Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Results and discussion)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 1)

Postby Jelger » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:32 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: Light Grenades. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View and A Crow Left of the Murder. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Let's move on to Light Grenades. The point for many fans where it gets easier to pick out least favorites, I think. For me it's a really special album though, because it is what got me into Incubus. I remember seeing Anna Molly on MTV2 all the time. It's the first Incubus album I truly love, so it has a special place in my heart. A lot to enjoy here, but - for some of you at least - also a lot to dislike. Let's see how this plays out in Round 1. Let's get ready to rumble!

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of Light Grenades. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Quicksand
A Kiss To Send Us Off
Dig
Anna Molly
Love Hurts
Light Grenades
Earth To Bella (Part I)
Oil & Water
Diamonds and Coals
Rogues
Paper Shoes
Pendulous Threads
Earth To Bella (Part II)

Songs eliminated:

None yet

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 2)

Postby Jelger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:17 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: Light Grenades. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View and A Crow Left of the Murder. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

One piece of coal will never turn into a diamond: Diamonds and Coal. It's the first eliminated from this Light Grenades Survivor. It's not among my favorites either, though I don't seem to dislike it as much as a some among the Incubus-fans. One thing is for sure: the band is not a fan either. The song hasn't been played in ten years and only three times in total. See it's second ever perfomance in this average live video, the only one in existence, right here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of Light Grenades. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Quicksand
A Kiss To Send Us Off
Dig
Anna Molly
Love Hurts
Light Grenades
Earth To Bella (Part I)
Oil & Water
Rogues
Paper Shoes
Pendulous Threads
Earth To Bella (Part II)

Songs eliminated:
13 Diamonds and Coal

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 2)

Postby TinCanPhone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:42 am

Hands down diamonds and coal one of the worst incubus songs ever. I cringe every time he says "I'm not calling you an animal!"

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 3)

Postby Jelger » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:37 pm

DISCLAIMER: DUE TO ME BEING ON HOLIDAY, THIS SURVIVOR IS ON HOLD TILL WEDNESDAY!

Earth To Bella, you're out. Part I, at least. I don't particularly dislike Earth To Bella (Part I), I like the fuzzy bass break down. But it's a song I easily forget. But see a fairly special live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Quicksand
A Kiss To Send Us Off
Dig
Anna Molly
Love Hurts
Light Grenades
Oil & Water
Rogues
Paper Shoes
Pendulous Threads
Earth To Bella (Part II)

Songs eliminated:
12 Earth To Bella (Part I)
13 Diamonds and Coal

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:27 am

I really don't understand the hate Diamonds and Coal gets. It's a great wee pop-rock ditty. Great beat, sweet vocal harmonies and killer bass from Benny Ken, and I really like the lead vocal melody, even if the lyrics are a bit wonky.
All in all I think it's an underrated tune from the band. Not an overt display of technical instrument mastery like some of the tracks on Light Grenades, but a perfect demonstration of their songwriting skills.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:59 am

Same, thought it's in the bottom for Light Grenades for me. But it's nowhere near as bad as Rebel Girls or The Original if you ask me. And songwriting-wise it's so much better than most of Fungus too.

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Postby IncubusBelgium » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Jelger wrote:Same, thought it's in the bottom for Light Grenades for me. But it's nowhere near as bad as Rebel Girls or The Original if you ask me. And songwriting-wise it's so much better than most of Fungus too.

...and so much better than Love Hurts.
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Jelger wrote:Same, thought it's in the bottom for Light Grenades for me. But it's nowhere near as bad as Rebel Girls or The Original if you ask me. And songwriting-wise it's so much better than most of Fungus too.

Fungus is cool , crazy and jazzy. I don't think D&C resembles any sort of creative song writing ( ie I don't see the creativity in lyrics like "love isn't perfect even diamonds start out as coal").

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 4)

Postby Jelger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 am

Aaaaand we're back. Sorry for the wait, I was visiting the beautiful island of Malta. But here we are again.

Love Hurts, especially when it's voted out. The third song to go is one of the bands biggest singles. I don't mind the song, but I recognize it's enormous cheesiness. The chorus really makes me cringe every time, especially when I'm listening to the band with someone else around. But musically, there's little wrong with the song. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:

Quicksand
A Kiss To Send Us Off
Dig
Anna Molly
Light Grenades
Oil & Water
Rogues
Paper Shoes
Pendulous Threads
Earth To Bella (Part II)

Songs eliminated:
11 Love Hurts
13 Diamonds and Coal

Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 4)

Postby Dean Youngblood » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:50 pm

I realize I'm alone out here on my "LG is underrated" island, but this is where it starts to get hard for me.

