Incubus Survivor: If Not Now, When? (Results and Discussion)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: If Not Now, When? (Round 1)

Postby Jelger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: Light Grenades. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder and Light Grenades. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

So… Anyone excited for this one? If Not Now, When? I know I’m excited, mostly because this album was so poorly received among fans. It’s not my favorite either, I’ll admit, but there are quite a few things to love. Brandon shines vocally, for example (though not lyrically). And In The Company of Wolves and Adolescents are tracks that a lot of people feel love for. Adolescents is probably the closest they’ve come to the Morning View-sound since Morning View if you ask me. Other than that, there is a lot of mixed reactions to some songs. One person hates said song, the other one loves it. Either way, I find it hard to predict where this survivor will go up until the top-3 songs. Let’s see, and start with round number one!

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of If Not Now, When?. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
If Not Now, When?
Promises, Promises
Friends and Lovers
Thieves
Isadore
The Original
Defiance
In The Company of Wolves
Switchblade
Adolescents
Tomorrow’s Food

Songs eliminated:
None Yet

saua4ever
New Skin

Re: Incubus Survivor: If Not Now, When? (Round 1)

Postby saua4ever » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm really excited for this one. I really like the album (especially adolescents thieves and switchblade) and cant understand all the hate it got. looking forward how this turns out

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm so ready for this survivor. I have a feeling there will be some shockers in the rankings. Like I said in the LG discussion thread, I actually really love the back half of this album (with the exception of 'The Original'). Vocally, I thinks it has some of Brandon's best work. In some songs, however, I don't feel the lyrics or instrumentation match the strength of the vocals.

Bottom two on my list will be 'The Original' and 'Friends and Lovers'. This has been my standing for a long time. I hate saying it, though, because I think both songs could have been good, with some minor changes. I personally think the bridge on 'The Original' is fantastic. The choruses for both are just very underwhelming.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Massively underrated album. There is one dreadful song on here that I am hoping goes immediately.

If Rebel Girls was on here it would lose round one in a landslide.

hilikus_PT
Human Magic Marker

Postby hilikus_PT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Defiance

Can't believe how much forgettable this song is. Had to go to youtube to remember it.

Hope title track wins this. It's just a massive song, specially live.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:52 am

I could talk all day about this album.

Surprisingly I actually struggled with the first vote. There are so many of these songs I want to see do well here but I went with The Original. Saw it live on the album tour as the first encore song and it actually works well. The natural power the band has live kicks it up a notch and they make the bridge/breakdown/outro a lot heavier. However, on the album it sits as a beacon of wasted potential. It's like it's had all the juice sucked out it and is left as a dried up husk of a song.

In defence of three underrated songs from If Not Now, When?

-I've got big hopes for Promises Promises but I might as well piss them up a wall because it seems to be one of the most universally disliked songs of the band's entire catalogue. I think it's a great little ditty. The vocal melody is fucking fantastic and makes it such a fun song to sing along to, even if the lyrics make it a little embarrassing!
-Friends and Lovers is another one that is criminally underrated. Superbly subtle and layered instrumentation, great lyrics, and most of all; that key change towards the end of the song which so deftly switches the vibe from optimistic to fraught and perilous. Marvellous songwriting.
-Defiance is one that I will defend to the death. The guitar in it just blows my mind. It sounds like Mike took Dave Grohl's guitar playing philosophy of making it sound like a drum riff and ran with it. I can see why they kept it acoustic; it simply doesn't need percussion because the guitar provides it in spades. Easily the most Morning View-esque song guitar-wsie not actually on Morning View.

That is also my pick for the order in which they will now be eliminated.
I think In the Company of Wolves will win but I'm championing Adolescents.

And what a crying shame Surface to Air wasn't included on the album. It actually sits nicely after Tomorrow's Food and is followed by Rebel Girls plus five tracks from the Chile bootleg on my CD copy but now that I use Apple Music I can only listen to the international release which has Rebel Girls and Drive. Dumb.

I think I might turn the lights off and sit with my head between the speakers while this album plays tonight :)

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:12 am

I tend to agree on Friends and Lovers, but still it rubs me the wrong way lyrically.

The Original is my first vote, to no one's surprise. I've been pretty damn vocal about my distaste for that song. Actually is one of the reasons I don't like this album that much: it was the first time the band made songs I hated and that I thought were bad songs in a general sense, not just within the context of the band.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: If Not Now, When? (Round 2)

Postby Jelger » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:10 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: Light Grenades. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder and Light Grenades. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

First round, first one out: Friends and Lovers. A song that Brandon recently said he is very proud of. I kinda get it. For all it's cheesyness, I think it's a pretty good ode to love and friendship and how your partner can be your best friend. The instrumentation is really nice too, but I think the cheese-rate is a bit too high for my taste and for many others. For me, this is definitely not the worst song on this album. Only played four times live, so hard to find a proper live video, especially since two of those live performances were at HQ and one was in a studio. I do have the audio of the only performance at a regular show, but here is the non-HQ performance: Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of If Not Now, When?. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
If Not Now, When?
Promises, Promises
Thieves
Isadore
The Original
Defiance
In The Company of Wolves
Switchblade
Adolescents
Tomorrow’s Food

Songs eliminated:
11 Friends and Lovers

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: If Not Now, When? (Round 2)

Postby TinCanPhone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:11 am

How the hell is Defiance still on here? Should have been the first one gone IMHO. Still think "It was the batting lashes that gave you away!" is the most nauseating Incubus lyric I've ever encountered.

