Incubus Survivor: 8 (FINAL)

Talk about anything Incubus!

Moderators: clever medicine!, phil collins, redonkulousemu, Zinger, torres, Jelger, Justanothercrow421

Jelger
Zedeveel

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 3)

Postby Jelger » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:15 am

I get that. I really really like Digital Forest, but it doesn't have great replay value. The videos of it live were also pretty boring, to be honest. No wonder that it was cut short in a live setting. They could've fleshed it out a bit more. I still think it's a great track and shouldn't go out so soon.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Went for Familiar Faces this round. Sounding like a relic from the Light Grenades era, I actually thought quite highly of it when the album first came out, but listening to it now it's quite obvious that it was chopped up severely by Skrillex. Going straight to the chorus from the verse makes it sound rushed and incomplete. It's like the song wants to be over before it's even started.

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Postby TinCanPhone » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Soap wrote:Went for Familiar Faces this round. Sounding like a relic from the Light Grenades era, I actually thought quite highly of it when the album first came out, but listening to it now it's quite obvious that it was chopped up severely by Skrillex. Going straight to the chorus from the verse makes it sound rushed and incomplete. It's like the song wants to be over before it's even started.

I wonder how the original mix sounded. I like the song but feel like they could have done more with the social commentary...I think it's about trump supporters and people you thought you knew, but I feel like Brandon could have been more direct about it like megalomaniac

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 4)

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:01 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: 8! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When? and Trust Fall (Side A). Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Make No Sound in the Digital Forest has left us. I really really enjoy it, and it was the first time on my first listen of the album that I thought: oh yeah, this is (part of) what I want Incubus to be. However, I get why a majority voted for it. The band could've done more with it, it's repetitive and drags because of it. No wonder the live version is cut short. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of 8. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
No Fun
State of the Art
Glitterbomb
Loneliest
Familiar Faces
Love In A Time of Surveillance
Throw Out The Map

Songs eliminated:
8 Make No Sound In The Digital Forest
9 Nimble Bastard
10 Undefeated
11 When I Became A Man

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 4)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Voted SOTA again.
Still holding out hope that Loneliest lasts a couple more rounds.
I'll probably be offiline for a while. In North Florida and bracing for Irma. All my fellow Florida peeps, stay safe!!
-Brandi

We stand undefined
Can't be drawn with a straight line
This will not be our ending
We are alive, we are alive

Evanescence-Imperfection

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 4)

Postby TinCanPhone » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 am

The Idler Wheel wrote:Voted SOTA again.
Still holding out hope that Loneliest lasts a couple more rounds.
I'll probably be offiline for a while. In North Florida and bracing for Irma. All my fellow Florida peeps, stay safe!!

Voted SOTA, although the song's sentiment has grown on me. Just had a bday a few days ago (33) and definitely feel like getting old sucks.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 5)

Postby Jelger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: 8! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself,Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When? and Trust Fall (Side A). Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Build to spill... State of the Art. One of my personal favorites from the album is eliminated. A song I really like, even though upon first listen I claimed I would never love it. I think it's a strong performance mainly by Brandon. Though that first live performance at Conan... Ouch, that was painful. He has come a long way and such much better now on this one live. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of 8. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus.

VOTE

Songs left:
No Fun
Glitterbomb
Loneliest
Familiar Faces
Throw Out The Map

Songs eliminated:
7 State of the Art
9 Nimble Bastard
10 Undefeated
11 When I Became A Man

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 6)

Postby Jelger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 am

People, what are you doing to me? Voting my favorite song out? Damn. Throw Out The Map is out. I guess shouting Shaka Khan at the end really ruins it for some. Joking aside, I can understand some parts are less than likeable, but I really enjoy the hell out of this song. Especially the pre-chorus! Maybe leave some more of those on the album next time, boys. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

So let's go ahead and VOTE here on your LEAST FAVORITE song of 8. I'll try to post a new round every two or three days and will also post the survivor over at /r/incubus

VOTE

Songs left:
No Fun
Glitterbomb
Loneliest
Familiar Faces

Songs eliminated:
6 Throw Out the Map
7 State of the Art
9 Nimble Bastard
10 Undefeated
11 When I Became A Man

