'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Jelger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:34 am

Look_Alive wrote:Just relistened and it's a little better. I think it might work well as an album track but I'm not sure why it's a single.

I wouldn't approach it as a single. The only official single so far is Nimble Bastard.

Look_Alive
Rogue

Postby Look_Alive » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:52 am

Jelger wrote:
Look_Alive wrote:Just relistened and it's a little better. I think it might work well as an album track but I'm not sure why it's a single.

I wouldn't approach it as a single. The only official single so far is Nimble Bastard.

Yeah single is probably the wrong word, it's more a strange one to release in advance.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:05 am

I get that, but if they wouldn't release this seperate from the album (the way they did now or as an official single) I wouldn't understand why to include a song like this in the first place. I find it very forgetable and unimpressive, unfortunately.

Comatose
Rogue

Postby Comatose » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:14 am

tingky wrote:So much hate for Make Out Party. That was probably the best song off the EP (instrumentally at least).

Agreed. It was the most original at least.

Roger
Hot Dancer

Postby Roger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:36 am

MOP was great instrumentally. Wish it was about something entirely different.
-Roger

legohair
Hot Dancer

Postby legohair » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Haven't been able to get on for a bit to post during this cycle, but I am really looking forward to this album.

It's taken a very unexpected turn with the Skrillex involvement for me, it was something that I hoped would never happen when it was speculated about a while back, Incubus with EDM brought in etc, but upon hearing Glitterbomb for the first time I changed my tune, and I lost my mind hearing the previews. I'm a die hard ACLOTM/LG lover, and this is what I've wanted to hear for a long time from the guys.

Trust Fall EP was too all over the place for me, I'm glad they took more time away and came back with what seems to be shaping up to be a solid album. I will reserve all judgement until the 21st April when I spin it for the first time but I am hyped to hear the back half of the album, as well as No Fun & Loneliest. I always regretted not catching the guys in Manchester on their last tour so I'll be damn sure to catch them if they hit the UK this time.

OregonIncubus
New Skin

Postby OregonIncubus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Favorite to least favorite so far

Glitterbomb
Undefeated
State of the Art
Nimble Bastard

Loving this so far and I love anything Incubus but this will be the best thing they've done since Light Grenades in my opinion

jbarnettuk1984
New Skin

Postby jbarnettuk1984 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:01 am

legohair wrote:I always regretted not catching the guys in Manchester on their last tour so I'll be damn sure to catch them if they hit the UK this time.

There are a couple of really good interviews with Brandon (one with Mike & one with Jose) floating around over the last couple of days - one is on NME, they did a live Facebook blog - and the other was with billboard.

They were asked about a UK tour and they shuffled in their seat and then answered "first quarter of 2018" - so it looks like we may be in for a wait, unfortunately.

Next time I see them, I'll be up to 14 live experiences of Incubus which isn't too bad for someone based on these shores! I'm actually tempted (if they do an arena tour) to book tickets for a couple of locations, due to the fact I can imagine the set list changing a fair bit each show and also not knowing how long it will be until they come over here again.

As for '8', I've found myself listening to 'Undefeated' loads since it was released - it's different but I really like the lyrics and rhythm/pacing of the track. I've also found myself going back to listen to Nimble Bastard loads since the (excellent) video was released - which is a great sign because up to then it was the weakest of the 4 songs released, in my humble opinion.

Another little bit of info from one of the interviews above, it seems Familiar Faces will almost certainly be a single release at some point (and Brandon wrote the lyrics about older family members who support Donald Trump, which I found quite interesting).

ajokay
Zedeveel

Postby ajokay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 am

So, we've had Nimble Bastard. I wonder when we'll get to hear another good song off the album. Or, like INNW, will that day not come?
- alex -

Look_Alive
Rogue

Postby Look_Alive » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:14 am

Anyone been watching the sort clips they've been posting with Brandon and Mike? Apparently Glitterbomb came from a recording Ben sent round to everyone.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:43 am

Yeah I saw that. Funny because it seems to be the overall favorite of the four songs (and the one that gave people the most Incubus-feeling), yet it came from the guy who is blamed for everything wrong with Incubus by part of the fan base.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:24 am

Jelger wrote:Yeah I saw that. Funny because it seems to be the overall favorite of the four songs (and the one that gave people the most Incubus-feeling), yet it came from the guy who is blamed for everything wrong with Incubus by part of the fan base.

Yep, way too much Ben-hatred out there. He's an amazing musician and does not get enough credit for what he brings to the band. It's a shame.