I like Friends and Lovers. I get a 70's singer/songwriter vibe from it.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:51 am

TinCanPhone wrote:How the hell is Defiance still on here? Should have been the first one gone IMHO. Still think "It was the batting lashes that gave you away!" is the most nauseating Incubus lyric I've ever encountered.

Meh, I find the "Baby, can I be the rabbit in your hat?" line in 'Promises, Promises' to be worse than that, but that's me.

I agree about the singer-songwriter vibe on 'Friends and Lovers'. I like the vibe and the sentiment of the song. I just can't fully connect with it, which is why I voted it off first round.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:14 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:
TinCanPhone wrote:How the hell is Defiance still on here? Should have been the first one gone IMHO. Still think "It was the batting lashes that gave you away!" is the most nauseating Incubus lyric I've ever encountered.

Meh, I find the "Baby, can I be the rabbit in your hat?" line in 'Promises, Promises' to be worse than that, but that's me.

I agree about the singer-songwriter vibe on 'Friends and Lovers'. I like the vibe and the sentiment of the song. I just can't fully connect with it, which is why I voted it off first round.

Yeah that's another bad line too!! I feel like this album is chalk full of them!

hilikus_PT
Human Magic Marker

Postby hilikus_PT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Man, can't believe F&L was the first to go. It's such a sweet simple song. Love the guitar work on it. Oh well...

Please, let Defiance die already :lol:

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:42 am

I'll be voting The Original till it's gone, but yeah Defiance is the second choice for me. So forgetable to me.

newskin421
The Karate Kid

Postby newskin421 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 am

I don't understand the distaste for Defiance on here! It's a fun, percussive, upbeat acoustic track. INNW as a whole has some pretty cringe worthy lyrics, no arguments there, but I don't see how this song is one of the worst ranking lyrical songs on the album! And to quite a few people at that.

Defiance should easily be in the top half of the album, along side Adolescents and Switchblade.

I think I might be alone in saying I never really cared for ITCOW, too dreary, slow and drawn out; too boring for my liking (similar argument to be made for INNW). Maybe ITCOW could be in the mid rankings for the album, but I'm sure it'll end up in the top 4 range sadly. :roll:

patakevkev
Zeta

Postby patakevkev » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Switchblade is by far one of the worst tracks on INNW. "Light like a feather, Bright like a dying star, Cut those together, Girl that is what you are!" CHEESE :oops:

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:38 pm

I really like 'Switchblade'. It's in my top five for this album, as I enjoy it more than most of the songs on the front end of the album.

I agree, it's not that strong lyrically, but sonically and vocally, I love it. Great energy on that track and I find the pre-chrous really catchy. I think it sounds really great live, too.

I don't mind 'Defiance', either. Great campfire-style acoustic jam. I dig it.

I also appreciate that both of these tracks are a little lighter in tone than the rest of the album.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 pm

I love how polarising this album is, so many differing opinions.

I'm sad to see Friends and Lovers go first, I think it's a great track. Some of the best lyrics on the album and arguably the best guitar work.

The Original is still the weakest track on the album for me. It actually sounds like it's running out of steam and dying in the breakdown at the end, like it just wants to be done already.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: If Not Now, When? (Round 3)

Postby Jelger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:56 am

There's an absence today of Defiance! The little acoustic intermezzo is out. A staple on the INNW-tour, but never played since. I'm not gonna lie, I think it's a pretty forgetable track. But also pretty inoffensive. I won't put it on quickly, but whenever it's on it's just there and I won't feel the immediate urge to skip it. But yeah, not a great track in my opinion. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
If Not Now, When?
Promises, Promises
Thieves
Isadore
The Original
In The Company of Wolves
Switchblade
Adolescents
Tomorrow’s Food

Songs eliminated:
10 Defiance
11 Friends and Lovers

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: If Not Now, When? (Round 3)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:01 am

Voted for 'The Original' again. Sad to see 'Defiance' go, as I think there are worse songs on the album.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

newskin421
The Karate Kid

Re: Incubus Survivor: If Not Now, When? (Round 3)

Postby newskin421 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 am

The Idler Wheel wrote:Voted for 'The Original' again. Sad to see 'Defiance' go, as I think there are worse songs on the album.

Agreed. Defiance is superior to a few of these remaining songs.

Hard to believe people actually like Promises and its still a contender. I find that to be the "worst", most cringy song on the album, and easily the worst single to be released in their whole catalog.

EDIT: I forgot about Black Heart Inertia. They're pretty close though.

Return to “Incubus”