nope, cant do it - worst song

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

f
The Karate Kid

nope, cant do it - worst song

Postby f » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:21 pm

i had the incubus discography on shuffle a few days back to get me pumped for this new song release and the fall MY tour. 3 songs in, promises promises comes on. i can listen to any incubus track. any of them except promises promises. that song has to be the worst incubus song ever. i don't understand how that song made innw much less making it a single.

what is your worst song in the incubus discography.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Re: nope, cant do it - worst song

Postby Jelger » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:08 pm

The Original was the first song I hated by the band. There were some before that I disliked or didn't fancy, but everything about this song felt pointless when I first heard it. Rebel Girls followed suit and I can't decide which I like less, but they are definitely my bottom two.

As for Promises, I hate how cheesy it is, but at least it has a hook that gets stuck in your head. I think it's a real shame the early leak of the album ruined their initial plan of releasing the sheet music and lyrics, to have people interpret it their own way. I genuinely think some fans would've crafted a more interesting song that way.

f
The Karate Kid

Postby f » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Jelger wrote:The Original was the first song I hated by the band. There were some before that I disliked or didn't fancy, but everything about this song felt pointless when I first heard it. Rebel Girls followed suit and I can't decide which I like less, but they are definitely my bottom two.

As for Promises, I hate how cheesy it is, but at least it has a hook that gets stuck in your head. I think it's a real shame the early leak of the album ruined their initial plan of releasing the sheet music and lyrics, to have people interpret it their own way. I genuinely think some fans would've crafted a more interesting song that way.

as i read this, the original pops up on shuffle lol.

promises is very cheesy but that hook does get stuck in your head. been humming it since my original post sigh.

i don't get how 'hold me down' and 'surface to air' got left out.

Seandammit
New Skin

Postby Seandammit » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Diamonds and Coal.

I'm also in the (from what I can tell) very very small minority that actually presently prefers INNW as their best album *ducks*

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:13 pm

I've never really had anything against D&C. It's just bland filler, that's so inoffensive I can't really hate it. It should, however, be the first one to be swaped out for Punch Drunk or Look Alive.

edabomb
Familiar

Postby edabomb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Promises Promises wins for me also. I actually really like Hold Me Down.

Make Out Party is also up there. When I Became a Man I can forgive due to length and intent.

I never liked Priceless on Crow but that doesn't stick out for me so much after subsequent releases.

Ty
Privileged

Postby Ty » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Southern Girl bores me to tears

incuboy2012ad
The Karate Kid

Postby incuboy2012ad » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:13 pm

Diamonds and Coal. Hands down. Followed closely by Martini. SMH. Don’t care for the Original that much either. I like the ending. Also don’t care for Tomorrow’s Food. Surface to Air and Hold Me Down should’ve replaced both of those songs on INNW. Not a big Zee Deevel fan either. Other than those few blips, I don’t skip any other songs on shuffle.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Diamonds and Coal and The Original for me. Those are really the only two songs I feel the urge to skip every time it comes on shuffle. Friends and Lovers use to be down there, but that song has grown on me over the years. I didn't care for Calgone much either, but it's a fun one live.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Promises, Promises is a track that I absolutely love. I'd put it in the top half of my favourite songs from the band.

It is obviously a strictly Boyd/Einziger joint; the rest of the band is very much in the supporting role, which to me is the biggest flaw of the album as a whole, but serves this track well.

Great vocal melody from Brandon, who is, to this day, a very tasteful melody writer. And perfectly sung in my opinion. Catchy chord progression and superb solo from Mikey. In fact his lead work on the whole album is pretty awesome, INN,W? is a vastly more interesting guitar album than 8. As a long time admirer of his guitar work 8 was a big disappointment.

It seems to fizzle out into the ether live on stage, but at HQ Live it was fantastic. It really benefits from being played to a smaller audience (insert Only-a-small-audience-wants-to-hear-it-anyway joke here).

The idea of releasing the sheet music first to let others 'leak' the song for them was so cool, and when the album leaked before they could do that I was just as gutted as the band.

The song is much-maligned but I think it's a misunderstood little ditty and fully deserves it's own special place in the oeuvre of the band.

phil collins
Privileged

Postby phil collins » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:28 pm

edabomb wrote:Priceless on Crow

You take that back!

For me:
Promises Promises
Love Hurts
The Original

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Man, all you D&C haters, and whoever said Priceless is a jerkstore (kidding, of course, I don't know you). If I had to truly pick one, I'd say Medium or Make Out Party.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

edabomb
Familiar

Postby edabomb » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:59 pm

It's the chorus on Priceless I never liked lyrically. Other than that it's great.

Another one I forgot to mention is Earth to Bella. Never got into that tune.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:59 am

Oeh Medium, yes. That one is pretty terible too. To be honest, I can't recall half of the songs on Fungus anymore. That album completely faded out of my rotation, also due to it not being on Spotify.

recklesscognition
Familiar

Postby recklesscognition » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:23 am

Love Hurts is one of the worst songs from any band I've ever heard in my life.

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Nazareth's Love Hurts is worse.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Yeah, that's true. I don't really mind Incubus' Love Hurts. I'd rather never hear it again during a live show I attend (three out of six shows is plenty) and the chorus is cringy, but I think Incubus has songs that are much worse or much more of a drag to listen to than Love Hurts.

Nicubus
Rogue

Postby Nicubus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:17 am

I guess I understand why people hate songs like Promises and Love Hurts so much, but personally I'd take an album of those over another song like The Original any day.

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Make Out Party, Switchblade, Rebel Girls. More controversially, I can’t stand Calgone and most of 8 is a shitshow. Into The Sunmer too, frankly.

f
The Karate Kid

Postby f » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Blind Melon wrote:Man, all you D&C haters, and whoever said Priceless is a jerkstore (kidding, of course, I don't know you). If I had to truly pick one, I'd say Medium or Make Out Party.

medium is some of their best stuff on fungus. definitely a sleeper.

always interesting to see other opinions on worst or best songs. i am seeing some tracks people consider bad that i consider great and vice versa.

Return to “Incubus”