First 3 were spot on. I think ETB is a beautiful closer. I like O&W and Paper Shoes. So I voted for Light Grenades. Feels a bit rough and unfinished to me.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:22 pm

I love Light Grenades (the song) and I agree that the album as a whole is underrated. Paper Shoes is great, and I've really grown to love Oil & Water the past few years. Mainly due to the SWU Festival performance in Brazil.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Man, this one's tough. I might have to vote 'Paper Shoes', but I don't want too. I just love everything else on here, though.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 5)

Postby Jelger » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Earth to Bella (Part II) is out. It lasted only a little longer than Part I... Of the two ETB's, I think the second one is my least favorite. At least the one I know less. Not sure why, maybe because the band also hasn't played it as much (there was a time that I made playlists according to setlists). There is a nice freaky ending though, where Mike can go pretty wild live. I get why people like it, I just never pay that much attention to the ETB's. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Quicksand
A Kiss To Send Us Off
Dig
Anna Molly
Light Grenades
Oil & Water
Rogues
Paper Shoes
Pendulous Threads

Songs eliminated:
10 Earth to Bella (Part II)
11 Love Hurts
13 Diamonds and Coal

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 6)

Postby Jelger » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi /r/incubus! How's everyone? Next up: Light Grenades. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View and A Crow Left of the Murder. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Yup, it was predictable, but Oil & Water is out. Look guys, I get it. For the longest time, I thought Oil & Water was one of the weaker tracks on this record. That changed a few years back, when I saw the live performance at SWU festival in Brazil. I'm not sure why, but other live videos of the song never made me appreciate it as much as I do now. Especially the bridge feels very good on that performance. And now I enjoy the studio version a lot too. Is it top-5 on this album? Nope, but it's a song that I've really learned to appreciate. Enjoy the live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Quicksand
A Kiss To Send Us Off
Dig
Anna Molly
Light Grenades
Rogues
Paper Shoes
Pendulous Threads

Songs eliminated:
9 Oil & Water
11 Love Hurts
13 Diamonds and Coal

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 7)

Postby Jelger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:30 pm

We got about fifteen minutes to go, before this audience starts throwing tomatoes. Light Grenades is voted out and I'm not sure we can be friends anymore, IOV. I love this song, always have. Not sure if I'd put it there right now, but it has been in my top-10 at several points over the past few years. I love Brandon's lyrics, the theme of the song, the heaviness of it and the punkish speed it has. For this album, it would certainly make my top-3. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. Enjoy a very rare live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Quicksand
A Kiss To Send Us Off
Dig
Anna Molly
Rogues
Paper Shoes
Pendulous Threads

Songs eliminated:
8 Light Grenades
9 Oil & Water
11 Love Hurts
13 Diamonds and Coal

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 7)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 pm

‘Light Grenades’ out before ‘Paper Shoes’…did not see that coming. Interesting.

My vote goes to 'Paper Shoes' again. After that, I honestly don’t know what to vote off.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:28 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:‘Light Grenades’ out before ‘Paper Shoes’…did not see that coming. Interesting.

My vote goes to 'Paper Shoes' again. After that, I honestly don’t know what to vote off.

Light grenades seems...unfinished I guess. I think the song is trying to hard to be something it's not. I'm surprised paper shoes made it this far, although it is my second favorite anti-Dirk track.

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:07 pm

LG just felt like an attempt to have a heavy track on there to appease earlier Incubus fans but it just doesn't fit in this album.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:32 pm

GrahamLAT wrote:LG just felt like an attempt to have a heavy track on there to appease earlier Incubus fans but it just doesn't fit in this album.

I see your point. It's a very different energy than most of the album. It sticks out, and that can be a good and a bad thing.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Soap
Turbo Geek

Re: Incubus Survivor: Light Grenades (Round 6)

Postby Soap » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Are you going to do a Survivor "All Stars" or something after you do 8? So we can find the most popular Incubus song? That would be so tough to vote on!

Return to “Incubus”