Last movie seen

Discuss TV shows, movies, or what video game you are unable to give up.

Moderators: phil collins, redonkulousemu, torres, Jelger, wat

Soap
Turbo Geek

Re: Last movie seen

Postby Soap » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 pm

IncubusBelgium wrote:Nocturnal Animals 9/10
So much thrills. It goes deep in your strongest fears, brilliant actors (and Jake Gyllhenhaal is not one of my favorite), good scenario until the end. Flawless.

Shouldn't it be 10/10 then? Lol. I've been wanting to watch this movie since it came out. It had such a short run in theatres I missed out. But I see it's at the rental place (yeah they still exist!) so that'll be me on my next day off.

Jason.
The Karate Kid

Postby Jason. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks for the words on Nocturnal Animals! I loved it! Man, when she starts the book! It had me! And I did not recognize Aaron Taylor-Johnson until almost the end of the movie. I tried not to look at the screen during the opening credits! ;)

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:12 am

Beauty and The Beast - 6/10
Would have given it a 7 but a lot of things bothered me about this movie.
- Horrible Beast CGI, obvious green screens used in the town scenes.
- Story changes that made several character decisions less weighty (west wing "get out" scene, "show me my father" scene)
- 1991 Beast > 2017 Beast
- Emma Watson was okay, but not perfectly cast. Felt she only got the role to lure Potter fans
- Weird times when I felt the characters had foresight / already knew the story

That said, Luke Evans was perfect as Gaston.

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 am

For work:

Fast & Furious 8: 5/10
You know what you're getting: ridicilous over the top action and Vin Diesel grunting his way through the movie.

Before I Fall: 2/10
Horrible movie. Very predictable, horrendous characters and equally bad acting. Groundhog Day with teenagers. Annoying teenagers at that.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Mon May 01, 2017 5:26 am

Passengers
I liked it. For once I'm okay with such a sweet, sugarcoated ending. I did not expect they'd tie all loose ends by the end of the movie and I feel like it was a conscious decision. It would've been such an easy decision to make a bittersweet ending if either of the characters had made the 'life-changing' decisions upon reaching not only one, but two major crossroads in the film. But I'm glad they trudged forward.
8/10

Jelger
Zedeveel

Postby Jelger » Mon May 01, 2017 5:55 am

Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2. 6/10

Goes overboard with the humor, and not as enjoyable as the first.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 pm

tingky wrote:Passengers
I liked it. For once I'm okay with such a sweet, sugarcoated ending. I did not expect they'd tie all loose ends by the end of the movie and I feel like it was a conscious decision. It would've been such an easy decision to make a bittersweet ending if either of the characters had made the 'life-changing' decisions upon reaching not only one, but two major crossroads in the film. But I'm glad they trudged forward.
8/10

I haven't seen the movie but I did watch a very interesting video essay on youtube by nerdwriter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gksxu-yeWcU&t=0s) where he rearranges the movie to make Chris Pratt's character far more mysterious and sinister.

I watched the original Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo yesterday. After reading the book and seeing the David Fincher version, I have to say this adaptation is my least favourite. There were a lot of details that were overlooked or were simply missing and I think the overall tone of the book was portrayed better in Fincher's version.
However, I did think Noomi Rapace was a better Salander than Rooney Mara.
I'll still watch the other two just to see how they translate to the screen.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 am

Soap wrote:
tingky wrote:Passengers
8/10

I haven't seen the movie but I did watch a very interesting video essay on youtube by nerdwriter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gksxu-yeWcU&t=0s) where he rearranges the movie to make Chris Pratt's character far more mysterious and sinister.

That is very true. But to me it would've made Chris' character more of a villainous psychopath - which I think was not the goal of the producers. I'm glad they told the story chronologically because it humanizes him, and I fully understood why he made those decisions because I, the audience, was there with him when he underwent the pain of eternal solitude. Had they revealed his 'back-story' at the end, I would've been too consumed by hatred towards his character that any attempt at humanizing him would be too late. I think the moral dilemma of having to doom somebody to the same fate as yourself to rid yourself of loneliness would have been too alien for the audience to understand if they told the story from Jen's perspective.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:16 am

The Edge of Seventeen
9/10
I really enjoyed the script of this film.

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:21 am

Bad Moms - 3/10
Nice Guys - 8/10
My Blind Brother - 6/10
Colossal - 7/10

tingky
The Fly Guy

Postby tingky » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:04 pm

Dirty Grandpa - 5/10
Get a Job - 4/10
No Stranger Than Love - 5/10
Why Him - 6/10
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - 7/10

I am downing comedies as fast as I can. I really should check the reviews first before watching.

Soap
Turbo Geek

Postby Soap » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Paterson

Damn I love Jim Jarmusch. I was a bit iffy about the concept of this film; a bus driver who writes poetry, but it was a fascinating watch. JJ has a real gift for capturing the little moments in life. Something as innocuous as bumping into an acquaintance in the street can be a major plot point.

Return to “Idiot Box”