Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (Results and Discussion)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (Round 1)

Postby Jelger » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: If Not Now, When? For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades and If Not Now, When?. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Let's go straight ahead with Trust Fall (Side A). A quick EP to hold us over in 2015, but not completely landed the right way with parts of the fanbase. Some parts of the EP are really good, some are really bad. Let's quickly do this one, before heading to the last real album: 8.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of Trust Fall (Side A). I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Trust Fall
Make Out Party
Absolution Calling
Dance Like You're Dumb

Songs eliminated:
None yet

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (Round 1)

Postby TinCanPhone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Make out party is cool, grungy, and weird! Dance Like You're Dumb approaches diamonds and coal territory

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:18 pm

So tough! I really like this EP. It's like a photo of the band stepping over a creative divide with one foot in the past (Trust Fall, Absolution Calling) and one foot in the future (Make Out Party, Dance Like You're Dumb).

Went with Dance Like You're Dumb but I very much enjoy every song on it.

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Wonder if we will get side b anytime soon

Nicubus
Rogue

Postby Nicubus » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:35 am

I don't get the love for Dance Like You're Dumb. Sure, it's goofy, but it's fun as hell. Make Out Party has hugely grown on me, but I still need to be in the right mood for it, so that's my vote now.

Rooting for Absolution Calling, one of my top 5 Incubus songs.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (Round 2)

Postby Jelger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: If Not Now, When? For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades and If Not Now, When?. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

First one out, not entirely unexpected, is Make Out Party. Musically, there's little wrong with it. The sluggish riff is not among my favorite things the band has done, but it's ok. But the lyrics... Ooh man, did Brandon dropped the ball on this one. That being said, I actually like the chorus melody. It's also the part where the lyrics aren't completely cringy. Such a shame, because that instrumental deserved more. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of Trust Fall (Side A). I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Trust Fall
Absolution Calling
Dance Like You're Dumb

Songs eliminated:
4 Make Out Party

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Re: Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (Round 2)

Postby Jelger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 am

I guess I could just eliminate Dance Like You're Dumb and skip this round, since it's a certainty it will loose (43 vs. 10 votes combined for the other two), but for the sake of completeness I will let this round run. But expect round 3 sooner than later, because I'm sure this result will be obvious as hell.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (FINAL)

Postby Jelger » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:51 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: Trust Fall (Side A). For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades and If Not Now, When?. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

As I expected, that second round was a slaughter and Dance Like You're Dumb the victim. No less than 70% of the vote for that song. I completely understand it, because it pales (at least to me) in comparison to the other two songs. But man, I really enjoy it and do not get the hate for it by some fans. It's a bass-heavy, danceable track, with goofy lyrics. I guess that last point is what puts people off... Oh well, I still dig that song a lot, glad I got to see it live. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Trust Fall
Absolution Calling

Songs eliminated:
3 Dance Like You're Dumb
4 Make Out Party

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (FINAL)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:40 am

In my opinion:
Trust Fall> Absolution Calling live
Absolution Calling> Trust Fall studio.
I'm pulling for Trust Fall, though. Loved it from the moment I heard it..2014 KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas livestream. I remember staying up that night to watch it and going nuts waiting on an upload so I could watch it a million times to figure out the lyrics. I seriously could not figure out what the hell Brandon was saying. Good times! LOL!
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (Results and Discussion)

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:53 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: Trust Fall (Side A)! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades and If Not Now, When?. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Trust Fall wins! It was closer than the first two rounds for this EP, but still pretty obvious. This is also the first survivor where my ranking matches our collective ranking (not that hard with four songs). Trust Fall is a great song, it was everything I hoped for after INNW. Intricate guitar work, heavy-hitting parts, energy, power. It's a real real shame that it wasn't played this year, because it's a monster live. Enjoy a live version here.

The runner-up is Absolution Calling. The official single from this release, with that crazy bad video. It's a good song, with some interesting new elements for the band and it also works well live. Brandon has had some struggles with it, but I loved the transition from the 'Are you there, are you there, are you in', straight into Are You In during the live shows in 2015. Enjoy a live version here.

So let's go ahead and continue with 8! The most recent effort from the band. I'll also post these polls on the /r/incubus.

Songs eliminated:
1 Trust Fall
2 Absolution Calling
3 Dance Like You're Dumb
4 Make Out Party

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (Results and Discussion)

Postby TinCanPhone » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Love the video for absolution calling! It reminds me of beat it!

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Re: Incubus Survivor: Trust Fall (Side A) (Results and Discussion)

Postby GrahamLAT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Very said that they seem to ignore his EP love now. Trust fall in particular is top 5 incubus for me.

Return to “Incubus”