Stranger Things

Discuss your favorite streaming series, YouTube channels, movies, TV-shows or games.

Moderators: phil collins, redonkulousemu, torres, Jelger, wat

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Stranger Things

Postby TinCanPhone » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Completely late to the party but my god this show is awesome!!! Haven't gotten to 2 yet but plan on doing that tonight

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Re: Stranger Things

Postby The Idler Wheel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Yes, Stranger Things is awesome!!

Season 2 takes a couple of episodes to get going and flesh out what the overall arc of the season is about, but I really enjoyed it.
-Brandi

When prey softly outwits its predator
Such is a sight to see

While All The Vultures Feed- Incubus

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 am

Season 1 is ace. The first two episodes were genuinely scary and the rest of the season had such a nice tension vs. cute moments with the kids. The second season is still good, but in my opinion a drop from season one. One episode in particular is completely unnecessary and just pretty bad all around.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 am

Jelger wrote: One episode in particular is completely unnecessary and just pretty bad all around.

As far as THAT episode...I don't feel it was completely unnecessary, but it was poorly executed. I didn't hate it though, and it didn't ruin my overall enjoyment of the season.

Also, there were some characters I like in S2 WAY more than I did in S1, so that's a plus.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 am

Binged watch 2 and here are my thoughts:

Enjoyed the storyline more than 1, but felt like mad max and her brother weren't really necessary characters. Other than getting Lucas a romantic interest, they really don't advance the plot all that much. I would have sacrificed those characters for more monsters and a better glimpse at what the upside down really is.

In 1, the show's biggest strength is the chemistry between 11 and all the boys....which they completely deviate from in season 2. And yeah, *that* episode is poorly written. So that random group of thugs just follows 8 around as she messes w people that hurt her before? It's pretty weak. Again, more upside down or monsters would have been better.

Lastly, why are people obsessed w Barb? Bob was a way way way more interesting character.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am

Bob>>>>Barb absolutely!!

ETA...I am somewhat worried about where they are going to take Season 3. I do think they need to expand the map beyond Hawkins and introduce more threats than what's currently in the Upside Down, but I don't want it to turn into a whole season like Ep 7, cause that really would suck.

I think Max is okay, and I want to see her and Eleven get close.

Also, I want Will to get a damn break and have some fun every now and then like the others.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Poor will! Wanting to see him have some fun too. That beIng said

****Spoiler alert****

Dustin and Hopper got sprayed by that plant thing in the tunnels. I wonder if they will be the hosts for more creatures this time around.

Blind Melon
Zedeveel

Postby Blind Melon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm

TinCanPhone wrote:****Spoiler alert****

Dustin and Hopper got sprayed by that plant thing in the tunnels. I wonder if they will be the hosts for more creatures this time around.

I was wondering about that as well.

What I wasn't expecting to work was the bromance between Steve and Dustin, and Hopper acting like a father.

What I'm worried about is, the first season had more of an authentic feel, and this season started to flex its production a bit more, so I hope it doesn't get overly produced in the next one. Also, how many times can the Upside Down be a threat but then sorta locked away in the finale only to become a threat throughout the following season only to be locked up again... very formulaic. Instead, I hope season 3 ends with a huge cliffhanger and season 4 starts right where season 3 left off. The Duffer Bros have stated they want to at least do 2 more seasons, so who knows? I just hope it doesn't drag on past 5 seasons... unless it gets really good.

Random side note: I wish they had the spoiler tag module turned on in these forums, it'd make things like this easier!
Last edited by Blind Melon on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us.

The Idler Wheel
Hot Dancer

Postby The Idler Wheel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:43 pm

Blind Melon wrote:
TinCanPhone wrote:****Spoiler alert****

I was wondering about that as well.

What I wasn't expecting to work was the bromance between Steve and Dustin, and Hopper acting like a father.

What I'm worried about is, the first season had more of an authentic feel, and this season started to flex its production a bit more, so I hope it doesn't get overly produced in the next one. Also, how many times can the Upside Down be a threat but then sorta locked away in the finale only to become a threat throughout the following season only to be locked up again... very formulaic. Instead, I hope season 3 ends with a huge cliffhanger that starts right where season 3 left off. The Duffer Bros have stated they want to at least do 2 more seasons, so who knows? I just hope it doesn't drag on past 5 seasons... unless it gets really good.

Random side note: I wish they had the spoiler tag module turned on in these forums, it'd make things like this easier!

This is my biggest fear. I don't want the endless cycle of "whatever is in the Upside Down attacks/infects someone and Eleven saves the day at the end" rinse and repeat. That will get old fast. I also agree that there needs to be some consequences or a cliffhanger of some kind for closing the gate that should happen right at the onset in S3. Maybe Eleven loses her abilities or her abilities change or get transferred to someone else...something to really shake it up.
-Brandi

Such is a sight to see

Jelger
Azwethinkweist

Postby Jelger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:25 am

Blind Melon wrote:Random side note: I wish they had the spoiler tag module turned on in these forums, it'd make things like this easier!

I wish new people could sign up to this forum :wink:
We can't have it all, haha.

I get the fears you guys have and share them. There are so many pitfalls for this series, that it's going to be interesting to see if the producers/writers will be able to avoid them all. I'm guessing more people like 11 and 8 will show up, some will form a threat, some won't. I feel this will slowly move from the sci-fi thriller-genre to the more superhuman-genre slowly.

TinCanPhone
Turbo Geek

Postby TinCanPhone » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Yeah 2 felt way over produced. I think the writing is good and they definitely will go back to the rawer quality that season 1 had... I hope.

Return to “Idiot Box”