'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

HAM
The Fly Guy

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby HAM » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Initial thoughts:

Overall enjoyable listen.

At the very least we can say this album has some energy which was lacking on INNW.

There are some songs, and parts of songs, that I don't care for, but there are also many standout moments.

phil collins
Privileged

Postby phil collins » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 pm

NO FUN. What a banger!!! I can totally see them opening up with this at the shows this summer....I don't know about the rest of you, but it gets me hype as fuck.

This whole album is on point....My only gripe is that in hindsight I wish they hadn't released 4 tracks prior to the album dropping. I played the bones out of those songs leading up to 8. Oh...and I guess another track in place of "When I Became a Man" too....but at this point beggars can't be choosers. We waited 6 years for this, and I'm grateful to have a solid new album, but I'm already hungry for more if this is the new direction they are taking. It's a decent length with no real duds, but short enough to beg to be played over again.

I think Skrillex really polished up the production quite well. I get an almost industrial feeling from the record, which I quite like. "It sounds like Incubus, only in 2017" is totally accurate.

Too soon to say how it stacks up among the others, but I'll put it up there decently high on the list.

JLynn943
The Karate Kid

Postby JLynn943 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:42 pm

I can't believe that BS Sputnik review actually counts on Metacritic. I know reviews shouldn't matter to anyone, but that review is shit. I don't understand the constant need for critics to bash anything that Incubus does.
June 30, 2004 - Hershey, PA
August 8, 2007 - Philadelphia, PA
August 8, 2009 - Philadelphia, PA
September 10, 2011 - Camden, NJ
May 13, 2012 - Philadelphia, PA
May 16, 2012 - Bethlehem, PA
August 16, 2012 - Camden, NJ
July 31, 2015 - Bethlehem, PA
August 8, 2015 - Camden, NJ

nevermind28
Familiar

Postby nevermind28 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:49 pm

I've listened to the new disc straight through about five times now. Here's where it fits for me. That being said, I'm just damn happy to have some new incubus and have a feeling this tour with Jimmy is going to be fantastic. If I was in Vegas, I'd put my money on "No Fun" "Nimble Bastard" "Glitterbomb" "State Of The Art" and "Undefeated" and the ones we get live initially.

1. Morning View
2. Make Yourself
3. S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
4. Crow
5. Light Grenades
6. 8
7. Fungus Amongus
8. If Not Now, When?

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Hmmm, if I had to rank albums right now:

1. Morning View
2. Crow
3. Make Yourself
4. 8
5. Light Grenades
6. S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
7. If Not Now, When?
8. Fungus

LG and 8 might end up going back and forth, depending on my mood.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

nevermind28
Familiar

Postby nevermind28 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:00 pm

I couldn't agree more about LG and 8 going back and forth. I just have some great memories with LG that makes it a significantly better Cd than it already is.

phil collins
Privileged

Postby phil collins » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:Hmmm, if I had to rank albums right now:

1. Morning View
2. Crow
3. Make Yourself
4. 8
5. Light Grenades
6. S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
7. If Not Now, When?
8. Fungus

LG and 8 might end up going back and forth, depending on my mood.

Took the words right out of my mouth here. I struggle between Crow and Morning View in the same regard.

Juan.
The Fly Guy

Postby Juan. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Fairly positive review from ARTV, 3.5/5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54zWtUR-xI

jmsgrx
Turbo Geek

Postby jmsgrx » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Did anyone get their physical copies in the mail from the concert-ticket-purchase-thing?
-James

Jason.
The Karate Kid

Postby Jason. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 pm

jmsgrx wrote:Did anyone get their physical copies in the mail from the concert-ticket-purchase-thing?

Been checking the mailbox all week...nope. Can't wait to read the lyrics while listening. Listening to an album for the first time while reading the lyrics is one thing I miss about just having it on the phone.
-Jason.

incuboy2012ad
The Karate Kid

Postby incuboy2012ad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Not that it ultimately matters, but does anyone think theres a chance for #1 on Billboard 200 next week? Given that nothing else highly anticipated was released today, I think there's a shot.

