'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto
Zeta

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Surprised no one has been commenting on all the snippets...I mean basically almost half of every song is now listenable. That's some crazy level of self control to not listen. State of the art is just beautiful and I feel like it's a much different Incubus than we are used to...very melancholic. Loneliest is going to be a huge hit, it's incredible...sad, beautiful, not like anything I would have expected from them. And Digital Forest is an instrumental track it seems. I was blown away by it. Overall it's clearly a much darker album in tone.

Cottonete
Hot Dancer

Postby Cottonete » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 pm

VTDave wrote:Looks like a lot of songs either changed titles or were left off (if you watched the NB video closely). I wonder if Firehouse Riff, Connect the Dots, Hovercraft, Atheder, etc. will ever see the light of day. Hopefully they don't circle back around and release a Deluxe version after some of us have already preordered.

Sure, or the well known japanese version with 1 to 3 bonus tracks.
Over the past albums we had: Crowded Elevator, Monuments and Melodies, Look Alive, Punchdrunk, Surface to Air, Rebel Girls and Hold Me Down via that way. So I guess its a safe bet to say this album will have at least 2 extra songs.
Sebastián.
Some of my work! -->CottonPhotodesign / Incubus Pics @ Buenos Aires 2013
Oct 11th 2007 / Oct 5th 2010 / Dec 14th 2013 / Sep 28th 2017

patakevkev
Zeta

Postby patakevkev » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:09 pm

GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto wrote:Surprised no one has been commenting on all the snippets...I mean basically almost half of every song is now listenable. That's some crazy level of self control to not listen. State of the art is just beautiful and I feel like it's a much different Incubus than we are used to...very melancholic. Loneliest is going to be a huge hit, it's incredible...sad, beautiful, not like anything I would have expected from them. And Digital Forest is an instrumental track it seems. I was blown away by it. Overall it's clearly a much darker album in tone.

How can we view the snippets?

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:14 pm

There have been multiple posts about the snippets...it seems they are not available in North America. I can't listen to them on iTunes or Amazon

JLynn943
The Karate Kid

Postby JLynn943 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Well, if wanting to just listen to Glitterbomb on repeat is a good sign, then I'm hyped for this album. I am completely in love with this song. There's so much going on, and it seems simultaneously crazy and perfectly measured. It's interesting the whole way through, and it rocks.
June 30, 2004 - Hershey, PA
August 8, 2007 - Philadelphia, PA
August 8, 2009 - Philadelphia, PA
September 10, 2011 - Camden, NJ
May 13, 2012 - Philadelphia, PA
May 16, 2012 - Bethlehem, PA
August 16, 2012 - Camden, NJ
July 31, 2015 - Bethlehem, PA
August 8, 2015 - Camden, NJ

Zeta

Postby GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Am using a vpn set to canada at the moment, still able to listen to all the snippets (which are more like half a song). Kind of strange to release so much of the songs, they are a good minute or minute and a half each. I'm really struck by how emotional some of the songs are..Haven't heard that depth of emotion since MV days. And No Fun is not at all like I was expecting, it takes a sudden left turn from upbeat to dark and moody...

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Cross post from other thread... sorry, but it belongs here.

First impressions of the snippets... this album is weird, but I think it's going to be amazing... there's also a lot going on in a lot of these songs. And "When I Became a Man" made me laugh out loud... it almost reminds me of something the Beatles or Zeppelin would do, but um, more satirical or something.

Also, Throw Out the Map is this snippet, but I'm hoping this and that other (can't find it right now... sounded a little like Zeppelin... FOUND IT) are also somewhere on this album.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:47 pm

VTDave wrote:Looks like a lot of songs either changed titles or were left off (if you watched the NB video closely). I wonder if Firehouse Riff, Connect the Dots, Hovercraft, Atheder, etc. will ever see the light of day. Hopefully they don't circle back around and release a Deluxe version after some of us have already preordered.

Firehouse riff sounded like a working title anyway.

