Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Results and Discussion)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 1)

Postby Jelger » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:48 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: B-sides! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself, Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When?, Trust Fall (Side A) and 8. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

All right, last but not least (except for a super-survivor with all the winners): B-sides! A tricky one, because which songs do you include and which not? A few questions some of you are bound to ask, answered:
Where's Bathe in my Snot, Purple Kool Aid etc.?
Answer: Those demos are 1. horrible quality-wise, so not fair to judge against studio quality recordings, 2. made before an official release by the band and 3. not widely known. So therefore: excluded.
Why not include The Odessey?
Answer: I feel the four parts of the Odessey are a different beast all together. I don't think it's fair to compare them to rock-songs and I feel that if I include those, I'd have to include all of the Look Alive Instrumentals too. And then we'd never get done with this thing. Follow is included though.
Where's the acoustic version from A Certain Shade of Green/Redefine/New Skin?
Answer: only seperate songs in this b-side round. If we start including different versions of album tracks, this list would be endless, with Piano Drive, Dub Sick Sad Little World and countless of versions of Dig with minor changes. And we could add every acoustic version of track they've ever made. Too much.
Why'd you include Let's Go Crazy and no other covers?
Answer: studio version. Simple as that. And no, Paint It Black recorded for Rennie doesn't count. Never released on an album.
Why didn't you splitt the two versions of Pantomime?
Answer: Too confusing. Just regard Pantomime as either version. If you hate the original, but love the M&M version, keep it in for the last one. Your call.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE B-side. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Crowded Elevator
Anything
Pantomime
Monuments and Melodies
Follow
Make A Move
Neither of Us Can See
Admiration
While All The Vultures Feed
Look Alive
Punch Drunk
Martini
Black Heart Inertia
Midnight Swim
Let's Go Crazy (Prince cover)
Hold Me Down
Rebel Girls
Surface To Air

Songs eliminated:
None

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 1)

Postby TinCanPhone » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:05 pm

See ya later Make a Move! This song was a super let down to me. It came out after Crow on the soundtrack for some stupid spy movie and I was ecstatic we'd be getting another "Crow" like track. The song doesn't seem like that at all to me---it's generic and safe. Thoughts?

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Make A Move is not the most exciting track on this list, but there are plenty of songs that I'd vote off before it.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Hold Me Down is an easy first choice for me.
I would vote it as the band's worst song. It's the aural version of looking at a grey wall. Plus, releasing it on that app didn't help. It was hard to get hold of and the versions out there sound awful.

p.s. If any one has a copy of it that doesn't sound shit I'd love to have it. I believe it was on the CD in the super deluxe (or box set or whatever it was) copy of Live HQ. A rip of that would be bueno, if only for the audio quality to match the rest of their b-sides.

p.p.s. I understand Surface to Air being here, but I consider it part of INNW. It comes after Tomorrow's Food on my copy and works so well as the coda to that album.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:24 am

Surface to Air is not on the standard version of the album, therefore a b-side.

Also, I can send you Hold Me Down later today.

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Familiar? Still not a player? I totally forgot about these

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Edited your post, so the whole quote of the first post doesn't dominate the thread.

But yeah, I forgot about those two too. Not going to add them now, but probably should've included those. I listened to both tracks maybe a handful times in ten years, so no wonder I forgot about them.

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Jelger wrote:I listened to both tracks maybe a handful times in ten years, so no wonder I forgot about them.

I have both of them burned on a MY CD for some reason. I wonder who among all the fans will remember any of these. I know Familiar was actually the soundtrack for the movie Spawn.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 am

'Hold Me Down' needs to go. That and 'Anything' are my least favorite on this list.
I'm rooting for a Look Alive-Crowded Elevator-Surface To Air-Punch Drunk Top 4, with Pantomime being a possible dark horse.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

legohair
Hot Dancer

Postby legohair » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:22 am

Let's Go Crazy has gone for me. Doesn't fit because it's a cover.

I hope Surface To Air wins, it's the greatest single that never was.

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:29 pm

legohair wrote:Let's Go Crazy has gone for me. Doesn't fit because it's a cover.

I hope Surface To Air wins, it's the greatest single that never was.

Me too! It could have really elevated INNW

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Surface to Air for the win indeed. Look Alive and Punch Drunk to round out the top-3.

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Surface =1
Crowded = 2
Punchdrunk =3

Look alive not a fan

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm

I need a deciding vote, damn!

Juan.
The Fly Guy

Postby Juan. » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Voted for Black Heart Inertia. It's just... not good.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 2)

Postby Jelger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:33 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: B-sides! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself, Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When?, Trust Fall (Side A) and 8. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

First one out: Let's Go Crazy! Ladies and Gentlemen, we are gathered here today to say goodbye to the only cover on this list. I'm guessing that's one of the main reasons it went out first. It's a great song, my favorite by Prince, and I think Incubus did a good job covering it. From the live videos I've seen of it, it also looks like a blast live. Not my first vote by a long shot, but now we can focus on the band's own songs. Enjoy a live version here.

And one last question I forgot to ask myself and answer: Where are Still Not A Player and Familiar? Answer: I forgot about them, sorry. Not going to include them now, but they should've been in this race.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE B-side. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Crowded Elevator
Anything
Pantomime
Monuments and Melodies
Follow
Make A Move
Neither of Us Can See
Admiration
While All The Vultures Feed
Look Alive
Punch Drunk
Martini
Black Heart Inertia
Midnight Swim
Hold Me Down
Rebel Girls
Surface To Air

Songs eliminated:
18 Let's Go Crazy (Prince cover)

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 2)

Postby TinCanPhone » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm

If Let's Go Crazy was the first to go, I'm thinking Still Not a Player would have been right behind. Although i wouldn't really call it a cover as much as a mix of Brandon's vocals and the band with Big Pun's chorus. I used to dig the song in my high school days.

I wonder how many people are familiar with the song since it came out so long ago and isn't really part of their catalogue. It came out on an MTV Jock Jams CD. They never played it live, but here's a link to the song:

https://youtu.be/WVSEPirUPB4

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 pm

I think Still Not A Player is terrible, and I think I have only managed to listen to it in full a handful of times. Could hardly ever make it past the first lines without cringing.

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 am

Why all the hate for Martini? It's like Matchbox20 meets Incubus....not a bad combo if you ask me! Is it because the bridge sounds like the Bridge for Rouges?

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:11 am

I've never really dug Martini. Chorus does not do it for me.

Return to “Incubus”