Book Rec

Discuss TV shows, movies, or what video game you are unable to give up.

Moderators: phil collins, redonkulousemu, torres, Jelger, wat

BeccaWilsonxx
Familiar

Book Rec

Postby BeccaWilsonxx » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:37 pm

I didn't see a thread for the topic so, here it goes. Hoping to see if there is anyone out there who still reads those paperbacks... I would love some recommendations on a good book, series or whatever. I'm interested in anything at the moment. Thanks.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Re: Book Rec

Postby Jelger » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:18 am

If you want something that's light on the surface, but invokes deeper thought if you think about it a little longer, read Er Ist Wieder Da (Look Who's Back). A novel about Hitler waking up in Berlin in 2011, thinking the war is still ongoing. He has to learn to adapt to a new era, where everything is different. Really gets you thinking about the likes of Trump in the end.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:52 pm

I'll give recommendations for fiction and non fiction from the books I've read so far this year.

Fiction

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
An intellectually disabled man becomes the subject of a new medication to improve IQ, but as his intelligence increases his perception of the world he lives in becomes drastically different.

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
A psychologist starts a personal and social experiment by determining his every action by the roll of the dice.

Non Fiction

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
A first hand account of the 1996 disaster on Mount Everest. Same author as Into the Wild.

The Fight by Norman Mailer
Mailer travels to Zaire and join Muhammad Ali's camp in the lead up to his historic fight against George Forman.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:29 am

Ah damn, good that you mention Into Thin Air. Always wanted to read that and never did.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:54 pm

It's a darn good yarn. It was interesting to read it before watching the recent movie Everest, which was based on Beck Weather's account I believe. Which is understandable because his experience on the mountain was very dramatic and had a Hollywood ending. There's some controversy over how accurate Krakauer's account is but that doesn't stop it from being an enjoyable read.

BeccaWilsonxx
Familiar

Postby BeccaWilsonxx » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Thank you for the suggestions! Seriously excited to read and get back with you guys about these.
Into Thin Air was very good! I read it a few years ago during my first semester in college. (Wow! That reminds me how old I am getting.)
The Dice Man sounds really interesting. May check that one out first.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:02 pm

I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It might be a bit of a cliche to recommend it, considering how popular it is, but it really is quite good. I got the same feeling at the end of it as I did at the end of Requiem for a Dream; a no hope, no light at the end of the tunnel, you are doomed kind of feeling. The film adaptation was good but it didn't quite capture that overwhelming hopelessness in the finale.

TinCanPhone
The Karate Kid

Postby TinCanPhone » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:52 pm

This is how you lose her.

Makes you appreciate your sig other more.

Return to “Idiot Box”