'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Dean Youngblood » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Cottonete wrote:Is it just me or Loneliest is like the Incubus' take of Faith No More's Stripsearch?

Can definitely hear this

alabaster
Human Magic Marker

Postby alabaster » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:24 pm

I replaced state of the art and no fun with absolution calling and trust fall. Wow, what a better listen!
-Larry

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:22 am

Another harsh review: https://www.theyoungfolks.com/review/10 ... incubus-8/ (3.5/10)

And a positive one (in German): http://www.nw.de/kultur_und_freizeit/mu ... -vorn.html (no rating)

And a fairly positive one (in Dutch): http://www.nieuweplaat.nl/album/incubus-8/# (7/10)

And another negative one: https://thesoundboardreviews.com/2017/0 ... y-incubus/ (4/10)

I get that this album isn't the most innovative, most creative one, but a 3.5/10? That seems way to harsh to me.

Roger
Hot Dancer

Postby Roger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 am

-Roger

SinkBeneath
Hot Dancer

Postby SinkBeneath » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:38 am

Jelger wrote:Completely agree that LG is underrated, there are three below average tracks on that album (D&C and ETB's), but I like everything else.

Also, I don't hate/dislike Familiar Faces. Today it's chorus has been stuck in my head. I just feel it could've been more. And that's maybe the overall feeling of this record. Not the unrealistic kind of feeling that it could've been the next MV/Crow, but just the feeling that there's more than this left in the tank. Which could be seen as encouraging for the next record, I guess.

I wasn't blown away by Glitterbomb when it was released, especially don't get the Crow-vibes some people have been talking about.

My ranking so far:

1. Throw Out the Map
2. Love in a Time Of Surveillance
3. No Fun
4. Make No Sound in the Digital Forest
5. State of the Art
6. Glitterbomb
7. Nimble Bastard
8. Familiar Faces
9. Loneliest
10. Undefeated
11. When I Became A Man

My overall feeling on the record is that it seems like the starting point to a potentially great record. I agree that it could have been more ... a lot more.

I'm not sure what it is or what to call it. But having skillrex come in the last minute and change everything (if NB is any indication then it's a big change) just illustrates the seemingly haphazard process this album was (I know that's a lot of conjecture on my part but the whole trust fall b into an album then being completely remixed last second makes me think that). maybe it was time to sit on this one for a while longer.
you should always carry napkins with you

9/2/15, 8/30/15, 8/29/15, 8/28/15, 9/10/12, 4/27/12, 10/15/11, 10/13/11, 10/7/11, 7/15/11, 7/5/11, 10/16/10, 7/13/09, 7/10/09, 7/9/09, 6/22/09, 9/8/07, 9/7/07, 7/12/07, 7/11/7, 7/10/07, 2/13/07, 7/11/07, 9/5/04, 8/18/04, 8/16/03
Mike: 11/21/09_/8/23/2008

azzman
Turbo Geek

Postby azzman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm

SinkBeneath wrote:I'm not sure what it is or what to call it. But having skillrex come in the last minute and change everything (if NB is any indication then it's a big change) just illustrates the seemingly haphazard process this album was (I know that's a lot of conjecture on my part but the whole trust fall b into an album then being completely remixed last second makes me think that). maybe it was time to sit on this one for a while longer.

But let's also be careful not to haphazardly evaluate this album. I think it's a grower. I actually got an advance copy of the record last month (I work in media) and I can definitely say I'm more in love with this album now than I was back when I first heard it. No, it's not an in-your-face-turn-it-to-11 monster of a rock record, but there are some really beautiful melodies and textures here. It's more subtle, refined songwriting; these guys are 40 now, after all! They're not hyper, dreadlocked, shroom-tripping teenagers anymore. But these songs come from a sincere place. And after a while, they burrow into your brain and never let go. I'm telling you, sit on this one for a while longer!
Last edited by Jelger on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm

"They're not hyper, dreadlocked, shroom-tripping teenagers anymore. "

I don't think that's the central point to the main criticism to this album from fans and reviews. It's that it's rather safe. No colouring outside the lines or even some surprising colours. Now, I don't fully agree with that either (I think the Audioslave/Soundgarden-ish riff in Surveillance is entirely new to Incubus), but that's not something that has to do with being a shroom-tripping dreadlocked teenager.

I do have a feeling that Incubus gets rated pretty harshly when compared to some of their peers. If I see that Foo Fighters' Wasting Light was rated a 78 on Metacritic and Soundgarden's King Animal a 70, compared to Incubus' 48 for '8', it seems unfair. Foo's and Soundgarden also did nothing new or innovative on those records, which is what Incubus' seems to be criticized most for in these reviews.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Jelger wrote:I do have a feeling that Incubus gets rated pretty harshly when compared to some of their peers. If I see that Foo Fighters' Wasting Light was rated a 78 on Metacritic and Soundgarden's King Animal a 70, compared to Incubus' 48 for '8', it seems unfair. Foo's and Soundgarden also did nothing new or innovative on those records, which is what Incubus' seems to be criticized most for in these reviews.

