'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:18 am

GrahamLAT wrote:Little game I came up with when board - match 8 songs to other Incubus albums if you had to. Full albums from Fungus onwards, no Enjoy or Trust Fall.

Disclaimer - some fit direct, some are awful approximations!

No Fun - Science
Nimble bastard - Science
State of the art - INNW
Glitterbomb - Light Grenades
Undefeated - INNW
Loneliest - INNW
WIBAM - Fungus
Familiar Faces - Light Grenades
Love in a time of surveillance - Crow
Make no sound - Crow
Throw out the map - Make Yourself

Ooh, fun! Okay...

'No Fun'- Make Yourself (that ending is very S.C.I.E.N.C.E-like, though!)
'Nimble Bastard'- Make Yourself
'State of The Art'- LG
'Glitterbomb'- Crow
'Undefeated'- LG
'Loneliest'- INNW
'WIBAM'- Fungus
'Familiar Faces'- LG
'Love In A Time Of Surveillance'- Crow
'Make No Sound In The Digital Forest'- Crow
'Throw Out The Map'- Morning View
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 am

https://headlineplanet.com/home/2017/04 ... board-200/

#2 in sales in the US, top-4 expected on Billboard charts. Honestly not bad, seeing they had a six year break from albums and bad reviews.

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:58 am

Jason. wrote:
jmsgrx wrote:I've posted this before, but I really hope this song is on Side B in some form or another. Reminds me of Priceless. https://www.instagram.com/p/x8DiKWIL9H/ ... iger&hl=en

Finally! I've been racking my brain trying to think back to what all they posted while we thought side b was being worked on. Did you dig anything else up, friend?

It's possible they were just messing around here, but I don't think we got this one either?
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:25 am

https://twitter.com/DannyMcElhinney/sta ... 7484585985

Pretty positive three star review. 'Perhaps the most surprisingly enjoyable album I heard this week.'

Just heard Trust Fall and Absolution Calling for the first time in a while. Those two would've been the best songs on the album if they would've been on 8.

hilikus_PT
Human Magic Marker

Postby hilikus_PT » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 am

I've been listening to 'Undefeated' a lot lately to try to figure out what's keeping it (to me) from being an absolute epic, classic massive hit. I think the "problem" is the band played it safe with a simple song structure.

I can absolutely imagine this song ending with an extended climax bridge in a Sigur Rós instrumental-only explosion style. Instead of going back again to chorus.

That 'Loneliest' lyric video is really awful. Was looking forward to share that song with a lyric video but it just ruins the song for me.

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:15 pm

hilikus_PT wrote:I've been listening to 'Undefeated' a lot lately to try to figure out what's keeping it (to me) from being an absolute epic, classic massive hit. I think the "problem" is the band played it safe with a simple song structure.

I can absolutely imagine this song ending with an extended climax bridge in a Sigur Rós instrumental-only explosion style. Instead of going back again to chorus.

I'm absolutely in love with Undefeated right now, but I can definitely see what you're saying... as a listener, you're really waiting for that bridge to bust into some sort of solo or instrumental.

On a side note, Brandon sounds so good on this album... lyrically and vocally.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:29 pm

I would have loved a more energetic final chorus with some heavier guitar. The bridge has such a huge build-up and then just dies back into a chorus consistent with the first two. That being said, I am happy with the song overall.

A few more observations as I've listened to it straight through a bunch of times now:

-State of the Art and Love In A Time of Surveillance have my favorite lyrics on the album and possibly some of my favorite lyrics Brandon has ever written. State of the Art seems to be hit or miss around here....I think those of us sort of aging with the band and feeling some of the same struggles with growing older appreciate it more than the casual listener or those not necessarily bothered by this dynamic.

-I still think the album flows well overall, but think that Make No Sound would have also made a killer opener and led in nicely to No Fun. I think it would have been cool to have that as the lead off song and WIBAM as a hidden track at the end, then you get 9 kickass songs from No Fun to Throw Out the Map that really take you for a ride in the middle.