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 6)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Hey everybody,
Finally got power and internet back after Irma tore through Jacksonville. Glad to be back on the boards.
Anyways, a shocker happened while I was gone. Wow! I did not expect 'Throw Out The Map' to be taken out at this point. However, I am beyond thrilled 'Loneliest' made it to the Top 5.
I really don't want to vote anything off at this point, but I have to go with 'Familiar Faces'. Great song, just not in the Top 4 for me.
-Brandi

We stand undefined

Evanescence-Imperfection

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 6)

Postby TinCanPhone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 pm

The Idler Wheel wrote:Hey everybody,
Finally got power and internet back after Irma tore through Jacksonville. Glad to be back on the boards.
Anyways, a shocker happened while I was gone. Wow! I did not expect 'Throw Out The Map' to be taken out at this point. However, I am beyond thrilled 'Loneliest' made it to the Top 5.
I really don't want to vote anything off at this point, but I have to go with 'Familiar Faces'. Great song, just not in the Top 4 for me.

Glad to hear you are safe!

TOTM was a shocker for me as well. It had elements of some of my most favorite incubus songs (out from under, under my umbrella). Maybe it would have faired better if it was combined with digital forest as one song.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 7)

Postby Jelger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 am

Well, well, well. The first song I won't be able to share a live video of, is eliminated: Familiar Faces. The most Light Grenades-sounding song on 8 if you ask me. It got far and I think it is only more proof that it's a shame the band hasn't touched it live yet (maybe tonight, Ecuador?). So, carry on and enjoy no live video, because there is none.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
No Fun
Glitterbomb
Loneliest

Songs eliminated:
5 Familiar Faces
6 Throw Out the Map
7 State of the Art
9 Nimble Bastard
10 Undefeated
11 When I Became A Man

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 7)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Voting 'No Fun' this time.
'Loneliest' may go down, but not without a fight!!
-Brandi

We stand undefined

Evanescence-Imperfection

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Postby TinCanPhone » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Voted no fun but at this point it's such a hard decision

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 pm

This whole survivor has been tough for me, outside of Nimble and WIBAM. And even Nimble has its merits.
-Brandi

We stand undefined

Evanescence-Imperfection

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 pm

I rate Nimble and SOTA much higher than the rest of the votes. And Loneliest much lower.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Jelger wrote:I rate Nimble and SOTA much higher than the rest of the votes. And Loneliest much lower.

That's the fun part, though...seeing the varying opinions. Especially with a band like Incubus, I expect that and love it when it happens.
-Brandi

We stand undefined

Evanescence-Imperfection

Jelger
Zedeveel

Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 8)

Postby Jelger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:13 am

Hi guys! How's everyone? Next up: 8! For everybody who is new to these things, we already tackled Fungus Amongus , S.C.I.E.N.C.E , Make Yourself, Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades, If Not Now, When? and Trust Fall (Side A). Remember to vote your LEAST favorite. There was some confusion about that, but if you vote your favorite... it might be gone soon!

Loneliest is out! I made no secret that this was the song I was voting for since Undefeated went out. I think it's miles better than Undefeated, but suffers from similar problems. There are elements in this songs I like, but I'd like to hear them in a different context. Also, I feel the Massive Attack/Bowie's Blackstar influence is clear, but it fails to pay good homage to those artists and that record. But when I was creating this post and looking for a good live version, I did feel that I might've been too harsh on it in the past. It sounded good live, like everything is better in balance. So maybe this is the pivotal moment for me and this song. Who knows. Enjoy a live version here.

VOTE

VOTE

Songs left:
No Fun
Glitterbomb

Songs eliminated:
4 Loneliest
5 Familiar Faces
6 Throw Out the Map
7 State of the Art
9 Nimble Bastard
10 Undefeated
11 When I Became A Man

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 8)

Postby The Idler Wheel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 am

Aww, man. It sucks that 'Loneliest' is gone.
At least it makes this round pretty easy for me. Voting 'No Fun', again.
-Brandi

We stand undefined

Evanescence-Imperfection

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Re: Incubus Survivor: 8 (Round 8)

Postby TinCanPhone » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Hang in there surveillance!

hilikus_PT