Sidebar: I didn't get my CD in the mail either.

EarthtoBella
Turbo Geek

Postby EarthtoBella » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:00 pm

incuboy2012ad wrote:Not that it ultimately matters, but does anyone think theres a chance for #1 on Billboard 200 next week? Given that nothing else highly anticipated was released today, I think there's a shot.

It's currently ranked 3 on the itunes charts. Kendrick Lamar is dominating the charts at the moment it seems. It's be awesome if they did.
Proud Australian
aka TheAntipop
23 February 2008. Riverstage, Brisbane.
10 February 2012. Convention Centre, Brisbane.
1 March 2015. Royal Showgrounds, Brisbane.
12 March 2018. Riverstage, Brisbane.

trip30418
Zeta

Postby trip30418 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:06 pm

incuboy2012ad wrote:Not that it ultimately matters, but does anyone think theres a chance for #1 on Billboard 200 next week? Given that nothing else highly anticipated was released today, I think there's a shot.

They should be up there for sure. Looks like Kendrick Lamar will be #1. His album was released on the 14th so I'm not sure how Billboards weeks go with all these non traditional tuesday release days like the past.

On another note I love the album. I only wish they would've stuck with Nimble Bastard as the only pre release song. IMO Glitterbomb and SOTA are 2 of the strongest tracks and I felt like a kid on Xmas morning that already opened half his presents.

trip30418
Zeta

Postby trip30418 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Ok, so my bad Billboard charts go from Friday-Thursday since 2015. Shows how much I've paid attention to the charts lately. So there's a good shot then

phil collins
Privileged

Postby phil collins » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:02 am

enjoincubus2 wrote:So...anyone have a friend in Japan or anyone have access to Japanese iTunes via VPN, etc?

This.

Call all your Japanese friends so we can find out where the acoustic version of Nimble Bastard is hiding. It's 2017 folks.

Per Mike's Instagram:

Annnnnnd Discogs.com

It's interesting to see the credits on the back as well

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:07 am

I would be okay if Incubus came in at #2 or #3 right behind Kendrick. That is a fantastic album.

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:59 am

I'm also a little surprised by the reaction that it's such a predictable and safe record. After listening to it multiple times straight through, it feels to me like there is a good amount risk-taking and getting outside their comfort zone, even if it isn't on a weird-level similar to SCIENCE. It's far from what I expected after INNW and Trust Fall.

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:02 am

Day 2 - I'm really starting to love it. It's a real grower. The pacing and track order makes everything pop. My only gripe is the NB new mix. I would have kept the old or mixed it like No Fun.

We have a new album and it sounds like the lads are having fun with it - good times!

Ps - unsung hero is Sardy for pushing Brandon on the vocals. I think these are some of the best recorded vocals he's done

devoiced
Turbo Geek

Postby devoiced » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:41 am

GrahamLAT wrote:Ps - unsung hero is Sardy for pushing Brandon on the vocals. I think these are some of the best recorded vocals he's done

yes, absolutely. I always found Brandon's vocals a bit too clean and smooth for my taste on almost all previous Incubus records.
Finally has some grit in his voice.
still find it weird that Sardy is not mentioned anywhere in the booklet.
The band still talks about him as being an important factor in the early process of the album.
I suspect he was not happy with the album being remixed by Skrillex and did not want to identify himself with the end product. Just speculation though. childish if true.
18. August 2002
14. April 2004
15. March 2007
20. June 2007

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:54 am

Roger wrote:
Jelger wrote:Don't react to a review like that. Let him have his thing and do not care about others. If you like the album, you like it. If you don't, you don't. It's all good.

Fair. Can't help but get defensive over my favorite band, especially when the opinion is so egregiously negative and there are errors in the review.

I've been thinking about this review and while I still think we should let the reviewer think whatever he thinks, one thing rubs me the wrong way. Reading his response to your comment, it's obvious he listened to the record once (he didn't want to go back to Undefeated to check the lyric). I've reviewed hundreds of albums in the past few years and no matter what I always listened to an album at least three times before writing anything. No matter how bad I thought it was upon first listen.

Return to “Incubus”