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:07 pm

While I agree with that, one of their Instagram posts the other day literally said "10) Firehouse Riff"

Juan.
The Fly Guy

Postby Juan. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:10 pm

x-post from the 'News and Updates' thread

[Re: About the snippets]

This definitely reminds of the first time I listened to Crow (which is my favorite album from the band, by the way). I thought it was really unexpected and weird. I didn't know what to make of it. Honestly, Incubus have always surprised me with their ability to do something different with every album they put out. Even if I like the result or not, it's some that I'll never stop admiring.

All I can say is that the album doesn't feel as dark as some of you are saying — for me, it sounds quite upbeat, actually. Mike wasn't wrong when he said Nimble Bastard was representative of the energy of the whole thing. Anyway, April 21st can't come soon enough! I can't wait to hear 8 in its entirety and fully form an opinion on the new songs.

P. S. Make No Sound in the Digital Forest and Throw It Out of the Map are the ones I'm anticipating the most.
Last edited by Juan. on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azIthinkIiz
The Karate Kid

Postby azIthinkIiz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm going to try as I might to not listen to the snippets. Gonna wait it out a month. Have really been digging the new mix of Nimble Bastard and Glitterbomb though.

My only complaint is the weird sample/scratching that goes over the solo guitar in Nimble Bastard. It was there before but they brought it up in the mix a good amount. The sound is just kinda distracting and isn't aesthetically pleasing to me.

Listening to Glitterbomb for the umpteenth time right now. Really really enjoy this one. It's gonna be amazing live! I can see them doing an extended jam like they did/do for SSLW.

Kim Crapshoot
New Skin

Postby Kim Crapshoot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Ive never minded listening to snippets of songs a few times, cause it adds some hype to what songs you are most excited to hear when the full thing is out. It doesn't spoil it for me.

I don't like overplaying 1 or 2 of the songs so when i get the album i want to skip over those tracks. Luckily the original mix of NB sounded to obnoxious to overplay anyway. haha

SinkBeneath
Hot Dancer

Postby SinkBeneath » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 pm

I love glitterbomb!!!
you should always carry napkins with you

9/2/15, 8/30/15, 8/29/15, 8/28/15, 9/10/12, 4/27/12, 10/15/11, 10/13/11, 10/7/11, 7/15/11, 7/5/11, 10/16/10, 7/13/09, 7/10/09, 7/9/09, 6/22/09, 9/8/07, 9/7/07, 7/12/07, 7/11/7, 7/10/07, 2/13/07, 7/11/07, 9/5/04, 8/18/04, 8/16/03
Mike: 11/21/09_/8/23/2008

SmokinTheHerbAgain
Zeta

Postby SmokinTheHerbAgain » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Can someone record this previews for us poor Americans??

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:44 am

Just heard the Snippets and I'm really REALLY hyped for 8.

On a personal level, this is the Incubus album I've been wanting for a very long time. I felt like Incubus was headed in a downward spiral after Trustfall was released. Hearing the previews of 8 has turned my opinion around quickly. In fact, I'd have to say 8 is either the 2017 version of Morning View or a perfected version of INNW. There is so much ambience in every track and the production quality is top notch.

Here are my takes the most memorable tracks. Even though every song is unique, I like to compare them to prior Incubus tracks just for reference. I've also rated every track out of 5 stars. I know it's only half the song but this is what I could tell so far.

*SPOILER WARNING*

No Fun (4.5 Stars): Lovechild of Anna-Molly, Privilege, and Adolescents. The overall fun and pitch variation of the verses reminds me of Anna-Molly but the grungy, rock chorus kicks in and I immediately think of Privilege. The remainder of the snippet veers off into what sounds like the bridge, with Brandon echoing and Kilmore sound effects that reminds me of the bridge in Adolescents. I'd totally want to hear this song again :D

When I Became a Man (1 star): This track might be some kind of joke. Brandon talks about someone giving him a shower....golden shower?

Loneliest (4.5 Stars): Lovechild of Here in My Room and Dig. Best way to describe the song is DARK. The lyrics and overall mood remind me of Here in my Room, but the chorus kicks in with a lot of energy (especially the guitar riff in the background) and I'm thinking Dig. This might be the track Chino Moreno is on, but you don't get to here it in the snippet.

