'8' - Album discussion

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

'8' - Album discussion

Postby Jelger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:35 am

I'm going to get a bit ahead of everything already, and try to pull some of the discussion about Nimble Bastard and the new album away from the News and Updates thread. Just to make sure actual news doesn't get lost in pages of discussion.

What we know:
- Album titled '8', since it's their eight studio record
- First single Nimble Bastard out now.
- Release date April 21st, Incubus day!
- Has a collaberation with Skrillex on it. Brandon also suggested there may be some remixes by Skrillex of some new songs.
- According to the band 'not mellow', 'high-energy', 'rocking'
- Written in about a year and a half time
- 'Most exciting thing we've done in the past ten years', according to Mike (Zane Lowe interview)

What are your expectations after hearing Nimble Bastard? What are you hoping to hear?

Look_Alive
Rogue

Re: '8' - Album discussion

Postby Look_Alive » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:19 am

It sounds a bit stupid but I hope this album isn't cohesive. Look at Morning View, Crow and Light Grenades, and whilst each album has its own unique vibe, lots of different sounds, etc were explored. INNW, on the other hand, saw them try to make a more cohesive album and it was all too samey.
Ebbsfleet United fan.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 am

While I agree with the INNW-remark, I do think that Morning View and Crow are cohesive. Both albums flow nicely and have a general feel to it that echoes in every song, at least to me. Light Grenades is a bit more of a patched together album, the band has described it as such.

I hope there is a more experimentation than in Nimble Bastard to be found on the album. After hearing the new single about 15-20 times, I dig it, but it's straight-forward. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd be disappointed if the whole album feels like that. Also, I hope there are some songs that breathe. If I listen to a song like Echo, Dig, Are You In or Punch Drunk, there's so much room for everyone in the song. Nimble Bastard and Trust Fall Side A were a bit too much wall of sound for me, so a nice open song or two would be nice.

Also hope Ben gets a chance to shine on a few songs (in Nimble Bastard he's lost in the wall of sound), just to shut up those annoying Dirk-fanboys who are always jumping on every comment section on anything Incubus-related. My god, are they annoying.

IncubusBelgium
The Karate Kid

Postby IncubusBelgium » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am

Jelger wrote:Also hope Ben gets a chance to shine on a few songs (in Nimble Bastard he's lost in the wall of sound), just to shut up those annoying Dirk-fanboys who are always jumping on every comment section on anything Incubus-related. My god, are they annoying.

AMEN.

My first thoughts on the single were full of doubts, but after many listenings, I really love it. More than any songs of INNW. Everybody's talking about the 'pop' aspect of that song. Isn't that what defines a good single ? Wish you were here, Dig, Drive, Promises, etc. were all really catchy songs. We'll have to dig more on the new album to get real Incubus pearls, as we did with Out from under, Aqueous, Under my Umbrella, Zee Deveel or Rogues.

I really think this song opens doors to a pretty good album. The band seems to be more excited than ever, let's share that.
Isn't what we all should do as Incubus fans ?
Incubus
29 May 2004
1 July 2007
14 September 2007
30 June 2012
28 August 2018
Ben Kenney
30 September 2013
Brandon Boyd Art Talks
11 March 2014
08 November 2014
12 March 2016

alabaster
Human Magic Marker

Postby alabaster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Like many of you guys, my first reaction was meh.. but after several listens it's really growing on me. (much better sounding with headphones)
To me this song fits in the mold of Vultures, Midnight Swim, Make a Move, Look Alive, etc.. which is a very good thing!
That bridge section from 1:51 to 2:30 is soo good, to me it has this 80s Rush vibe to it. it's just too bad it's such a short part of the song.
This is definitely one of their better songs since LG or Crow.
I can't wait for the album to be released! An energetic and dark, rocking sound according to Brandon and Jose!
Damn.. just when I thought I had no expectations for this album! lol
-Larry

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:20 pm

BG3eb
Human Magic Marker

Postby BG3eb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:30 pm

The bridge, as mentioned above, really reminds me of Phantom Planet too.

alabaster
Human Magic Marker

Postby alabaster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Nice Video!

I know you guys saw those songs on the whiteboard:

connect the dots
throw out the map
love in a time of surveillance
atheder
hovercraft
firehose riff
Last edited by alabaster on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Larry

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:45 pm

I also see State of the Art, Glitter Bomb, Loneliest

Nicubus
Rogue

Postby Nicubus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 pm

So yesterday after the song came out, videos of NB were everywhere on Youtube, today they are all gone on copyright claims. I've never seen that with Incubus stuff before and it kinda sucks.

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 pm

The song grows on me with every listen (and there have been lots so far). This feels like one that would be a typical B-side that they would leave off the album and everyone would get pissed about it and wonder why it didn't make the final cut (e.g. Look Alive). I'm also stoked that it sounds like the album will have at least 11 songs, would be surprised if they included that shot in the lyric video if all of those didn't make the cut. The song titles are also super interesting and nothing overly cliche along the likes of Love Hurts, Promises Promises, Diamonds and Coal, etc. Everything happening so far has exceeded my expectations and I am pumped for the full release.

f
The Karate Kid

Postby f » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:38 pm

nb is meh. just sounds all over the place like the trust fall ep. disappointing but hopefully there are gems on the album. for innw, adolescents caught your attention and drew your interest. this lead single for 8 doesnt really do that :?

f
The Karate Kid

Postby f » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:41 pm

VTDave wrote:The song grows on me with every listen (and there have been lots so far). This feels like one that would be a typical B-side that they would leave off the album and everyone would get pissed about it and wonder why it didn't make the final cut (e.g. Look Alive). I'm also stoked that it sounds like the album will have at least 11 songs, would be surprised if they included that shot in the lyric video if all of those didn't make the cut. The song titles are also super interesting and nothing overly cliche along the likes of Love Hurts, Promises Promises, Diamonds and Coal, etc. Everything happening so far has exceeded my expectations and I am pumped for the full release.

look alive and nb are night and day. no comparison.

