be getting a new album soon. Excited, because I thought Evil Friends was the best album of 2013 and Endangered Song sounded really cool.
According to a comment on setlist.fm they even announced that their new album will be titled Before/After and released soon.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/portugal- ... 7263c.html

No videos of the new songs 'Break Me Down', 'Before/After' or 'Don't Shine' though.

eclecticmuso12
Zeta

Re: Portugal. The Man

Postby eclecticmuso12 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:07 am

Never heard of them, what are they like?

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:41 am

Indie-rock, basically. They have pretty experimental stuff, especially on their first three albums. One of the best bands in recent days if you ask me. Check out their songs M80 The Wolf, People Say and Evil Friends. That will give you a pretty good overview of what they sound like.

deadair
New Skin

Postby deadair » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Portugal. The Man are definitely an underrated band! I first got into them after hearing "People Say" in 2010 on FM 102/1 (Milwaukee's alternative music station). I got their album The Satanic Satanist and really enjoyed it. After that, I kind of forgot about them until late 2013 when I heard "Purple Yellow Red and Blue" on FM 102/1. Then, I got their newest album Evil Friends, thought it was amazing, and I was hooked.

They are an amazing live band with a 1960s psychedelic vibe! I saw them co-headline with Grouplove (another band I really dig) in Milwaukee in 2014. Portugal. The Man also did cool covers of two songs I really like when I saw them: Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 (Pink Floyd) and Don't Look Back in Anger (Oasis).

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:27 am

Honestly, I was a little disappointed last time I saw them live. They had this overly relaxed attitude (poser-y) and the vocals were pretty bad. They played pretty sloppy too.
I also got into them through People Say. At the time there were friends of me who knew them from the start that slammed them for selling out, but I thought it was still pretty rad.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 am

Ok, so any one heard the new album Woodstock? I'm not too hyped about it. There are some great songs (Feel it Still especially), but a lot of let downs too. Extremely poppy at times and not much rock/experimental elements. I really like Rich Friends, though it's poppy, and I am okay with Live in the Moment (though it's a super obvious attempt at a big single and completely inoffensive) and So Young. But overall, a letdown.

I was hoping for so much more. Saw them live in may and it was fantastic. There was so much experimentation and jamming, and they rocked way more than on the record. Even opened with an instrumental Metallica cover.

Return to “Amp”