-I still think the album would have been better received if a) it had one or two more songs, and/or b) they didn't release so many songs prior to the full album release date. As many have said, it was really hard not to overplay the hell out of those songs while we had them and made my first couple of listens a little less exciting than I otherwise would have been with a fresh set of 10 songs in addition to Nimble Bastard.

hilikus_PT
Human Magic Marker

Postby hilikus_PT » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:07 pm

VTDave wrote:State of the Art seems to be hit or miss around here....I think those of us sort of aging with the band and feeling some of the same struggles with growing older appreciate it more than the casual listener or those not necessarily bothered by this dynamic.

This is why I love State of The Art. Its lyrics just hits the right spots

GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto
Zeta

Postby GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:37 pm

My biggest question right now is why would 8 be ranked basically the worst album of the year on Metacritic? It makes absolutely no sense. I mean I guess even though I love this album I can understand that not everyone shares the same taste in music. But practically every other album is in the green zone and then there is 8 which really is the Loneliest album, practically all alone in the yellow low rating zone.

Do you think there is some kind of irrational hatred of Incubus or some aspect that the band represents which sets it apart from other music? How can people listen to tracks like Make No Sound in the Digital Forest, Familiar Faces, Glitterbomb, or State of the Art and then say how boring or mediocre this band is? There is no other band that can write tracks with this level of artistry.

My guess is that the band takes a strange kind of pride in the absurdly low reviews knowing that something strange is going on beneath the surface when on a site like Metacritic nearly every album is ranked green except them. That right there is f***ing art which is ahead of its time and misunderstood.

incuboy2012ad
The Karate Kid

Postby incuboy2012ad » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:28 pm

Nicubus
Rogue

Postby Nicubus » Mon May 01, 2017 12:08 am

Uhm... so they just released a video for Make No Sound In The Digital Forest. As a "Lyric Video".
... do they don't know what lyric video means?

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Mon May 01, 2017 12:25 am

Weird....wish they would have removed the font/writing....would have been a cool laser-Floyd-esque type of video.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon May 01, 2017 6:17 am

incuboy2012ad
The Karate Kid

Postby incuboy2012ad » Mon May 01, 2017 7:46 am

LMAO. Needed that on a Monday morning.

Zincubus
The Karate Kid

Postby Zincubus » Mon May 01, 2017 8:05 am

So what's the relevance ?

Is it just some random guy or some famous dude I've never heard of ?!

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon May 01, 2017 8:07 am

It's a joke, there is no relevance. Look at it like getting an email from a Nigerian prince when you sell something online.

Zincubus
The Karate Kid

Postby Zincubus » Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 am

Jelger wrote:It's a joke, there is no relevance. Look at it like getting an email from a Nigerian prince when you sell something online.

Ah ...

I'm Aspergers and sometimes miss the obvious :)

Thanks !

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 am

Ah, ok! Just think of it like you or me tweeting to NASA, saying that we can help them get to Mars ;)

Zincubus
The Karate Kid

Postby Zincubus » Mon May 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Jelger wrote:Ah, ok! Just think of it like you or me tweeting to NASA, saying that we can help them get to Mars ;)

........ I wondered if he was some big time rapper or producer or something :)

f
The Karate Kid

Postby f » Mon May 01, 2017 3:38 pm

after about 10 listens, this album has really grown on me. i would put it above innw.

nimble bastard - i enjoy the lyric video version.
undefeated - its a really good song.
glitterbomb - has definitely grown on me. that break down at the end is fire.
loneliest - still epic
when i became a man - doesnt exist to me. removed it from the album entirely.
familiar faces - so good. that end part when brandon sings 'how many times before we get it, right.' is fire.
surveillance - can hear mike getting his ratm tom on.
forest - still epic. love incubus songs with that vibe. ex. soft sculpture, 4th movement, etc.
throw out the map - great ending to the album.

Return to “Incubus”