Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Results and discussion)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Round 7)

Postby Jelger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi /r/incubus! How's everyone? Let's go ahead with Make Yourself. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

So very close round once again! Consequence lost by a hair, it was tied with Stellar for the longest time. I actually thought I had to leave the poll up for an extra day, so a decider would come in. Consequence is a cool song. Neat little riff especially. Enjoy a live versionhere.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of Make Yourself. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at IOV Boards.

VOTE

Songs left:
Privilege
Nowhere Fast
The Warmth
Stellar
Make Yourself
Clean
Pardon Me

Songs eliminated:

8 Consequence
9 Drive
10 When It Comes
11 Out From Under
12 I Miss You
13 Battlestar Scralatchtica

tingky
The Fly Guy

Re: Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Round 7)

Postby tingky » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:20 am

this is getting too hard

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Postby IncubusBelgium » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 am

Voted for Stellar.
Great hit but definitely not one of my favorite.
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm

I went with Clean. It's the same as Out From Under for me. I really like it when I hear it, but I rarely put it on seperate from the album. Do wish the band would play it though, I think a lot of fans would enjoy the return of that one.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Round 8)

Postby Jelger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Let's go ahead with Make Yourself. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

It seems these rounds will remain close calls till the end. Now Clean got the short end of the stick. For me, it's another one of those songs that I rarely put on seperately from the album, but whenever I hear it I really enjoy it. The long intro and build up, Brandon's delivery, it's a cool song. Would be a big surprise if they brought this back live on the next tour! Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of Make Yourself. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Privilege
Nowhere Fast
The Warmth
Stellar
Make Yourself
Pardon Me

Songs eliminated:
7 Clean
8 Consequence
9 Drive
10 When It Comes
11 Out From Under
12 I Miss You

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Round 9)

Postby Jelger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:21 am

Hi /r/incubus! How's everyone? Let's go ahead with Make Yourself. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Meet me in outer space, where you guys send Stellar. It's out. One of the big singles from the band, that is still somewhat of a rarity live. In four live shows, I saw it once as an unexpected and unplanned encore at Hurricane festival in Germany. The main guitar part is so cool. Very fun to play too! But alas, one song had to go, so there you go, Stellar didn't make it to the top-5. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of Make Yourself. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at IOV Boards.

VOTE

Songs left:
Privilege
Nowhere Fast
The Warmth
Make Yourself
Pardon Me

Songs eliminated:
6 Stellar
7 Clean
8 Consequence
9 Drive
10 When It Comes
11 Out From Under
12 I Miss You

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Re: Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Round 9)

Postby IncubusBelgium » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:47 am

I think the main reason why Stellar is a rarity live is because it's a really hard one to sing for Brandon in the right tune.
You can hear it in that video.
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Re: Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Round 9)

Postby Jelger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:42 am

Yeah, for sure. That's also the reason why I don't expect Absolution Calling to be a staple on future tours. He really struggled with the first verse with that one live.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (round 10)

Postby Jelger » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Your privilege is to vote and you did. Over a 100 votes and Privilege is out! One of the most hardhitting songs on the album. Not a lot to say about it, other than I enjoy it. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Nowhere Fast
The Warmth
Make Yourself
Pardon Me

Songs eliminated:
5 Privilege
6 Stellar
7 Clean
8 Consequence
9 Drive
10 When It Comes
11 Out From Under
12 I Miss You

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (round 11)

Postby Jelger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:33 am

Another very close round. I wanted to post a new one last night, but the score was tied. Over night it has been decided: Make Yourself will not make the top-3. I think this is one of the first Incubus-songs I truly loved. I thought the bridge was funny, but later I thought the deeper meaning behind the lyrics was really good. Also enjoy the riff in all it's simplicity. Shame they haven't played it properly since 2011! Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
Nowhere Fast
The Warmth
Pardon Me

Songs eliminated:
4 Make Yourself
5 Privilege
6 Stellar
7 Clean
8 Consequence
9 Drive
10 When It Comes
11 Out From Under
12 I Miss You

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (FINAL)

Postby Jelger » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am

Hi! How's everyone? Let's go ahead with Make Yourself. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Another very close round. Again, I had to wait to be able to post the next round, because of how close it was, but it has been decided: Nowhere Fast is out and doesn't make it to the final. What to say? Very cool song, the riff and the solo are great. I feel pretty blessed that I saw this live, since it's a fair rarity. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of Make Yourself. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
The Warmth
Pardon Me

Songs eliminated:
3 Nowhere Fast
4 Make Yourself
5 Privilege
6 Stellar
7 Clean
8 Consequence
9 Drive
10 When It Comes
11 Out From Under
12 I Miss You

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Results and discussion)

Postby Jelger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:37 am

Hi guys!! How's everyone? Let's go ahead with Make Yourself. For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

We're done! And the winner - this will come as no surprise: The Warmth! It's been the favorite from the start and it didn't foil under the pressure. The finale, however, was closer than I expected it to be (65 v. 50 votes). Pardon Me is a deserving #2 if you ask me. I'll always remember the version they played with the slowed intro in London '15. It's probably the favorite ever Incubus-live moment I've experienced. See it here.

As for the winner: I think this song ranks first for a lot of Incubus fans not just for Make Yourself, but overall. It's atmosphere, the lyrics, the build up near the end and the variation the band has done live over the years... It's just an all round great song. I think this is where the band really hit the sweet spot between experimental and accessible. Love thislive version, even if Brandon is a little off near the end.

So I will continue this thing with Morning View next week. Get excited for another unpredictable outcome. These survivors are also posted at /r/incubus.

Songs left:
None, we're done!

Songs eliminated:
1 The Warmth
2 Pardon Me
3 Nowhere Fast
4 Make Yourself
5 Privilege
6 Stellar
7 Clean
8 Consequence
9 Drive
10 When It Comes
11 Out From Under
12 I Miss You

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Re: Incubus survivor: Make Yourself (Results and discussion)

Postby IncubusBelgium » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:15 am

Even if The Warmth has been the favourite since the beginning of the poll, I'm surprised of the choice. The Warmth is a good one but definitely not my number one on Make Yourself.
I'm surprised too that Out from Under has been ruled out so fast, I love that song.

Can't wait to see the poll for MV, even if my prediction goes to Just a Phase as a winner.
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:56 am

MV will be exciting - here in the UK the weather is warming up and getting sunnier and I have been listening to MV non stop. I don't dislike any song on MV so goodness knows what will happen

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:52 am

I was surprised to see Make Yourself get so far. I really like the song, but I didn't think others would rate it so highly as well. I expected When it Comes to end higher.

As for MV, I'm afraid Wish You Were Here will suffer from being a single and go out early. It's absolutely one of my favorites and the ultimate Incubus-song if you ask me. It embodies the mix between soft en heavy.

Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

Postby Dean Youngblood » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 pm

The Warmth is my #1 Incubus song, happy it gets deserved respect from the fanbase.

MV may be even harder than MY. Nearly flawless album. I always used to consider Just A Phase as my #1 from MV, but haven't thought about it in years.

OregonIncubus
New Skin

Postby OregonIncubus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:15 pm

I like the results. The Warmth might be my all time favorite Incubus song and Pardon Me is one of the songs that got me into them

Return to “Incubus”