Mutemath

Know a good band? Promote new bands and discuss everything music related here!

Moderators: phil collins, redonkulousemu, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421, Rich

Jelger
Zedeveel

Re: Mutemath

Postby Jelger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:08 am

I interviewed Paul in january last year and he was truly very excited that the band finally was able to do proper shows in Europe. I can't imagine he would throw that away for a new band name.

It really is a huge shame, also because DK was a huge part of the live shows...

SoundscapeMN
Human Magic Marker

Postby SoundscapeMN » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:40 am

new album is really bloody good. The last 2 tracks are fantastic, but also super melancholy.

whole thing is streaming now https://mutemath.lnk.to/playdead

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:51 am

New album hasn't clicked with me after one listen, but neither did Hit Parade and I really like that song now.

Also, here's a little write up from their show in Utrecht last week, which I went to. Also posted this at /r/mutemath

First of all, musically the band is still hella tight. Both new members really fill their positions well. I'm sure if you took a fan not in the know about the departures to the show blindfolded, they wouldn't hear the difference.

That being said, it does feel different. That's mostly because all the charisma and energy comes from Paul, while DK used to take some of the weigth from his shoulders. Hutch is great, but not as energetic as DK. But to be honest, the most anonymous member of the bunch is Todd. My girlfriend, not a hardcore fan, remarked several times that it looked like he wasn't even having fun. Often off in his own corner, he feels more like the new guy than the other two.

Paul worked his ass off. You could really feel that he was giving something extra to make up for the lost members, running through the crowd for instance, and he usually already gives a 100%. He was unlucky with the crowd however. It was pretty unresponsive and some of the singalongs fell flat because of it. I felt bad at times for Paul and the rest of the band, because they worked really hard.

They could've made it a little easier on the crowd by changing the order of the setlist (same as in London, but no encore). The start with three new songs, the relatively unknown Changes and a vastly different version of Blood Pressure may not have been the best choice for a crowd that hasn't seen the band a dozen times already. The first moment when it really started to work was in the bassy breakdown of Break the Fever (never seen a crowd respond so well to a bass solo) and Spotlight. Reset also got a good response.

during Pixie Oaks my girl bummed me out by asking if I thought the band would exist for much longer. While its all gutfeeling and speculation, I got where she was coming from. But during Stall Out, the songs message shined and it seemed very defiant of that idea. Lifted my spirits right back up.

Edit: Just wanted to say that Hit Parade works amazing live. That song was probably the highlight for me, especially out of all the new songs.

tl;dr: great show musically, new formation/dynamic needs time, setlist order could've been better, poor crowd.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:09 am

If they ever decide to call it a day, I would like Paul to continue writing songs as a solo artist. I like the way he composes his vocal melodies.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:28 am

I think he will continue for sure, in some shape or form.

I think Roy, the bass player, is also still part of the band as recording musician. I think he only quit touring, DK is the only one fully out. He will be missed, but I think that Mutemath still can have a future.

Return to “Amp”