'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

User avatar
IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:05 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby IncubusBelgium » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:33 am

The mix is really good too.
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

VTDave
Turbo Geek
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby VTDave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:43 am

I tend to agree that the bridge isn't as special as some others are making it out to be. For me, the verses totally carry the song in addition to the lyrics (particularly the first verse for me). I don't necessarily dislike the bridge, it just doesn't stand out as much to me as the verses and the strength of the chorus that kicks in after the bridge. After listening through quality headphones, there's a lot of intriguing stuff going on in the song....Kil's effects are all over the place and I love the acoustic guitar that kicks in during the pre-chorus (hard to hear without the headphones or good speakers....kicks in on the right side, very subtle but effective). I also love the little breakdown between the first chorus and second verse.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4173
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Jelger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:12 am

Does anyone else think Mike's guitar work is quite simple and straightforward in these new songs? I think out of all the members, his work impressed me the least so far. Except maybe that little melody at the beginning of State of the Art (which sounds very INNW).

EDIT: Song is growing on me. It remains generic, straightforward poprock, but damn it sticks. I already thought of the type of video that would work with this: the guys all playing individually in a fairly dark room, the camera revolving around them as they Benjamin Button-like age in reverse. Guys from the band, hit me up for this idea, because in my head it looks awesome.

jbarnettuk1984
New Skin
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:19 am

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby jbarnettuk1984 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:26 am

Jelger wrote:I removed the link, generally speaking: don't post links to content that is or will be available commercially in the near future. It's on spotify from 00:00 onwards (depending on time zone) and if people really can't wait, I'm sure they can Google it.

No worries, I wasn't quite sure of the procedure.

Having listened to SOTA several times now, I can say it's some way behind Glitterbomb for me. Mike's guitar work reminds me of Dig, and whilst it's catchy and sticks in my head, I wasn't a huge fan of the last minute or so of the song and the way it trails off. Don't get me wrong - I think it'll fit in as an album track just fine.

Putting my money on Loneliest and Familiar Faces being the official 'singles' to follow the album release.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4173
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Jelger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:52 am

No worries! Welcome to the forum anyway, always good to see new blood.

I think State of the Art would make a good single. It's super accessible and could prove to be a big hit.

Nicubus
Rogue
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Nicubus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 am

Jelger wrote:I already thought of the type of video that would work with this: the guys all playing individually in a fairly dark room, the camera revolving around them as they Benjamin Button-like age in reverse. Guys from the band, hit me up for this idea, because in my head it looks awesome.


So basically the Anna-Molly video (the band part, not the weird murder part) meets the Pardon Me Video? :D

User avatar
Look_Alive
Rogue
Posts: 1535
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Look_Alive » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:01 am

Can we just talk about how Skrillex is knocking it out of the park so far? The mix for this song is so good.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Image

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:28 pm
Location: The Sunshine State!

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:23 am

jbarnettuk1984 wrote:
Putting my money on Loneliest and Familiar Faces being the official 'singles' to follow the album release.



I really hope so. These two sound great so far!!
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4173
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Jelger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:37 am

Nicubus wrote:So basically the Anna-Molly video (the band part, not the weird murder part) meets the Pardon Me Video? :D


Haha yeah, it sounds alike. I've never watched Incubus' videos too much, so I didn't even make the connection myself. Thematically State of the Art is close to Pardon Me.

But what you mention is not what I had in my head, haha. I'll see if I can find videos that resemble it.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:28 pm
Location: The Sunshine State!

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 am

VTDave wrote:I tend to agree that the bridge isn't as special as some others are making it out to be. For me, the verses totally carry the song in addition to the lyrics (particularly the first verse for me). I don't necessarily dislike the bridge, it just doesn't stand out as much to me as the verses and the strength of the chorus that kicks in after the bridge. After listening through quality headphones, there's a lot of intriguing stuff going on in the song....Kil's effects are all over the place and I love the acoustic guitar that kicks in during the pre-chorus (hard to hear without the headphones or good speakers....kicks in on the right side, very subtle but effective). I also love the little breakdown between the first chorus and second verse.



I agree that you need to listen through headphones to get everything. The verses are pretty good, it's the bland chorus that's keeping me from loving this song.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

GrahamLAT
Zeta
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 am

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby GrahamLAT » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:16 am

This is a strange period - I am a huge Incubus fan, they are my favourite band. A lot of people seem to think this is a return to form after the Trust Fall EP and I don't fully agree. I like Nimble Bastard and Glitterbomb. SOTA is ok. But absolutely none of them touch Absolution Calling or Trust Fall, nowhere close for me. I also preferred the original mix on NB. The production on these new songs feels like them trying to update a rock sound into something clean cut. NB's two mixes are a clear example. I also am wondering if I am listening to Kilmore or Skrillex half the time.

