Videos

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Ty
Privileged

Re: Videos

Postby Ty » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Jelger wrote:Holy shit, this performance of Dig is amazing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG0SMLzkLVg

It's so funny that 10 years later it's odd to see the camera flashes of all the digital cameras.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:33 am

Another one from 2007, Ben's harmonies on Warning @ Hove Festival are pretty awesome. Starting to regret more and more that I didn't start listening to Incubus sooner (I had the chance) and went to see them in Amsterdam in 2007. They sound pretty on point. Brandon still has that smoothness to his voice that has been slowly eroding the last few years, he's sounding a bit more shrill these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3b6HuT ... Xh&index=5

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:33 am

Loneliest got the lyric video treatment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_g-5zeXGxk

stranded
The Karate Kid

Postby stranded » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Anyone got that Jimmy Kimmel live video?

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Hasn't been aired yet, they were rescheduled for next Tuesday.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon May 01, 2017 11:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLv0d3YwBfU

Never heard this version of Wish You Were Here (at Air and Style). It sounds so light an airy. Ben's bass sound is awesome in the first verse. I like it.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue May 30, 2017 3:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMCUNozFxBY

Snippet of Love in a Time of Surveillance during the Weenie Roast

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:48 am

Is this perhaps a little Skrillex wubbalubbadubdub influence seeping through? Current Sick Sad Little World-version snippet: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWcqDUVjWVT/

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Jelger wrote:Is this perhaps a little Skrillex wubbalubbadubdub influence seeping through? Current Sick Sad Little World-version snippet: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWcqDUVjWVT/

I actually kinda like that, even though the wubbalubbadubdub was a little loud in the recording... but that sorta reggae vibe that comes in that little bridge is interesting.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:29 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWwc4EVAwtB/

Clip of Make No Sound (live)

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:15 am

Jelger wrote:Is this perhaps a little Skrillex wubbalubbadubdub influence seeping through? Current Sick Sad Little World-version snippet: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWcqDUVjWVT/

God that's lame.

I am really disliking all the Skrillex influence and the whole this is what Incubus sounds like in 2017. Don't sound like a year, sound like yourselves. Incubus for me, apart from science had a timeless quality like all the great bands. That was what I liked. In retrospect, I think 8 is quite bad and I wish Skrillex had never come into the studio with them.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 am

I don't really get that. If no one would've mentioned Skrillex, no one would even have guessed that he worked with the band. You cannot hear any signature Skrillex-sound on the album. There is no dubstep, no screamo from his past, he hasn't touched an instrument for the whole record. I honestly think he is unfairly being made a scapegoat by fans who are just dissapointed with the album (which is fine, of course).

Also, I don't hear Incubus trying to sound '2017' or modern on 8 at all. Aside from Loneliest and Undefeated maybe. But besides those two songs, it doesn't cater to the popular sound o 2017 at all. If Incubus did that, they would've made Linkin Park's album (though that sounds a little dated already).

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:30 am

Yeah, I don't get the Skrillex scapegoating, either. Based on multiple interviews, he didn't dramatically change the direction of the songs, even with his production work on tracks like 'Loneliest'. The track I believe he did the most work on, 'Familiar Faces', is a great track and one of the most "Incubus sounding" tracks on the album, if there is such a thing. He did take out the pre-chrous but the band could have changed that all back if they wanted to. In the end, it was their choice. If you don't like it, I can understand.

And the by the whole 'sounds like Incubus in 2017', I don't think they meant they're trying to sound like everything on the radio right now. I think what they meant by that is 'it sounds like us and where we are as a band right now'.
Last edited by The Idler Wheel on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:02 pm

Anyone honestly hand on heart think this isn't the worst Incubus album though?

The sick sad clip aside, the difference between nimble bastard before and after is enough to tell me that the Skrillex joint work sanitised the record - there is no Incubus soul for me sadly. That's just my opinion and this is my absolute favourite band in the world

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:16 pm

I absolutely feel it's better than Fungus and INNW. So no, not the worst yet.

And when Nimble Bastard first.came out, people said it was muddy and too baren, no effects. Then a new version came out and that was too clean and had unnecessary effects. It's always something. In the end it comes down to songwriting and I think that's where the album falls short, and that's the band, not the producer.

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Jelger wrote:I absolutely feel it's better than Fungus and INNW. So no, not the worst yet.

And when Nimble Bastard first.came out, people said it was muddy and too baren, no effects. Then a new version came out and that was too clean and had unnecessary effects. It's always something. In the end it comes down to songwriting and I think that's where the album falls short, and that's the band, not the producer.

Fair points. I like INNW more. I go back to Fungus for fun more than I now listen to 8, but I suppose objectively 8 is more accomplished by far.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:25 pm

Jelger wrote:I absolutely feel it's better than Fungus and INNW. So no, not the worst yet.

Fair criticism. Brandon's best song writing, imo, was on Crow. Nothing has matched that since.

MV is the album where I feel everything (lyrics, vocals, instrumentation, album sequencing, production ect.) fell in place equally and perfectly, which is why it's still my favorite.

That album was lightning in a bottle, though. Even if Dirk was still in the band, I don't think they would have ever been able to repeat it.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm

I completely agree that they wouldn't have made another Morning View, even with Dirk. But they won't make another Crow either, even if the line up is the same. And by that I mean that I doubt they will make another album that will challenge for the top spot in my Incubus all-time favorites list.

And I agree, Graham, that 8 is not a mind-blowing effort. I do like it quite a bit, and I really like the live videos I've seen of a bunch of songs, but I think Skrillex is not to blame, and ever since the album came out I think he is just an easy target. Just like Ben was/is for people who were/are disappointed with the direction the band has taken since Morning View.

Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

Postby Dean Youngblood » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 pm

I think 8 is better than SCIENCE, INNW, and Fungus.

It might be better than LG, and at minimum is closer to LG than SCIENCE.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Dean Youngblood wrote:I think 8 is better than SCIENCE, INNW, and Fungus.

It might be better than LG, and at minimum is closer to LG than SCIENCE.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree when it comes to S.C.I.E.N.C.E., but I absolutely agree with this. Maybe because 'Pardon Me' was the first song I heard (late '99) and I didn't know about Incubus during the S.C.I.E.N.C.E era. I think it has some great songs on it, but I just don't hold it that high regard.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Return to “Incubus”