I'm starting to get this feeling as well. It feels like they are being measured by a different measuring stick, but I'm not sure why.

ETA-

Sonicnet
"Inevitably, all the shifts in tempo, mood and lyrical slant ultimately hurt more than they help."

Alternative Press
"There is very little here that makes any sort of meaningful connection."

Village Voice (Consumer Guide)
"Mediocre pop songs with pretensions."

New Musical Express (NME)
"Incubus sell themselves as an Intelligent and Sensitive rock band, without actually appearing especially intelligent or sensitive."

And these critics were talking about Morning View, ladies and gentlemen. MORNING VIEW!!

This just pisses me off all over again.
Last edited by The Idler Wheel on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

patakevkev
Zeta

Postby patakevkev » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 pm

The issue is that there has always been a substantial difference in sound between incubus albums. FA to SCIENCE saw a change from funk to nu-metal, SCIENCE to MY was a pretty drastic change in sound, MY to MV probably saw the least change, MV and ACLOTM were totally different, LG was a pop rock album compared to ACLOTM, INNW made LG seem like a hard rock album, and 8 follows the same trend.

You obviously want a band to experiment and innovate, but play incubus's discography to someone unfamiliar with them and they could very well think they are listening to completely different bands. Incubus throws us curve balls with their music and that's part of the reason why I love them, but I can see why they get criticized so much. Incubus transcends various genres. A shroom-tripping stoner might love FA but hate SCIENCE, and an indie hipster might dig INNW but despise ACLOTM.

Mike talks about how people have always criticized incubus, but what do you expect when each album can arguably bring in new/different fan base?

stranded
The Karate Kid

Postby stranded » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:20 pm

I can't really understand why are you guys even reading those reviews - or maybe lets put it differently - why do you care about what they say?

Honestly, I'd rather your reviews here (you are all fans some way or another right?) than some random guy who gets paid for it. One of those bad ones here (forgot the name) has been written by a 23 year old "critic". Come on.

This album really does sound more Incubus than everything we've had for the last few years. I appreciate it but don't really love all of those songs.

It is good but lets be honest with each other it won't be like the first few albums where you just discover the band etc. someone mentioned Foo Fighters here and their every record is somewhat similar, they have catchy songs and worse songs too but it's still fucking good.

Incubus still sounds good but I miss the funk, Familiar Faces sounds groovy as fuck.

By the way I think that No Fun riff sounds a bit like AAF's SS Recognize:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehAPG3KQwjY

And Throw Out The Map is clearly RATM sound.

Which is good! Sounds 00's.
Cheers guys, it's a good record.
Last edited by stranded on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:36 pm

You're right if you're saying that reading reviews shouldn't factor into OUR enjoyment of the record. Speaking for myself, that's not the case. I am however very interested in how it is received, both within the fanbase and outside it. It's purely interest from my side. As for my own opinion of the record, that doesn't change because of what these people are saying.

EDIT: For those interested in more reviews, here's another one. And while it's positive (8/10), it's the absolute worst written review I've read. The title is 'Incubus gets softer in 8' for starters, that should tell you plenty. http://www.immortalreviews.com/home/201 ... ofter-in-8

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:38 pm

stranded wrote:I can't really understand why are you guys even reading those reviews - or maybe lets put it differently - why do you care about what they say.

I get what you're saying. It's all matter of opinion and it's not really important in the grand scheme of things. What matters is that the band created something they are proud of and seem energized by. If critics don't like it, so be it.

And yes, I really love the bassline in 'Familiar Faces' as well. You can tell they are channeling The Police on that tune, and it sounds great.

That reminds me...I still need to finish my song by song review.

I'll be back. LOL!!
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

HAM
The Fly Guy

Postby HAM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Has anyone received their album from the Live Nation order yet???

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Okay. I took some time and listened to the album straight through one more time to put my final thoughts together for my song by song review. Here we go..

'No Fun'- Fantastic opener. This is definitely one of my favorites off the album. Huge mistake not having this one be lead single. From the moment it kicks in, you know..this is NOT going to be INN,W? Part II. Great energy! I also like the subject matter of breaking the habits of youth. Modern-day Brandon is having a converstion with his younger self , saying he doesn't want keep repeating the same life patterns. ("You're a song I never want to hear again"). It's like a callback to 'Priviledge', with a bridge that reminds me of 'Adolescents' (how appropriate! ) without being a total retread. And when the music drops after the bridge, and you just hear Brandon belting the hell out of the chorus..WOW! Can't wait to hear this one live. 10/10

'Nimble Bastard'- I've commented on this one previously. I liked (didn't really love) the original single version. I understand the original was far from perfect, but I hate what they did to Mike and Jose's part on the new mix- especially Jose's. The kick is heavy, with nothing to balance it..so it's loud and empty at the same time (an issue on a couple of tracks on this album). I also feel that they brought Kil up a little too much in the new mix, to the point where some of the effects are distracting. With that being said, I do like the lyrics...a nice ode to resilience. 6.5/10

'State of The Art'- Again, I've pretty much spoken on this one already. Great lyrics and instrumentation during the verses, but the overdriven guitar and underwhelming lyrics of the chorus leave me cold. 7/10

