Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Results and Discussion)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Soap
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 2)

Postby Soap » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:22 am

TinCanPhone wrote:Why all the hate for Martini? It's like Matchbox20 meets Incubus....not a bad combo if you ask me! Is it because the bridge sounds like the Bridge for Rouges?

The solo is pretty much exactly the same, just at a different tempo. I actually think that's really cool; to be able to transplant a solo to a completely different song. Sublime did that kind of shit all the time.

As for Still Not a Player; I love jamming that track. I view it in the same light as their 'covers' of No Scrubs and Like a Virgin; just some light-hearted fun.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 1)

Postby Soap » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:23 am

Jelger wrote:Also, I can send you Hold Me Down later today.

Yes please!

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 1)

Postby Jelger » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:51 am

Check your DM. :)

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:56 am

Rebel Girls - embarassing

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:55 am

Voted 'Hold Me Down' again.

I'm kinda indifferent to 'Martini': don't love it, don't hate it. It does give me that Matchbox Twenty 'Disease' vibe. But that's cool.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Rebel girls .... wow

I never heard this one before. Why was it left off INNW??? It's not the best song in the world but this + surface to air would have rounded it out a little better

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 3)

Postby Jelger » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: B-sides! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself, Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When?, Trust Fall (Side A) and 8. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Martini is out! It's not ranked high on my personal list either. Maybe it's because it has the same solo as Rogues, maybe it's because I just dislike the chorus. But whatever it is, it's out. And since a lot of these b-sides don't have a live video, we can just carry on voting!

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE B-side. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Crowded Elevator
Anything
Pantomime
Monuments and Melodies
Follow
Make A Move
Neither of Us Can See
Admiration
While All The Vultures Feed
Look Alive
Punch Drunk
Black Heart Inertia
Midnight Swim
Hold Me Down
Rebel Girls
Surface To Air

Songs eliminated:
17 Martini
18 Let's Go Crazy (Prince cover)

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 4)

Postby Jelger » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: B-sides! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself, Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When?, Trust Fall (Side A) and 8. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Today we say goodbye to Rebel Girls. As with The Original, I cannot pretend I like this song. It's probably my least favorite Incubus-song ever. The intro, the way the song flows, the lyrics, the lack of any pay-off in the song. I just don't like it. I think it's a real shame the band choose to play this song on the Honda Civic tour and not another b-side. Enjoy a live version from that tour here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE B-side. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Crowded Elevator
Anything
Pantomime
Monuments and Melodies
Follow
Make A Move
Neither of Us Can See
Admiration
Look Alive
Punch Drunk
Black Heart Inertia
Midnight Swim
Hold Me Down
Surface To Air

Songs eliminated:
16 Rebel Girls
17 Martini

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 4)

Postby GrahamLAT » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Thank god for that - from the man who brought us the most beautiful song-length metaphor in recorded history with Drive to then do a song with the line "Rebel girls tearing it up"... not a good moment

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 4)

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 am

Why Is Follow doing poorly? I predict it as top 5

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: B-Sides (Round 5)

Postby Jelger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:34 am

This place is trying to... vote Hold Me Down out. And succeeded. It's an ok-song to me. Bit generic, bit bland, but entirely inoffensive. I can't get mad at it or about it. It's just ok. I understand why it wasn't on an album, but I think that the more energetic vibe might have helped If Not Now When a little.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Crowded Elevator
Anything
Pantomime
Monuments and Melodies
Follow
Make A Move
Neither of Us Can See
Admiration
Look Alive
Punch Drunk
Black Heart Inertia
Midnight Swim
Surface To Air

Songs eliminated:
15 Hold Me Down
16 Rebel Girls
17 Martini

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-Sides (Round 5)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 am

'Anything' and 'Black Heart Inertia' can both go at this point. I voted 'Anything', though.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:22 am

This if just an idea that popped in my head but we could also do Incubus Survivor: Music Videos

-TMTYL
-ACSOG
-Pardon Me
-Stellar
-Drive
-IWYWH
-NTKY
-Are You In
-Megalomaniac
-TSOM
-Anna Molly
-Dig
-Promises
-Make a Move
-Absolution Calling

Am I forgetting any?

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:28 am

TinCanPhone wrote:This if just an idea that popped in my head but we could also do Incubus Survivor: Music Videos

-TMTYL
-ACSOG
-Pardon Me
-Stellar
-Drive
-IWYWH
-NTKY
-Are You In
-Megalomaniac
-TSOM
-Anna Molly
-Dig
-Promises
-Make a Move
-Absolution Calling

Am I forgetting any?

Um..'Nimble Bastard'. LOL That's one of, if not the best video they've ever made.

They also have a video for 'Circles' . It's a performance video just like NTKY. 'Love Hurts', as well, which is just LG tour footage, really. And ''Adolescents'.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:36 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:
TinCanPhone wrote:This if just an idea that popped in my head but we could also do Incubus Survivor: Music Videos

-TMTYL
-ACSOG
-Pardon Me
-Stellar
-Drive
-IWYWH
-NTKY
-Are You In
-Megalomaniac
-TSOM
-Anna Molly
-Dig
-Promises
-Make a Move
-Absolution Calling

Am I forgetting any?

Um..'Nimble Bastard'. LOL That's one of, if not the best video they've ever made.

They also have a video for 'Circles' . It's a performance video just like NTKY. 'Love Hurts', as well, which is just LG tour footage, really. And ''Adolescents'.

Yikes I can't believe I forgot about the cat video!!! But yeah, that's more than enough material to do a survivor.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 6)

Postby Jelger » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:04 am

I don't owe anything to you, so I vote you out. The only Morning View b-side of the bunch (shame we never heard Big Kitten, Small Litter Box, that sounds interesting). A typical b-side if you ask me. It's not better than anything on Morning View. Still, it's a decent albeit a bit boring track. Not played live, but once rehearsed at HQ, with Brandon on drums. Maybe they thought about playing it on Morning View-night, just like Crowded Elevator? Check that out here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:

Crowded Elevator
Pantomime
Monuments and Melodies
Follow
Make A Move
Neither of Us Can See
Admiration
Look Alive
Punch Drunk
Black Heart Inertia
Midnight Swim
Surface To Air

Songs eliminated:
14 Anything
15 Hold Me Down
16 Rebel Girls
17 Martini

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 6)

Postby TinCanPhone » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Hopefully make a move is given the boot. The other stealth songs are way better

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 7)

Postby Jelger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 am

Make A Move is out. It seemed to be on a few people's radar from the get go, and to be honest, I didn't really know why. Sure, not the most innovative song, but energetic, with some nice lyrics (You see the apple hanging on the tree, but missed the orchard in your gaze). Another b-side that never saw a live performance.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Crowded Elevator
Pantomime
Monuments and Melodies
Follow
Neither of Us Can See
Admiration
Look Alive
Punch Drunk
Black Heart Inertia
Midnight Swim
Surface To Air

Songs eliminated:
13 Make A Move
14 Anything
15 Hold Me Down
16 Rebel Girls
17 Martini

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 7)

Postby GrahamLAT » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Laughable that BHI outperformed this one. It's pretty good and has a good video too

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 7)

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pm

NOUCS in the lead. Surprised though-- isn't there a version of this song a kickass Mike solo???

Return to “Incubus”