Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Results and Discussion)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 15)

Postby Jelger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: B-sides! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself, Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When?, Trust Fall (Side A) and 8. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

And out is Crowded Elevator. The one song a lot of people thought would be the (easy) winner. I used to love it a few years back, but since it has dropped on my list. I can totally understand why it didn't make Make Yourself, not because I think every song on that album is better, but because I never really saw it fit on the album. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE B-side. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Pantomime
Look Alive
Punch Drunk
Surface To Air

Songs eliminated:
5 Crowded Elevator
6 While All The Vultures Feed
7 Monuments and Melodies
8 Admiration
9 Follow
10 Black Heart Inertia
11 Midnight Swim
12 Neither of Us Can See
13 Make A Move
14 Anything
15 Hold Me Down
16 Rebel Girls
17 Martini
18 Let's Go Crazy (Prince cover)

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 15)

Postby TinCanPhone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 pm

The only incubus song that reads like a math problem:

15 minutes to 6 and 14 floors to go, 13 suited strangers makes a crowded elevator slow. And I've got 1,000,000 words and phrases on the tip of my tongue for the only stranger next to me...

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 pm

Voting 'Pantomime' this time.
Next round is gonna be ROUGH!

TinCanPhone wrote:The only incubus song that reads like a math problem:

15 minutes to 6 and 14 floors to go, 13 suited strangers makes a crowded elevator slow. And I've got 1,000,000 words and phrases on the tip of my tongue for the only stranger next to me...

'Promises, Promises' kind of plays with the number theme at the beginning- "I'm only 23 for(4) another hour give or take"
-Brandi

We stand undefined
Can't be drawn with a straight line
This will not be our ending
We are alive, we are alive

Evanescence-Imperfection

GrahamLAT
Zeta

Postby GrahamLAT » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:21 am

Punch drunk is the best song but can’t win - it’s a major rip of wish you were here by pink Floyd, which is why it probably wasn’t a single.

Look alive to win!

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Postby TinCanPhone » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:26 pm

GrahamLAT wrote:Punch drunk is the best song but can’t win - it’s a major rip of wish you were here by pink Floyd, which is why it probably wasn’t a single.

Look alive to win!

It's very pink floydish, but not sure about it sounding like wish you were here. Where do you see that?

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 am

Major rip off. No way, haha. That's clearly overstating it.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 16)

Postby Jelger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:17 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: B-sides! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself, Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When?, Trust Fall (Side A) and 8. Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

For maybe the first time this Survivor-series, I'm actually a little sad writing this post. Surface to Air is out. I love this song and think it's among the band's best and certainly among the best they've made since Morning View. I truly think that this would be a huge fan-favorite if it had been on an album and it was better known than it is. Everyone in the band gels on this song. I really think it's an amazing song. Check out the best known live version, at the miner's show in Chile, here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTEhere on your LEAST FAVORITE B-side. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Pantomime
Look Alive
Punch Drunk

Songs eliminated:
4 Surface To Air
5 Crowded Elevator
7 Monuments and Melodies
8 Admiration
9 Follow
10 Black Heart Inertia
11 Midnight Swim
12 Neither of Us Can See
13 Make A Move
14 Anything
15 Hold Me Down
16 Rebel Girls
17 Martini

saua4ever
New Skin

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (Round 16)

Postby saua4ever » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 am

Oh man i‘m really shocked. I love Surface to air and hoped it would win. Still cant believe it wasnt on the album

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am

'Pantomime' really is the dark horse in this thing. I called it, but I didn't expect it to take out 'Surface To Air'. Wow!
-Brandi

We stand undefined

Evanescence-Imperfection

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Postby TinCanPhone » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 am

Are you freaking kidding me???? Surface doesn't even sound like a b side. That song would have elevated INNW more than the other b sides for their respective albums. That's really really disappointing

legohair
Hot Dancer

Postby legohair » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 am

Shocked when I saw S2A losing. It's one of my favourite Incubus jams, was astounded that it wasn't included on INN,W and nearly wasn't even released at all without people asking Rennie. It's one of the true lost singles, that probably would have been a huge hit had it been put out as a single at the time. I feel similarly about Familiar Faces not being a single.

Also, I am mortified that Punchdrunk looks like it's the next to go. It's probably up there as one of my all time favourites.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:47 am

I am astounded by the fact that people like Pantomime so much. It's a fine song, but I've always thought it was a bit empty too, sound-wise. Not sure how to describe it, but I always felt that it was lacking something, even though I like the song. But that's the difference between that and a song like Punch Drunk or Surface to Air for me. Those I love, or can love at times, Pantomime is always just fine.

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Postby TinCanPhone » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:29 pm

https://youtu.be/awcQj7ix1nM

It does seem like a popular dance number. I've also seen it used during ice skating routines

Ty
Privileged

Postby Ty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Pantomime, Look Alive and While All The Vultures Feed are the legends on the B Side list. Makes you wonder how songs like Southern Girl or Paper Shoes made it onto their respective albums...

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Survivor: B-sides (FINAL)

Postby Jelger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 pm

For voting out Punch Drunk, you guys must be... well. Yeah. What a song. It's certainly deserving of a spot on Light Grenades in terms of quality. Not sure if I see it actually blend in with the rest of the songs, but damn... What a song. See the recording of the only time I had the privilege of seeing it live here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE B-side. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
Pantomime
Look Alive

Songs eliminated:
3 Punch Drunk
4 Surface To Air
5 Crowded Elevator
7 Monuments and Melodies
8 Admiration
9 Follow
10 Black Heart Inertia
11 Midnight Swim
12 Neither of Us Can See
13 Make A Move
14 Anything
15 Hold Me Down
16 Rebel Girls
17 Martini

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: B-sides (FINAL)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Man, 'Surface to Air' or 'Punch Drunk' not being in the finals with 'Look Alive' just seems so odd.
I'm pulling for 'Look Alive' at this point, so I gotta vote Pantomime again.
-Brandi

We stand undefined

Evanescence-Imperfection

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Ugh both these songs....

Can we do a recount?

Anyways, going with pantomime as the #1. Look alive sounds more like a b side than pantomime I think

Ty
Privileged

Postby Ty » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 pm

I feel like I can't even vote, both of these are in my top 10 Incubus songs. Tough tough choice

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Postby TinCanPhone » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:58 am

Ty wrote:I feel like I can't even vote, both of these are in my top 10 Incubus songs. Tough tough choice

I share the same sentiment, only I feel that way because survivor is over after this :(.

That is unless you got something else juicy planned...?

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 am

After this, one final run: Ultimate Survivor with all the winners.

Return to “Incubus”