Jason.
The Karate Kid

Postby Jason. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:57 pm

I love the new song. The guitar and bass at the beginning sound like pistons for a giant machine firing slowly. I love it.

Brandon doesn't go full-singing for the first bit, which from what he said in one interview about Dave Sardy, I feel could be the new producer pushing him to have more dynamic singing. I like that. If you guys listened to the Sons of the Sea album, it was everything a fan of Boyd could hope for. Sooooo many voices in different places, so many harmonies, fun bits everywhere. I was excited by that album because if he can go to 11 there, they could all go to 11 on the next album.

From being so caught up in what Trump has been doing, and the folks saying the song reminded them of "Megalomaniac", after reading the lyrics, I didn't see how it was about Trump. Now with Brandon and Mike explaining it, I really loved the change in expectation I had. I love a good curveball.

Along those same lines, I absolutely love how everything sounds. Tons and tons of guitars and how the guitar tone changes throughout, I gotta say that must be Sardy pushing it along. Heavy, big guitars and a straight forward rocker. Don't forget- music is supposed to be fun! And yeah, Ben may be lost in the mix, but I'll be darned if the guitar in the chorus is something he didn't come up with.

They've written so many songs and albums, all I want is for them to keep having fun doing what they do. I am so glad they started over after not putting out a Side B. (It helped the Chili Peppers last album if you ask me- along with a change in producer).

About the album title...man, we put so much into what the name of the album is, (and even song titles) and it sways an expectation one way or another, that I am glad they just titled it "8". Eighth album. There you go. Now judge the songs when they come out. Which I can't wait. Glad to see the board getting excited about it after such a long time since a new album!
-Jason.

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:33 pm

f wrote:
VTDave wrote:The song grows on me with every listen (and there have been lots so far). This feels like one that would be a typical B-side that they would leave off the album and everyone would get pissed about it and wonder why it didn't make the final cut (e.g. Look Alive). I'm also stoked that it sounds like the album will have at least 11 songs, would be surprised if they included that shot in the lyric video if all of those didn't make the cut. The song titles are also super interesting and nothing overly cliche along the likes of Love Hurts, Promises Promises, Diamonds and Coal, etc. Everything happening so far has exceeded my expectations and I am pumped for the full release.

look alive and nb are night and day. no comparison.

Agree to disagree... I am far from the first one to make that comparison. Sorry you haven't enjoyed the song! Hopefully the album will be more up your alley. This song is much more interesting to me than Adolescents, which was all over the place IMO and had one of the more disjointed bridges they've written. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Adolescents and it's tough for these guys to let me down, but I'm much more excited for 8 after hearing NB than I was for INNW after hearing Adolescents.

VTDave
Turbo Geek

Postby VTDave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:43 pm

I also was using Look Alive as an example of a B side that got left off the album but many wished it made the cut. Think you missed my point.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm excited by Nimble Bastard. It think it shows the band is heading in an exciting direction. I'd expect a number of lovely left field Incubus tracks. There's still so much unknown about the sound of the album (Skrillex being mentioned is intriguing at the very least) and the band are obviously excited about it which is good sign.

ebbingtide
Turbo Geek

Postby ebbingtide » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:41 am

Nimble Bastard is a definite grower, loving it and can't wait for the new album, it's got me listening to SCIENCE and LG, where I would usually put on MY, MV, CROW, but i'm generally listening to more incubus again :D
Last edited by ebbingtide on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

19th January 2002 - Wembley, London
23rd August 2002 - Reading Festival
15th May 2004 - Wembley, London
1st June 2004 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
25th August 2005 - Reading Festival
29th September 2007 - Brixton, London
30th September 2007 - Brixton, London
1st October 2007 - Brixton, London
14th June 2011 - HMV Forum, London
4th November 2011 - Alexandra Palace, London
5th November 2011 - Cardiff
9th July 2012 - Brixton, London
16th June 2015 - Hammersmith Apollo, London

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:52 am

Glad this discussion has been split from the news & updates thread.

I really didn't like the song (NB). The song's feel just doesn't do anything for me. I wouldn't want to ruin everyone else's enjoyment of the song so I'll just leave it at that.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:24 am

I don't think you have to hold back, Tingky. I realize this is a place for fans and the things the band do are generally loved, but there should be room for discussion and if someone doesn't like something, they should be able to say so.

I've read a bunch of negative/less positive reactions and I can understand where every single one of them is coming from. Generic? Yes, a bit. The verse and pre-chorus are literally two chords, the chorus is three or four chords, Kil's touches (which could add a little bit of uniqueness) are deep down in the mix, Ben is lost completely. This is a straigth-forward rock song that if it were by a band I didn't listen to this much, I probably wouldn't listen to on a regular basis. Because it's Incubus, I'm inclined to listen to it more.

That being said, I do enjoy it. Like I enjoy Thrice's Blood on the Sand or Pearl Jam's Getaway. Not every song has to challenge me as a listener. For me, Nimble Bastard fits in the category of songs like Black Heart Inertia and Make A Move. Decent songs, that I enjoy from time to time, but probably never make top of the list for me. I don't really get the comparison with Look Alive though, I think the only similarity is the energy/tempo. Besides that, I think Look Alive is far superior to Nimble Bastard.

Return to “Incubus”