'Glitterbomb'- 'Nimble' dropped first, but this is the track that got me really excited for the album. I hear some elements of 'Made for TV Movie' and 'A Kiss To Send Us Off' put through a Soundgarden/Faith No More filter, which, on paper, doesn't seem like it would work. But, boy, does it work! Also, you can hear how Sardy really pushed Brandon. The rawness of the vocals in the second verse really deliver. And that bridge. That EPIC bridge!! 9/10

'Undefeated'- I've touched on this one as well. The Pixies influence is obvious here . Incubus has touched on this sound previously, in 'Earth To Bella Part 2', which I loved. This is another song where I think the kick is slightly overbearing, but I think that effect fits this song better than 'Nimble'. While I feel the verse lyrics in this song are not as strong as others, I love the chorus delivery, song structure and overall feel to a point where I find it pretty enjoyable. 7.5/10

'Loneliest'- Haunting and moody. Enigmatic and seductive. It sucked me in from the moment I heard a snippet of this track last month. I hear elements of 'Here In My Room' and 'In The Company of Wolves' (back half) on this one. I also feel these are some of the most personal, honest lyrics Brandon has ever written and I have to commend him for that. If I could change something on this, I would love an extended guitar solo on that bridge. Mike's guitar tone is so beautiful here and I just want more. 9.5/10

'When I Became A Man'- Sigh..the joke track. I would probably appreciate this track a little bit more if we had a 13-14 track album on our hands. It's only 56 seconds long, but feels like it's taking up precious album space. 5.5/10

'Familiar Faces'- 'Talk Shows on Mute' for 2017. I can identify with the subject matter of being disillusioned with someone who you looked up to turns out to be not who you thought they were. That feeling of thinking that everyone around you is "drinking the Kool-Aid", falling for obvious lies, and you're the lone voice of reason. Nice groove and catchy chorus. This track really works for me. I also appreciate the subtle touches Skrillex put on this track. He slips in some effects throughout, without it ever taking over to where it becomes distracting. 8/10

'Love In A Time Of Suveillance'- I said it before and I'll say it again: that bassline, the guitar work and Brandon's vocal..PERFECTION!! You really couldn't ask for more. 90's grunge meets 2017. I also think this track contains commentary that's important for the times we are living in right now. How much privacy and identity are we willing to give up for the sake of technology and "public knowledge"? I feel this is something we need to deal with sooner rather than later. 9.5/10

'Make No Sound In The Digital Forest'- Since this is an instrumental, I obviously can't comment on lyric content. But I love that we have a track of the guys switching things up, with Brandon on bass and Ben on drums. Everyone in this band is so multi-talented, and this just peels back another layer that I hope they explore on tour and future albums. 9/10

'Throw Out The Map'- SNAP!! Strong closing track. I hear elements of 'Have You Ever', 'Under My Umbrella" and "Sick Sad Little World" on this. Lyrically, I feel like this song brings the album full circle from 'No Fun', with just as much energy. The "spell" is broken, the "snake" is shedding its skin and there's no going back. At the same time, it's almost a recommitment, or perhaps an evolution, to the creed from "A Crow Left of The Murder" (From here on it's instinctual/ Even straight roads meander/ Every piece contains a map of it all). And, of course, how can you NOT love the "Chaka Khan" line? LOL!! 10/10

If you do the math, it comes to 8.3/10, but I'm rounding up to 8.5/10.

Highly enjoyable album that I feel I will enjoy more and more with each listen. I swear, I put my headphones on, and I pick up on something different everytime. Sign of a great grower!!
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:57 am

Undefeated is kinda growing on me. What is this? I still think it's a pretty weak track, but I don't hate it anymore. It escaped from the pack of truly awful Incubus-songs.

Look_Alive
Rogue

Postby Look_Alive » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:15 am

Jelger wrote:Undefeated is kinda growing on me. What is this? I still think it's a pretty weak track, but I don't hate it anymore. It escaped from the pack of truly awful Incubus-songs.

I said on first listen to 8 that it actually works a lot better in the context of an album. The chorus, while pretty bland in itself, has a pretty catchy melody, too. My main issue with it is that the song doesn't really go anywhere.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 am

Jup, my problem too. The pay off after the bridge is exactly the same as the pay off after the intro in The Original: non-existent.

devoiced
Turbo Geek

Postby devoiced » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 am

positive review from Germany 3/5 http://www.laut.de/Incubus/Alben/8-106725
summed up:
great album overall,praising the renewed energy and quality of songwriting. great production work by Sardy and Skrillex, maybe a bit too safe and mainstream but still a "damn good rockband"
18. August 2002
14. April 2004
15. March 2007
20. June 2007

SmokinTheHerbAgain
Zeta

Postby SmokinTheHerbAgain » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 am

So what's the next single going to be?? A good second single could really keep the good sales going!

alabaster
Human Magic Marker

Postby alabaster » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 am

right now '8' is the lowest rated album in the last few months on metacritic. WTF?! I mean the album is no masterpiece but come on! how do these guys garner such negative reviews?
-Larry

Return to “Incubus”