I think the Trust Fall EP had two problems:
1) Make Out Party is the worst ever Incubus song
2) It wasn't an album - I think the average Incubus fan prefers the excitement and longevity of an album campaign.

Call me crazy but I would probably prefer to be hearing the album that 3 of the 4 Trust Fall songs should have become.

User avatar
Rantanplan
Turbo Geek
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Between France and Japan
Contact:

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Rantanplan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:32 am

State Of The Art is an instant catch to me. Could potentially grow as one of my all time Incubus fav.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist
Posts: 4173
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Jelger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:10 am

I can get behind what GrahamLAT (welcome!) says. I like Trust Fall better than all of the new tracks so far. Maybe Abolustion Calling is not better, but it's not worse than any of the new ones. I like the new songs, but at this point I'm not sure if this album will rank higher than Light Grenades for me (which is probably fifth on my list).

User avatar
Look_Alive
Rogue
Posts: 1535
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Look_Alive » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:20 am

Gotta say, the way Island are releasing these singles is really bad. For all three songs, you'd have thought they'd have got a lyric video or at least something like that ready to go on YouTube immediately just because it's the most shareable platform - it sounds stupid but look at the fact State of the Art hasn't been shared on somewhere like /r/music because Apple Music links, etc. just won't go as well as YouTube.
Ebbsfleet United fan.



Image

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:28 pm
Location: The Sunshine State!

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:35 am

Look_Alive wrote:Gotta say, the way Island are releasing these singles is really bad. For all three songs, you'd have thought they'd have got a lyric video or at least something like that ready to go on YouTube immediately just because it's the most shareable platform - it sounds stupid but look at the fact State of the Art hasn't been shared on somewhere like /r/music because Apple Music links, etc. just won't go as well as YouTube.



I still don't get why they aren't on Kimmel, ect. until AFTER the album comes out. You'd think they'd what to build as much buzz as possible before it comes out, right?
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

User avatar
Look_Alive
Rogue
Posts: 1535
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Look_Alive » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:13 am

The Idler Wheel wrote:
Look_Alive wrote:Gotta say, the way Island are releasing these singles is really bad. For all three songs, you'd have thought they'd have got a lyric video or at least something like that ready to go on YouTube immediately just because it's the most shareable platform - it sounds stupid but look at the fact State of the Art hasn't been shared on somewhere like /r/music because Apple Music links, etc. just won't go as well as YouTube.



I still don't get why they aren't on Kimmel, ect. until AFTER the album comes out. You'd think they'd what to build as much buzz as possible before it comes out, right?


Yeah, the whole thing is strange. Unless of course Island are anticipating a killer hit single to come out around when the album does.
Ebbsfleet United fan.



Image

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:28 pm
Location: The Sunshine State!

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:17 am

Look_Alive wrote:
Yeah, the whole thing is strange. Unless of course Island are anticipating a killer hit single to come out around when the album does.



Good point. They just released "State of The Art" and "Undefeated" is supposed to be released next week. Maybe neither one is going to be an "official single", which would be fine by me.
Last edited by The Idler Wheel on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

User avatar
Cottonete
Hot Dancer
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Baires

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Cottonete » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 am

I just preordered the album but I cant seem to find where to download the song, could somebody guide me? (There is nothing under downloadable products)
Sebastián.
Some of my work! -->CottonPhotodesign / Incubus Pics @ Buenos Aires 2013
Oct 11th 2007 / Oct 5th 2010 / Dec 14th 2013 / Sep 28th 2017

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:28 pm
Location: The Sunshine State!

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 am

Cottonete wrote:I just preordered the album but I cant seem to find where to download the song, could somebody guide me? (There is nothing under downloadable products)



Did you order from the HQ site? If so, I've seen some comments online that some people outside the US are having issues with that. You might want to follow up with the customer service email/ phone number at the bottom of the main store page.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

User avatar
Cottonete
Hot Dancer
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Baires

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Cottonete » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:30 am

The Idler Wheel wrote:
Cottonete wrote:I just preordered the album but I cant seem to find where to download the song, could somebody guide me? (There is nothing under downloadable products)



Did you order from the HQ site? If so, I've seen some comments online that some people outside the US are having issues with that. You might want to follow up with the customer service email/ phone number at the bottom of the main store page.


Yes I preordered through incubus HQ.
Thank you. I will try to do that.
Sebastián.
Some of my work! -->CottonPhotodesign / Incubus Pics @ Buenos Aires 2013
Oct 11th 2007 / Oct 5th 2010 / Dec 14th 2013 / Sep 28th 2017


Return to “Incubus”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest