'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby GrahamLAT » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:25 am

Have you seen the state of the charts though? It won't happen sadly - and NB isn't 10 in the main singles chart, it's one of the rock ones.

I have seen a few bands do this drip feeding of songs, Muse did that over here with their last album. It got ridiculous, in the week before Drones came out I already had 75% of the album plus they'd blown all the good ones! I think that record companies do it this way because they know that singles won't do well or get played so they have this huge lead up period to the album coming out and hook as many fans in as possible to buying the album, more than they would get in week 1 alone. However it's a moot point as people can get these tracks on streaming for free as I have, because I want the CD.

I sound old, but I really really miss how things used to work. I remember paying £5 for a cd single of Hash Pipe by weezer because I couldn't wait a week for the Green album to come out, which I then paid £11 for.
Last edited by Jelger on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Huge quote from post right above, cloggs up the forum.

Jazz
Privileged

Postby Jazz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Mike said in the latest Instagram video that State of the Art was a song Brandon had in mind 4 years ago.

Could it be that he wrote the lyrics when he was working with Sons of the sea?

Jason.
The Karate Kid

Postby Jason. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Jazz wrote:Mike said in the latest Instagram video that State of the Art was a song Brandon had in mind 4 years ago.

Could it be that he wrote the lyrics when he was working with Sons of the sea?

Someone pointed out how over used the chord progression for the chorus is in pop music, you gotta know it was our boy Boyd on the guitar fiddling around and finding something... Anyone who has ever picked up a guitar and written something has come up with the same chords, so, hey, if that is his offering of those chords, right on, man. Probably better than most anything I've heard with those chords. I love how the rest of the band comes in on the last chorus- it gives me chills every time.

So, yeah, I knew when I heard it (and from the guys saying a lot was written by Mike and Brandon on guitars and piano) that Brandon had most likely written that one. And I gotta say it sounded like more of a Wild Trapeze song than Sons. But he probably came up with it sometime in between.

One other thing I'll say, and I said it before about album and song titles giving people ideas on what a song or album will sound like...I like "State of the Art", but not as much as the idea I had in my head for it (knowwhatimeanvern?)... which was more along the lines of something being out of your control and having to deal with it because that is the state of that thing...or art (like the state of politics or lies or war). Instead, the chorus says "Look at you, you're falling apart, built to spill, you're state of the art..." which to me doesn't really make a ton of sense because if you're falling apart, you would not be the state of the art thing, you'd be old. "State of the art" are four cool words when put together, but I don't really quite get what he was getting at (besides getting older). Any help in explaining would be fun for me, I hope it will be fun for you!
-Jason.

incuboy2012ad
The Karate Kid

Postby incuboy2012ad » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:41 pm

" I think that record companies do it this way because they know that singles won't do well or get played so they have this huge lead up period to the album coming out and hook as many fans in as possible to buying the album, more than they would get in week 1 alone".

That's a good point. As long as listeners are enjoying the songs, I guess that's what matters the most.
Last edited by Jelger on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:22 am

Every Incubus interview at the moment:
Mike: "Yeah what happened is we had this really cool song we wrote as a band and then Skrillex changed it"
Other band members: *stony silence or absence from interview to begin with*
Last edited by GrahamLAT on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Postby IncubusBelgium » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:39 am

Wasn't undefeated initially planned for april 5th?
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:48 am

I think it was planned for next week, april 14th. Two weeks after State of the Art, one week before album release.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyHsa9y0IFQ Nimble Bastard live, and it's cool to see what Ben does during the verses. The scratching sound from playing above the neck of the bass.

Roger
Hot Dancer

Postby Roger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 am

Jelger wrote:I think it was planned for next week, april 14th. Two weeks after State of the Art, one week before album release.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyHsa9y0IFQ Nimble Bastard live, and it's cool to see what Ben does during the verses. The scratching sound from playing above the neck of the bass.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe7Qay3seew

HQ version courtesy of Javincubus

edit: apologies as this was posted in updates thread
-Roger

incuboy2012ad
The Karate Kid

Postby incuboy2012ad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:04 pm

GrahamLAT wrote:Every Incubus interview at the moment:
Mike: "Yeah what happened is we had this really cool song we wrote as a band and then Skrillex changed it"
Other band members: *stony silence or absence from interview to begin with*

Dont forget Mike describing EVERYTHING as "organic". Im sure it gets boring as hell having to do 25 interviews in a row with radio stations around the country asking the same fucking questions but Brandon at least finds a new, interesting slightly different way to answer the same questions whereas Mike always seems to ride Skrillex's cock and describe the process as "ORGANIC"

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but regarding tickets and having a free download of the album... the email I received did not have the download link in it... did anyone clear this up that maybe an email would be sent later when it's released, or...?
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

Roger
Hot Dancer

Postby Roger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:03 pm

Went back and watched the lyric video of Nimble Bastard. Here you can still hear the original mix.

Am I the only one who prefers the original mix? I feel like I have a different appreciation for it now that I sort of know what to pick out while I'm listening. I think the dirtier sound is a bit more uplifting.

Probably in the minority here.
-Roger

patakevkev
Zeta

Postby patakevkev » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Blind Melon wrote:Sorry if this is a little off topic, but regarding tickets and having a free download of the album... the email I received did not have the download link in it... did anyone clear this up that maybe an email would be sent later when it's released, or...?

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Only downloadable content I got were some Jimmy Eat World songs.

eclecticmuso12
Zeta

Postby eclecticmuso12 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Is it just me or are they playing Nimble Bastard a semitone lower than on the studio version?

Ty
Privileged

Postby Ty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 pm

A few thoughts, first off Brandon sounds terrible in that live NB video...yikes.

So far I like all 3 but State of the Art has been the only one that has really been stuck in my head for the last several days. A really good sign for me. I like where they're headed, which TBH is anywhere away from INNW.

First time a drum machine has been used in a serious Incubus song too...it'll be interesting to see how Joser plays that part of SotA live...

I also agree with Absolution Calling/Trust Fall being better than these three so far, can't quite put my finger on why I like them more but in any case I do like the 3 "8" songs so far...just not quite like those two from 2015.

I listened to the snippets twice but I think I'm going to hold off until each song is released. I like the full package deal.

Carry on, my hard rockin' amigos.

Comatose
Rogue

Postby Comatose » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:54 am

Ty wrote:First time a drum machine has been used in a serious Incubus song too...it'll be interesting to see how Joser plays that part of SotA live...

Are you referring to the bridge? I imagine he'll have some sort of pad that make the sound when struck.

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Postby IncubusBelgium » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:12 am

Undefeated will be available tomorrow. Already listenable in Australia, some leaks are available for the impatients.
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am

I just heard "Undefeated". I thought I was going to hate this song based on the leaked snippets. It’s actually pretty good. Kinda cheesy, but good. Brandon’s vocals are STRONG. I like it better than "State of The Art". I'm shocked.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Postby IncubusBelgium » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:00 am

The Idler Wheel wrote:I just heard "Undefeated". I thought I was going to hate this song based on the leaked snippets. It’s actually pretty good. Kinda cheesy, but good. Brandon’s vocals are STRONG. I like it better than "State of The Art". I'm shocked.

Not really into it for now. Need to put it on repeat more and more.
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

Comatose
Rogue

Postby Comatose » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Hmmm. Upon first listen, Undefeated is the first disappointing song from 8.

GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto
Zeta

Postby GrainySeamonsterHoaxPhoto » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:35 pm

My shot at Undefeated lyrics

Could there be another universe?
One that wasn't always out to get ya.
And it breaks my heart a little bit
That here I'm like a sleepwalker
Half alive and hangin' by a thread

I'm not dead yet
I'm not dead yet (Nooo)
I'm beat but not broken
And I'm not dead yet (Nooo)
Yeah

Maybe there's a poem in reverse?
Spoken and it holds me up forever
And it breaks my heart a little bit
That love is like a blind archer
Tryin' to shoot an apple off my head

I'm not dead yet
I'm not dead yet (Nooo)
I'm beat but not broken
And I'm not dead yet
Not yet

We're undefeated
Bent but not broken
No they ain't seen
Nothin' yet

We're undefeated
Bent but not broken
Not dead yet

We're undefeated
Bent but not broken
No they ain't seen
Nothin' yet

We're undefeated
Bent but not broken

I'm not dead yet
I'm not dead yet (Nooo)
I'm beat but not broken
I'm not dead yet
I'm not dead yet
I'm not dead yet
I'm beat but not broken
I'm not dead yet (Nooo)

I was sure I wasn't going to like this one but I love the chorus and the slow guitar wailing while Brandon is singing I'm not dead yet. Strangely I almost always prefer the verse in Incubus songs but for me the chorus is far better in this one (instrumentation). Does the guitar in the chorus remind anyone else of the Pan Flute part in Aqueous? Am I crazy or is it really similar in some way?

Return to “Incubus”