Love in a Time of Surveillance (5 Stars): Lovechild of Zee Deevel and Make Out Party. The chorus sounds very 90s grunge (think Alice in Chains) and slow like Make Out Party. The verses are Brandon asking patronizing questions, which is why it reminded me of Zee Deevel. I'll give my # to whoever wrote this song :D Incubus has NEVER written a song like this before. Probably my personal favorite.

Make No Sound in the Digital Forest (4.5 Stars): Lovechild of Aqueous Transmission and In the Company of Wolves. The snippet we hear has no vocals, but good lord it is good. Kilmore has so much going on in the background you'd probably need to replay it to catch it all.

Throw Out the Map (4 Stars): ..."The World is a Drought When Out of Love" part of SSLW sounds like the verses in this song. That's pretty cool, but I'm not really feeling the chorus too much.

The other songs are good, but they haven't really stuck with me yet. Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to this album.

redonkulousemu
Hot Dancer

Postby redonkulousemu » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 am

Just listening to the new mix of NB finally on decent speakers, and holy shit, that bass drum is way too loud. It's a little too punchy. It's fighting with Brandon's voice for attention and you can barely hear the rest of Jose. Besides that, I like it a lot. Hearing Kil a little better does help. Kinda missing the guitar chugs on the downbeats of the verse, but overall, I think it's an improvement, and the track "pops" more now.

I'm loving Glitter Bomb. It's all over the place musically in the best possible way, it's exciting and throws you for a loop how up and down it goes in mood. I'm excited, 4/21 can't come soon enough.
Incubus: 7/9/09, 10/16/10, 6/25/11, 7/1/11, 7/5/11, 8/10/11, 10/8/11, 10/15/11, 4/27/12, 5/25/12, 5/26/12, 9/8/12, 9/10/12, 12/13/14, 8/28/15, 8/29/15, 8/30/15
Ben Kenney: 10/8/11, 6/19/13, 6/22/13, 6/23/13, 7/19/14
Willie's Nerve Clinic: a shit ton of times
Chris Kilmore: 9/9/12, 6/22/13, 2/12/14
Brandon Boyd: 2/12/14

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 am

I'm loving the clips. Most excited for Familiar Faces, State of the Art, Lonliest, and No Fun. This album will be pretty dark and has huge potential IMO.

MidnightToker
Zeta

Postby MidnightToker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:50 am

EDIT: Nevermind, found the clips

minorThing
New Skin

Far Out

Postby minorThing » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Wow, I haven't been this excited since the Crow days. These snippets are not what I expected and not a logical progression from Trust Fall or INNW. Upon the first couple listens through each one, it really made me feel like when Morning View and Crow came out and no one expected those albums to sound like they did. I agree with everyone in that it's a darker vibe. It's almost a split for me between MV/Crow in that it has the bitterness/angst of Crow and a lot of the quiet, passionate aggression of Morning View.

They were right, too. This album rocks. For whatever reason, I'm surprisingly most excited about No Fun. That track is gonna be a KILLER opener and it's so catchy. Loving Throw Out the Map, it's got a weird melody to it that's very Incubus-y. Love in the time of Surveillance straight up reminds of a Crow track, like Zee Deveel, as one person mentioned above. Digital Forest i'm very eager to hear the full length on as it's got as least 1.5 minutes of almost electronic/ambient mixed with rock vibe to it. Loneliest has got a GREAT vibe, very Morning View like to me. Not so keen on State of the Art, Undefeated and Familiar Faces yet, pry because we haven't heard the full thing (I shouldn't have listened to these spoilers; the last two times I did that it jinxed the record for me with LG and INNW! lol)

Overall, breath of fresh air for them.

Zeta

Postby GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:43 am

https://clizbeats.com/incubus-goes-live ... lbum-1056/

According to this article State of the Art becomes an "instant grat" track on March 31st followed by Undefeated on April 7th. Can't wait to hear the rest of State of the Art-I can definitely see this one being a single at some point.

Return to “Incubus”