Also, what Mike's saying in recent interviews puts things into perspective as well. Lots of people are saying things like, "The band needs to bring back the 'Make Yourself' and 'Morning View' days". Mike remembers that they had lots of criticism when "Make Yourself" came out, too. They've never fit into one genre, and when they expanded their sound even more, people were up in arms and screamed how they had "sold out" from their S.C.I.E.N.C.E. days. Now, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is 20 years old, and the same people are complaining. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:09 am

Yeah, I thought that was an interesting passage. He has a point. Then again, I listened to Morning View today and thought: yeah, those new songs don't feel the same. But I guess I'm okay with that, I still enjoy the new stuff, but to a different extent.

This interview with Brandon from 2011, which I watched last week, also has some interesting stuff about those fans (at 6:00 min in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXIcsB0M40

Interviewer: I talk to a lot of your fans out there and sometimes they say they want first album Incubus, or second album Incubus. 'Why can't the guys go back to that', you know?
Brandon: 'Yeah, I was talking with the guys in the band about this yesterday. There's a core group of Incubus listeners that kinda started listening to us when SCIENCE came out in 1997. And they've been kind of pining for another record that sounds like SCIENCE, but I really think that they'd end up resenting us if we made another album like SCIENCE. Because that was then, you know what I mean? It's relevance and it's weight would really be discredited if we attempted to make a record we thought sounded like it. And that would really be us pandering.'

He goes on a bit about how they've been knowingly trying to change things up every album. The whole interview is pretty interesting, but this is the most interesting passage. And I think Brandon is completely right.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for the link! :)

Yeah, it's a delicate tightrope to walk, for sure. On one hand, you can appreciate that some fans love a certain album that they feel connected to, but on the other hand, you don't want to repeat yourself and lose the impact of what you created by tapping that same well over and over until it's dry.

That's kind of what I like about what I've heard on "8" so far (especially based on the snippets from the songs that haven't been released). I hear elements of their past stuff in there, but it doesn't come off like a rehashing of the past just for the sake of knowing it will make the fans happy. It sounds like a natural progression.

ETA: It's starting to sink in, you guys...8 'til 8!!
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:08 pm

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Positive review...good start!
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

pistolabus
Human Magic Marker

Postby pistolabus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:20 pm

I heard the same thing as the reviewer on Undefeated, with the Pixies coming to mind. Glad the review is positive, as I'll be interested to see how the rest of them are that'll come in...

Not that we need them, but strange that the previews aren't on U.S. iTunes yet.
5.11.02 - 7.27.03 - 6.28.04 - 6.29.04 - 1.29.07 - 8.6.07 - 8.8.07 - 8.10.07 - 8.4.09 - 8.8.09 - 9.4.11 - 9.10.11 - 9.11.11 - 5.13.12 - 5.16.12 - 8.7.15 - 8.8.15 - 7.20.17

RedefineYourself
New Skin

Postby RedefineYourself » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Great to see such a positive review of the album. There is one caveat I put on this though....if Undefeated is the reviewer's favourite track on the album, I'm reeeeeally hoping that they and I have very different tastes in Incubus sounds and styles. Not that it is a terrible song, but the best on the album?...hmmmm :shock:

redonkulousemu
Hot Dancer

Postby redonkulousemu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Look_Alive wrote:Anyone been watching the sort clips they've been posting with Brandon and Mike? Apparently Glitterbomb came from a recording Ben sent round to everyone.

Listening back to it, it totally sounds like it could be a Ben song. Particularly songs like Leave on your Makeup or something off of Distance and Comfort. Pretty cool to know there's a song whose skeleton wasn't written by Mikey/Brandon beforehand and presented to the band, which what they said they do in past interviews. Wonder if there are any other songs written by Ben or other members from the back catalog. Now I'm gonna go back and see if I can hear a difference. Kinda like how you can totally tell if it was Lennon or McCartney who wrote the song.
Incubus: 7/9/09, 10/16/10, 6/25/11, 7/1/11, 7/5/11, 8/10/11, 10/8/11, 10/15/11, 4/27/12, 5/25/12, 5/26/12, 9/8/12, 9/10/12, 12/13/14, 8/28/15, 8/29/15, 8/30/15
Ben Kenney: 10/8/11, 6/19/13, 6/22/13, 6/23/13, 7/19/14
Willie's Nerve Clinic: a shit ton of times
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14

Juan.
The Fly Guy

Postby Juan. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Jelger wrote:Yeah I saw that. Funny because it seems to be the overall favorite of the four songs (and the one that gave people the most Incubus-feeling), yet it came from the guy who is blamed for everything wrong with Incubus by part of the fan base.

Couldn't find that specific video, just the ones about Undefeated and State of The Art :(

Return to “Incubus”