Incubus Survivor: 8 (Results and Discussion)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 1)

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:54 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: 8! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When? and Trust Fall (Side A). Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Let's go straight ahead with 8, the new album! We've all had about half a year to let it sink in, how has it aged for you guys? I think there is a lot to like about this album. Energy is back, rock is back, but the softer side is not forgotten. But is it perfect? Far from it. I've taken the liberty to save us all one round of voting and eliminate When I Became A Man right away. If any one objects, file your complaint. So, ten songs left: what will it be? With this album, I really find it hard to predict.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of 8. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at IOV Boards.

VOTE

Songs left:
No Fun
Nimble Bastard
State of the Art
Glitterbomb
Undefeated
Loneliest
Familiar Faces
Love In A Time of Surveillance
Make No Sound In The Digital Forest
Throw Out The Map

Songs eliminated:
11 When I Became A Man

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 1)

Postby TinCanPhone » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:11 am

Good call on WIBAM, although I'm viewing it more like a "secret track" than an actual song ie Jose loves Kate moss

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:32 am

I fully support skipping a round and putting 'When I Became A Man' at the bottom, as I believe it would have been the first out anyway.

I agree that this will probably be an upredictable survivor. I do have a feeling 'No Fun', 'State of The Art', 'Familar Faces', and 'Throw Out The Map' will do well due to the "Classic Incubus" vibes those tracks give off. With that said, I'm pulling for 'Love in a Time of Surveillance', 'Glitterbomb' and 'Loneliest'.

With all that being said, 'Nimble Bastard' gets my first vote. Don't get me wrong, a lot of postive things can be said about it; it's energetic, catchy and sounds pretty good live. I think of all the 10 songs to choose from, this is the one I connect with the least and skip the most on my Spotify-mainly because I think it sounds much better live than on the album.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 am

Undefeated for me. I find it cringey. I don't mind a defiant song with the 'we will overcome'-vibe, but not if it is thrown in my face like this. I think the bridge especially ruins it for. That's where the 30STM-vibes got really strong for me on first listen. There are elements that I like about the song, but I'd all like to see them in a completely different context.

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Agreed--- undefeated was the first to go for me. Not a fan of the bridge or chorus. Too safe too cliche

Nicubus
Rogue

Postby Nicubus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:33 am

Why in the world is Make No Sound at number 2 right now??

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:30 am

Yeah, don't really get that either. But people often don't see instrumentals as real songs, but as interludes. Unfair, in my opinion.

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Very surprised Make No is so high - it's the only song with good production on the whole album!

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Yeah instrumentals never last too long in these types of things. I guess it's hard for people to judge it against something with lyrics, so it gets discounted all together. It's a shame because I think MNSITDF is a real highlight on this album.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:25 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:Yeah instrumentals never last too long in these types of things. I guess it's hard for people to judge it against something with lyrics, so it gets discounted all together. It's a shame because I think MNSITDF is a real highlight on this album.

Man.... instrumentals can be awesome! Some of my favorite incubus songs (SSLW, Aqueous, Wolves) have extended instrumentals! I'd even say Make No Sound and Odyssey are way superior to other incubus tracks with actual liyrics).

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 2)

Postby Jelger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi /guys! How's everyone? Next up: 8! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When? and Trust Fall (Side A). Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Undefeated is... defeated. Sorry. It had my vote. I don't like the song, plain and simple. It's not The Original-bad, but it's bad in my opinion. I like the spacey guitar, but I'd like to hear it in a different context. But besides that: drumming? Boring. Lyrics? Boring. Bridge? Boring. But there's a lot of people who DO love it. I am just not one of them. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of 8. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
No Fun
Nimble Bastard
State of the Art
Glitterbomb
Loneliest
Familiar Faces
Throw Out The Map

Songs eliminated:
10 Undefeated
11 When I Became A Man

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 2)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Voting 'Nimble' until it's gone.
Man, people really want 'Digital Forest' gone, huh?
Wow!
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:35 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:Voting 'Nimble' until it's gone.
Wow!

Correct on both counts

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:30 pm

GrahamLAT wrote:
The Idler Wheel wrote:Voting 'Nimble' until it's gone.
Wow!

Correct on both counts

Me too!!! Hopefully I can get to more than one hot spot *wink wink*

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:17 am

Loneliest for me.

2012ac
The Karate Kid

Postby 2012ac » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:12 pm

Surveillance --verses dont do it for me, musically or lyrically, it reminds me of a song bands play at the end of their shows where they jam a generic beat over and over just to introduce the band members and and waive goodbye, itmas

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 3)

Postby Jelger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: 8! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When? and Trust Fall (Side A). Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Next out: Nimble Bastard. The lead single of the new album. I like the song. It's not the best Incubus has done, but it's a nice rocker and from the videos I've seen it's a good one live. I know a lot of people like the mix of the song (all though the first mix got a lot of hate too), but I don't mind it as much. The only thing that puts me off is the weird effect at the end of the bridge. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of 8. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
No Fun
State of the Art
Glitterbomb
Loneliest
Familiar Faces
Throw Out The Map

Songs eliminated:
9 Nimble Bastard
10 Undefeated
11 When I Became A Man

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 3)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 am

Went with 'State of The Art' this round, but it was tough. I just really love everything else.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

2012ac
The Karate Kid

Postby 2012ac » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Surveillance

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:45 am

Went with state of the Art but I can kinda see why ppl are leaning towards digital forest. The track ends a bit abruptly and it always leaves me wanting more...anyone else feel the same?

Return to “Incubus”